Sox sign Gordon Beckham, designate Viciedo for Assignment

flavum

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they asked about Beckham in the seminar I was at, Hahn and Robin said, "Vince Coleman", because Hahn had stated that was all the news we were going to get that day.

I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, but when someone asked about James Shields, the answer also was "Vince Coleman".

I am a little surprised they brought him back. I am a fan of his, but like was posted above, a return to the scene of the crime seems a little strange. Had he been with another team for those years, it would seem to make more sense. But for the haters, at least you know he will have to earn his time now. He isn't sharpied into the every day line up. The talent is there.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
Gordon Beckham hit .293/.349/.431 vs LHP in '14. Gives #WhiteSox platoon option for Conor Gillaspie or Micah Johnson & strong glove at 2B.

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/560520189021007872

"Strong glove" is a very debatable phrase when it comes to Beckham.

I can see the reasons this was done but it just leaves me with a bad gut feeling. An instinctual negative reaction, like why are we going down this failed road again, I thought we were moving into a new era, etc.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
When they asked about Beckham in the seminar I was at, Hahn and Robin said, "Vince Coleman", because Hahn had stated that was all the news we were going to get that day.

I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, but when someone asked about James Shields, the answer also was "Vince Coleman".

That means we're getting James Shields!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
I am a little surprised they brought him back. I am a fan of his, but like was posted above, a return to the scene of the crime seems a little strange. Had he been with another team for those years, it would seem to make more sense. But for the haters, at least you know he will have to earn his time now. He isn't sharpied into the every day line up. The talent is there.

Do we actually know that though? Reassure me.

Hahn said last week he'd be interested in "somebody who could maybe play against lefties and play good defense at third, short, second."

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/560522877208784897

chisox view micah johnson and carlos sanchez as competing for 2b job. bonifacio & beckham provide vet depth.

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/560522391382933504

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
Do we actually know that though? Reassure me.

Beckham .245/.307/.375

Bonafacio .262/.319/.341

Bonofacio $4 million

Beckham $2 million

I would still be shocked if the White Sox waive Tank. Someone will take him for very little. The fact is, they would only be on the hook for the $750k. It is worth a good look in Spring Training.

The Viciedo game worns were $100 at Soxfest. A sure sign he was a goner.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:38 PM)
Not necessarily. I still think they go with bench of: catcher, Bonifacio, Beckham, and an OF. One of Sanchez/Micah makes the roster and the other is in Charlotte.

Yeah, that's true. Shuck has some speed, so he can pinch run.

It just seems like they overly like Leury Garcia.

Edited by flavum