Sox sign Gordon Beckham, designate Viciedo for Assignment

flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
Yeah, I think after the off season going rolling, it was obvious that this was what had to have happened, since we never got transaction within the 6 months time.

Yes. Besides, 61 plate appearances of Gordon Beckham isn't going to net you a minor leaguer you could really say has a chance.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
Yes. Besides, 61 plate appearances of Gordon Beckham isn't going to net you a minor leaguer you could really say has a chance.

Depends on what the structure of the deal was. We have no idea if it was a set of players to pick from, or a set of conditions that needed to be met.

You guys think he would take a minor league deal with an invite to ST?

Because if he signs a ML deal, who gets bumped off 40 man? Leury? He might not be good right now but he's still only 23 and I would not give up on him yet because I think he would definitely get claimed.

I found this tidbit from an article about the Angels interesting.

The Angels were hopeful of bringing back the recently non-tendered Gordon Beckham, but they weren't willing to meet his demands -- financially or with regards to playing time -- and now figure to move on without him.

http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article/10727...y-partner-in-15

I'm not kidding when I say this - the worst thing about a potential Beckham signing is what we'd have to listen to from Hawk.

But look at how tepid that tweet is. "It's possible he may likely come to the Sox." Way to go out on a limb there, Source.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
Depends on what the structure of the deal was. We have no idea if it was a set of players to pick from, or a set of conditions that needed to be met.

I couldn't imagine it would have been much. The White Sox would have let him go for the waiver claim at that point. If it were a set of players, I am sure that set is one that probably aren't going to be in the Angels organization in 2015 anyway.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
You do realize any player they would get would be totally worthless. They paid his salary, probably gave a token amount more if anything, and that will be that.

Oh yeah, i know they won't get anything. I just wanted to hear it from a Merkin or a Hayes. Usually those things are officially announced in the transactions, and it's rare that nothing ever got reported involving a trade of a guy that played in the majors for six years.

So all in all, save $2M. Interesting that they ended up designating Viciedo so soon. Guess there was no market. I still think Viciedo is the type of guy that will go to some crappy team and eventually put together some pretty good offensive years. That said, we clearly gave him a lot of opportunities.

The key to all of this is that we aren't handing the job to GB.