James Shields

SJB23

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, there was an article a few days ago about Greinke and the possibility/probability that he excersises his opt out clause after this season. He can opt out of his contract after this year and cash in for some serious money. The Dodgers know this and could look to sign Shields as a replacement now anticipating losing Greinke later.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
FWIW, there was an article a few days ago about Greinke and the possibility/probability that he excersises his opt out clause after this season. He can opt out of his contract after this year and cash in for some serious money. The Dodgers know this and could look to sign Shields as a replacement now anticipating losing Greinke later.

I think they will agree to re-negotiate Grenike's deal for more money.

I could see the cubs giving him a shorter deal but for a lot of money. Everything that has been reported lately is they didn't want to lock up another high priced guy in order to go after Price next year. I am not a big Shields fan, but I still hope Cubs don't get him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
Why would the Cubs need to sign Shields when they can just package some of their superfluous prospects for Tanner Roark, Gio, etc.?

Why would you trade great prospects when you can just sign him

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)

I think he's suggesting it wouldn't take "great" prospects.

I imagine it would, though, as I think Washington values its depth and that if one WOULD come relatively cheap, someone would have already made it happen.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 11:21 PM)
Lester, Shields, Arrieta would make a pretty formidable 1-3 in the cub rotation. Do the cubs have the money for Shields?

There is WAY too much Cubs love on this site. Book this...they will NOT win 75 games this season. Too many question marks.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)

In the Cubs' financial position, like the Sox, waiting for 2019 for the broadcasting rights windfall....they simply can't afford to pay for Shields and Price simultaneously, along with Lester.

Between Russell, Baez and Castro, they can definitely afford to let one of those guys go.

Then they have a second group like McKinney, Alcantara, Almora, Edwards, etc.

As things stand now, one would argue that Schwarber's being overvalued and that another half-season from him could give them the ability to acquire pretty much any starter on the market.

That would be probably be their best move. To wait on Bryant, see how Soler/Russell/Baez/Castro do and go from there depending on their positioning. There's obviously a risk that/if Baez, Russell, and Schwarber all struggle. And that's assuming Soler and Bryant continue to be as good as expected.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Stev-o @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
There is WAY too much Cubs love on this site. Book this...they will NOT win 75 games this season. Too many question marks.

I'll take that bet. They won 73 last year and will add Jon Lester, Jason Hammel, Miguel Montero, Dexter Fowler, and Kris Bryant (nevermind full seasons from Javier Baez and Jorge Soler too). I have them pegged as about a .500 team, but could definitely see them in the same 85 range as I currently have the Sox.

QUOTE (Stev-o @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)

I treat the Cubs like any other team: if they have prospects/players I like, why can't I like them? Because they're with the Cubs? To me, liking certain players on the cubs is like saying I like certain players on say the Rays or some random team. I don't hate everything they do just because they're the cubs. They only factor into 6 games of our season (actually more if you factor in playing other AL central reams this year). I want them to lose 6 games to us and win every other game against the AL central. Cubs win 60 games? Great. Who cares. Cubs wins 90 games? Again. Great. Who cares.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
I treat the Cubs like any other team: if they have prospects/players I like, why can't I like them? Because they're with the Cubs? To me, liking certain players on the cubs is like saying I like certain players on say the Rays or some random team. I don't hate everything they do just because they're the cubs. They only factor into 6 games of our season (actually more if you factor in playing other AL central reams this year). I want them to lose 6 games to us and win every other game against the AL central. Cubs win 60 games? Great. Who cares. Cubs wins 90 games? Again. Great. Who cares.

I agree with the beginning of this post, but I still hate the Cubs. Just because I hate them doesn't prevent me from looking at them rationally.

If the Cubs never won 80 games again, I'd be happier.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 11:17 PM)
I could see the cubs giving him a shorter deal but for a lot of money. Everything that has been reported lately is they didn't want to lock up another high priced guy in order to go after Price next year. I am not a big Shields fan, but I still hope Cubs don't get him.

I think Shields will be a good get for whoever gets him at this point. I think next year's free agent pitchers (Price, Zimmerman, Samardjiza) will command major coin and Shields may look like a bargain. Also take into account that none of the real heavy players (Red Sox, Yanks, Dodgers, Angels) landed any big arms this offseason. I don't see that being the case next offseason. I expect all those teams to be heavily involved in those guys I mentioned. Like I said when the Sox got Samardjiza, I think it's a one year deal. If he has a good year (and we all hope he should for this year's team), I see one of those teams paying him a huge sum of cash that the Sox won't be able to match.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
I think Shields will be a good get for whoever gets him at this point. I think next year's free agent pitchers (Price, Zimmerman, Samardjiza) will command major coin and Shields may look like a bargain. Also take into account that none of the real heavy players (Red Sox, Yanks, Dodgers, Angels) landed any big arms this offseason. I don't see that being the case next offseason. I expect all those teams to be heavily involved in those guys I mentioned. Like I said when the Sox got Samardjiza, I think it's a one year deal. If he has a good year (and we all hope he should for this year's team), I see one of those teams paying him a huge sum of cash that the Sox won't be able to match.

Between Cueto, Porcello, Greinke (most likely), Zimmermann, Fister, Price, Latos and Samardzija I feel there are too many arms available and not enough teams willing to throw huge bucks around now. i feel like Samardzija (knowing who else is out there next winter) may be wise to take a good extension from us now.