Top 30 White Sox Prospects

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
Here it is. Read it. We put lots of work into it, and I think it's a darn good list.

Thoughts? Disagreements? Are we insane on someone, one way or the other? Anyone we missed?

you mean you had me waiting for this, this, what you compile here... i can't believe it... i mean how do you expect ..... this is what i think of it.

great work... fantastic job... i can't believe i i actually agree with you.

now i can see how this system rose in the ranking. looking good.

sox in 15

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
I can't buy Rondon above Saladino. He was a near lock for the club. That changed yesterday but he's still probably the first position player up. Of course I'd probably Rondon outside the top 25 unless he can hit even just a little.

You can probably blame me for where Rondon sits. I had him ranked higher than anyone (#7 prospect in my list). He's an elite defensive shortstop who has made strides with his bat and has great wheels. Plays a premium defensive position and in this current era, the value of defense has never been higher. Worse case, Rondon is a glove first utility guy. Best case, his bat grows (and he has made progress and is still young for his respected levels) and you are talking about a guy who is a potential gold glove starting shortstop who can also steal some bases (has to improve his reads, however, the speed is there). Upside on Rondon, given his respective position, is very high in my eyes.

Saladino is a guy who at best is a utility guy, imo (and I think that is really Rondon's floor). I personally have the same opinion of Carlos Sanchez. I'm not knocking them but I think it is highly likely they end up as quality utility guys and I think Rondon's upside is far better than that.

Minor quibble, but I don't think Anderson is close to an 80 speed. Last thing I read, I think it was Callis, said he was not the "70" he had thought before - more like a 65. At least, that's what I thought I'd read.

Nice list.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
Minor quibble, but I don't think Anderson is close to an 80 speed. Last thing I read, I think it was Callis, said he was not the "70" he had thought before - more like a 65. At least, that's what I thought I'd read.

Nice list.

Those grades are sometimes funny, because they vary more significantly between scouts than you'd think. There are a handful of very fast guys in the system - Anderson, Johnson, Engel, Walker, a few others - that I've seen grades ranging from 65 or 70, up to 80 on.

Top 30 fun facts...

--The players that were hardest to evaluate, and had the widest range of voting slots:

Jacob May: ranged from 8th to Unranked

Cleuluis Rondon: ranged from 7th to 26th

Chris Beck: ranged from 8th to 20th

Kevan Smith: ranged from 14th to 30th

Adam Engel: ranged from 17th to Unranked

--6 of the T30 were not on the last list, either because they are new or just made a jump. But none are higher than 18th.

--The players from 1 to 13, and 15 through 22, all got a T30 vote from all 8 voters.

--Draft round pedigree (or non-draft) across the list by round:

1st: 3

*1-S: 2

2nd: 5

3rd: 2

4th: 1

5th: 1

7th: 3

9th: 1

15th: 2

17th: 1

19th: 1

Intl: 6

US NDFA: 2

--One of the 7th rounders and the only 19th were overslot guys (Michalczewski, Engel)

--This one is cool: of the Top 30, five were acquired via trade, and the others are all organic (signed/drafted by Sox)

One thing, why the Fry high ranking? I like him, but not that high because I need to see more of him in the minors.

Also, I think it's a little criminal that Peter isn't ranked in the top 30. He might not of been highly regarded, but he proved his worth in half a season to deserve a ranking between at least 20-30.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 06:31 PM)
One thing, why the Fry high ranking? I like him, but not that high because I need to see more of him in the minors.

Also, I think it's a little criminal that Peter isn't ranked in the top 30. He might not of been highly regarded, but he proved his worth in half a season to deserve a ranking between at least 20-30.

i like fry, i have or would have him even higher.

Peter, i agree. but let him produce.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)

I want to see more of Peter, and there's a chance, but a non-top 30 ranking is appropriate for him. Many, many guys hit the dickens out of the ball at rookie ball only to fall by the wayside. I look at the numbers he put up at Winston-Salem moreso than I do the numbers he put up at Great Falls. Those were not as good:

.236/.277/.303, 4.3% BB%, 13.8% K%, 1 SB.

He hasn't been written off and he definitely received votes, but we need to see more of him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)

Fry was a T100 draft prospect taken a little behind that status, and he's got the right frame and stuff for a starter. I had him slightly lower than others I think, but teens seems about right for him.

Peter killed PIO pitching and was double-promoted, but that was more a function of the lack of talent at Kanny at that time than anything else (so no one to logically promoted one level). A+ looked like more of a challenge for him. Tools-wise he just isn't real exciting. That said, he did show very good contact and the hit tool was more advanced than people thought, plus he's got a cannon arm. He's intriguing, but pretty interchangeable value-wise with the few guys above and below him, to me. I think 31 (which is what he was essentially) is about right.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
I want to see more of Peter, and there's a chance, but a non-top 30 ranking is appropriate for him. Many, many guys hit the dickens out of the ball at rookie ball only to fall by the wayside. I look at the numbers he put up at Winston-Salem moreso than I do the numbers he put up at Great Falls. Those were not as good:

.236/.277/.303, 4.3% BB%, 13.8% K%, 1 SB.

He hasn't been written off and he definitely received votes, but we need to see more of him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
Fry was a T100 draft prospect taken a little behind that status, and he's got the right frame and stuff for a starter. I had him slightly lower than others I think, but teens seems about right for him.

Peter killed PIO pitching and was double-promoted, but that was more a function of the lack of talent at Kanny at that time than anything else (so no one to logically promoted one level). A+ looked like more of a challenge for him. Tools-wise he just isn't real exciting. That said, he did show very good contact and the hit tool was more advanced than people thought, plus he's got a cannon arm. He's intriguing, but pretty interchangeable value-wise with the few guys above and below him, to me. I think 31 (which is what he was essentially) is about right.

Thank you for the explanation. Makes sense. I think it is recognizable that this farm is deeper than most think. But the end of our list are really young but have the potential to grow further up in the prospect rankings.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 09:07 PM)
Yay! An end to Miguel Gonzalez, Jared Mitchell and Keenyn Walker.

That's progress.

Well, for the record, Jared Mitchell did get one 30th place vote (not from me), so he didn't quite disappear entirely. Close though. Gonzalez is gone now and Walker is... Walker.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 07:49 AM)
Well, for the record, Jared Mitchell did get one 30th place vote (not from me), so he didn't quite disappear entirely. Close though. Gonzalez is gone now and Walker is... Walker.

I gave Mitchell the 30th place vote.

Simply because I feel like he has a distinct chance to get called up this year, especially after his improvement following his demotion to AA and subsequent re-promotion to AAA.

I almost forgot Walker existed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 07:49 AM)

Interesting to mention Walker. He was posting yesterday about being over 200 pounds for the first time in his life. Wonder if they means they are trying to bulk him up, and what it means for his speed game.