Sox sign Gordon Beckham, designate Viciedo for Assignment

flavum

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really like Viciedo, but the Sox are dangerously low on corner OFs with any hitting ability. If Avisail gets hurt or just stinks, there is no back up plan at all. Meanwhile, between Sanchez, Johnson, Saladino, Leury, Bonafacio and now Beckham, we have six potential 2B. It's a little strange.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
He's just as crappy against lefties as he is against righties. If the Bonifacio move didn't happen then I could sort of see how this would make sense as he can play multiple positions but no thanks now.

He was very good against LHP last year.

.203/.242/.318 versus RH

.293/.349/.431 versus LH

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
Matt Adams ‏@2015WhiteSox 9m9 minutes ago

Conor in 2014: .300/.360/.444 vs RHP .221/.248/.317 vs LHP Beckham in 2014: .202/.242/.318 vs RHP .293/.349/.431 vs LHP

FWIW, UZR was not kind to Beckham at 3B last year. 78 innings only, but that would be the worst UZR/150 of any regular third baseman.

This move is stupid. Seriously.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
Mrs. Hickory Huskers wholly approves of the reacquisition of Gordon Beckham and is really hoping that Carlos Quentin gets added as well.

Crazy as it sounds, you could actually argue that Quentin makes some sense for this team right now!

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
Crazy as it sounds, you could actually argue that Quentin makes some sense for this team right now!

Except he is essentially the same player you jut dfa'd, but without the lotto ticket upside and for double the money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
Matt Adams ‏@2015WhiteSox 9m9 minutes ago

Conor in 2014: .300/.360/.444 vs RHP .221/.248/.317 vs LHP Beckham in 2014: .202/.242/.318 vs RHP .293/.349/.431 vs LHP

Career splits are much more "meh" for Beckham vs. LHP. Question is, on film, were there adjustments made against LHP that we think are sustainable.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
Career splits are much more "meh" for Beckham vs. LHP. Question is, on film, were there adjustments made against LHP that we think are sustainable.

Ya, he's just not going to do that again. Just like Bonifacio isn't going to do what he did last year against lefties but at least with Emilio he has a decent success rate in his career against lhp.

There's surely nothing to be outraged about with this move, I just don't get it.

I'll say one thing. I kind of think we should have just held on to DV till spring at this point. Basically in case someone went down early, you at least know you have a bat with some potential upside and power you could plug in. Now if there is an injury to one of our starting OF'ers, we are looking at some severe scraps replacing them.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
Except he is essentially the same player you jut dfa'd, but without the lotto ticket upside and for double the money.

Quentin is a surer bet than and clear upgrade from Viciedo. He's making $8 mil in 2015, much of which I'm sure the Padres would eat, making the money about the same as Viciedo.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
Eaton had some hamstring issues and consequently on the disable list a few times last year. Ichiro may have been a good fill in for him at leadoff if Adam was on the mend.

Ichiro would have been the perfect fit. I'm dissapointed we didn't sign him.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 09:45 PM)
Eaton had some hamstring issues and consequently on the disable list a few times last year. Ichiro may have been a good fill in for him at leadoff if Adam was on the mend.

Bonifacio would be the leadoff man/CF replacement, it would seem.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
I'll say one thing. I kind of think we should have just held on to DV till spring at this point. Basically in case someone went down early, you at least know you have a bat with some potential upside and power you could plug in. Now if there is an injury to one of our starting OF'ers, we are looking at some severe scraps replacing them.

Yeah, that's my only issue with this. The Sox are really low on MLB OF options...we're an Avi Garcia or Melky Cabrera injury away from some pretty gross options in the OF.

Gotta imagine they'll dumpster dive for another option, assuming Viciedo either gets traded or released. Tyler Colvin, Nate Schierholtz, Ryan Ludwig, Nolan Reimold, Reed Johnson are probably the best FA options are this juncture.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
Ichiro would have been the perfect fit. I'm dissapointed we didn't sign him.

i too would have love to have Ichiro. i really don't want to jinks anyone but i am not convince that Garcia can go a whole season without injury of some sort.

with the lineup the sox have now, Bonifacio is the cf and leadoff if Eaton gets hurt.