Should MLB Expand Rosters

LDF

i have been thinking in the last several months about this. with the ability of the advance stats, do you think MLB should look into expanding each MLB team players from 25-30 players???

i think the union would love anything to bring in more players up, but do you think it is a good idea.

Idea makes sense, but it would take a lot of negotiating. Owners are not going to want to add 5 spots that will likely be at some sort of veteran minimum, because you're not going to want to just fill it with rookies, you want those players to be in MiLB getting daily reps.

Also, would it be whatever they wanted or limited to field players or BP or some sort of slots? Games would take longer, something they're trying to get away from, if you can use it for added BP since there'd be more changes.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
30 is way too much. I say 26 at most. But honestly would just rather see it stay. Game will become way too specialized if it gets any bigger.

Not only that but it inherently raises the payroll. The game would see even more players that don't belong in the MLB especially pitching.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
25 is enough. And I hope the September rules become tougher. With expanded rosters, fine bring guys up...but turn in a 25-man roster each day that includes your four previous starting pitchers.

flavum for new Commissioner! The September roster rules are my biggest pet peeve for some stupid reason.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
I'm not saying I care, but this would slow the games down, and it doesn't seem like they're gonna do stuff that slows the game down for a while.

This was my first thought as well. More players inevitably means more substitutions, which will degrade watchability further. They can look into tweaking the rules regarding call-ups and what have you if they think more flexibility is necessary.

I think they should do a 26 man roster, but do like hockey does, and only dress 25 players for a game.

The more players a manager can use in a game will just translate to more bullpen arms, which means more changing of the pitchers in a game which will slow the game down ever more. They've made it clear they are trying to speed the game up. I only see the roster expanding with a "dress" limit still being 25.

my first thought of expanding to more than 25 is b/c the advance stats has a place and pitching can use the 5-6 man rotation.

mlb was a 3 man rotation and in the early 1900-1910, they went to the 4 man rotation, thereby expanding the roster. now this was unheard and etc.... pretty much was the same points made today.

1925 - det used the first 5 man rotation and mlb was uproar, but it went back to 4 man rotation.

1969 world series, the mets used the 5 man rotation in modern baseball during the series.

1973 Wilbur wood knees and sox owners, with the AL division, certified the 5 man rotation and expanded the roster.

there are times from the 50's thru that sometimes a 6 man rotation wrere used.

so all this, baseball, thru history have change, to some a positive and to others to their disdain. but it can stand to go with a 6 man rotation and have the roster expand.

with hitting, the team can carry more specialize players. specialize players are part of the game, there are Closers, Relief pitchers, Rh and Lh. spot starters. so in essence, the mlb is now using specialize players, the roster can stand to have more of those players.

all of which improves the game.

Most #5 starters really suck as it is. The last thing I want to see trotting out to the mound are #6 starters.

Now, if you want to contract two teams and then add a roster spot for the remaining 28 teams, fine. That still leaves a net -22 s***ty baseball players in the league.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 09:04 PM)
Most #5 starters really suck as it is. The last thing I want to see trotting out to the mound are #6 starters.

Now, if you want to contract two teams and then add a roster spot for the remaining 28 teams, fine. That still leaves a net -22 s***ty baseball players in the league.

you are missing the point, the point is with the advance stats, a discussion can be made of more specialize players, one of which can be a #6 sp.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 08:13 PM)
Advanced stats, length of the game, the biggest reason why this idea will never happen is money. Besides, why do they want to make it even harder to hit? It will be like the NHL back when it was first to 2 wins.

this is of course a discussion of something that may not happen, but i still think that it needs to be thought off. so in your summary, the only reason will be the cost of such a decision. of course you are 100% correct.

but i think adding a player will help out with the new technology coming in and the owners may embrace it. situational hitting and pitching will prove to be more helpful than not.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 12:16 AM)
25 is enough 24th and 25th guy really not MLB quality most of the time.

as you said, most of the time, but there are being used as backup. i am talking about the ability of the team to expand, to ably use the expansion for to further use the concept of advance metrics.

but there are other benefits as when the roster is use and rest is needed to for some players esp in late July and aug.

i am sure there were discussions everytime mlb has thought of improving the game. the purist will always say no, i am saying that this might be thought of more in the future.

but mlb are not going to listen to fans on a sport forum site.

thanks

Interesting thought but I remember the days of Herb Washington. Herb may be a great guy but in two years and 105 games he never had a plate appearance. I am in favor of baseball players having baseball skills not further specialization. I believe in platooning and match ups but there should be a trade off involved i.e. less flexibility later in the game. It is part of the beauty of the game and I am hoping that the versatile player like a Zobrist or even a Bonifacio is appreciated over players who are strictly one dimensional. There should be a price to pay for lineups with a slow, high strikeout, poor defense power only hitters. There is value beyond just stats for the rubber armed reliever who can pitch multiple days or give you several innings or spot start. He protects the rest of the pitching staff. We have historic rates for lack of contact and the ability to do the little things especially on defense.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
Interesting thought but I remember the days of Herb Washington. Herb may be a great guy but in two years and 105 games he never had a plate appearance. I am in favor of baseball players having baseball skills not further specialization. I believe in platooning and match ups but there should be a trade off involved i.e. less flexibility later in the game. It is part of the beauty of the game and I am hoping that the versatile player like a Zobrist or even a Bonifacio is appreciated over players who are strictly one dimensional. There should be a price to pay for lineups with a slow, high strikeout, poor defense power only hitters. There is value beyond just stats for the rubber armed reliever who can pitch multiple days or give you several innings or spot start. He protects the rest of the pitching staff. We have historic rates for lack of contact and the ability to do the little things especially on defense.

I love every time Herb Washington is brought up.

you are missing the point, the point is with the advance stats, a discussion can be made of more specialize players, one of which can be a #6 sp.

Advanced stats don't magically make a #6 starter better. If anything, advanced stats are telling us that the 24th and 25th guys on the roster are a lot worse than we thought they were.