Sox sign Gordon Beckham, designate Viciedo for Assignment

flavum

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the move given he stays on the bench, maybe plays against LHP from time to time, and maybe a defensive replacement for Micah in late innings.

I am actually pretty upset about the DFA of Viciedo. My reasoning, he is only 25 who can still hit the ball out of the ballpark. Yes, he's a bad OFer, he costs 4.4 million, but with all of that he still has tons of power that you cannot teach or get easily, I would of taken the financial hit that he brings and designate Wilkins who is older and hasn't shown anything in the MLB.

I would of kept Viciedo as the 4th OFer.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
In totality, a bench of Beckham, Bonifacio, Soto, and Shuck doesn't look too bad.

That's a good VETERAN bench. Veteran being key there, because I think they know their roles by this time in their career, all have seen success and failure as a starter, and now want to win. That's my opinion.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
I like the move given he stays on the bench, maybe plays against LHP from time to time, and maybe a defensive replacement for Micah in late innings.

I am actually pretty upset about the DFA of Viciedo. My reasoning, he is only 25 who can still hit the ball out of the ballpark. Yes, he's a bad OFer, he costs 4.4 million, but with all of that he still has tons of power that you cannot teach or get easily, I would of taken the financial hit that he brings and designate Wilkins who is older and hasn't shown anything in the MLB.

I would of kept Viciedo as the 4th OFer.

I like Tank more than most and for the reasons you give, but unless someone goes down, there are limited ABs. I can't see Tank flourishing in that situation. It wouldn't surprise me if he went somewhere and became a decent bat.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
I like Tank more than most and for the reasons you give, but unless someone goes down, there are limited ABs. I can't see Tank flourishing in that situation. It wouldn't surprise me if he went somewhere and became a decent bat.

I like Tank more than most as well because I can see the potential there. Like you said before Dick, it would not surprise me if he went to another team and ended up having a decent career.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
That bench is BS.

I'm not loving the options for the 4th OF, but that's a damn good bench if you ask me. I would be fine with Beckham, Bonifacio, or any of the backup catcher options starting on any given day.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
Or they could have eaten ZERO DOLLARS by non-tendering him in December like they should have.

No, they shouldn't have. They didn't know they would sign Melky Cabrera. You don't sign Melky, and you non-tender Viciedo, then who is your starting LF? Jordan Danks? JB Shuck? You want that?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
Or they could have eaten ZERO DOLLARS by non-tendering him in December like they should have.

True dat.

Anyway, I appreciate that his salary is low and what the Sox have said about his role, but I am very pessimistic about their ability to stick to it.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
I'm not loving the options for the 4th OF, but that's a damn good bench if you ask me. I would be fine with Beckham, Bonifacio, or any of the backup catcher options starting on any given day.

With Beckham in the fold, isn't Bonifacio technically the 4th OF at least on the days Gordon plays?

Edited by Dick Allen