Snowmageddon 2015

Brian

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
so it's been 40 degrees two days straight and has been 8 days since the snow. DIBS IS OVER. ITS OVER, YOU DONT JUST GET TO CLAIM A SPOT ON A PUBLIC STREET FOREVER.

It's behavior like this that makes me completely immune to the sob stories over digging out for 30 minutes only to lose your spot over a trip to the drug store. Maybe you should have walked there.

you'll like this song i made

https://vimeo.com/83989287

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steady snow from 5am-7pm yesterday produced 8 inches of snow, with winds under 10mph, so no blowing/drifting. Everything shut down yesterday, even the mall, in advance of the "winter storm" and pretty much every government entity in the area (including my office) except for Louisville city government is closed again today. I just got back from being out running errands for two hours and the roads seemed fine to me. I just don't get people down here.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
And faucets dripping.

I lived in Memphis for a few years, and this was a big thing there. Their building codes aren't what they are in Chicago, so there were many situations where pipes were run in outside walls, sometimes with no insulation. On nights when it was going to go below about 25 degrees, the news covereage went into hyperdrive and told everyone to open all the cabinets and run all their faucets all night. It was so cute.

And the one time in 3 winters down there they got a measurable snow that stuck (2-3", stayed for a day), the entire city shut down. I mean, other than FedEx's operations at the airport (FedEx literally owned the only snow plows in town, and they NEVER shut down for ANYTHING), NOTHING was open. And of course the night before, there was the bum rush on bread and milk at the grocery stores.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 07:47 AM)
I lived in Memphis for a few years, and this was a big thing there. Their building codes aren't what they are in Chicago, so there were many situations where pipes were run in outside walls, sometimes with no insulation. On nights when it was going to go below about 25 degrees, the news covereage went into hyperdrive and told everyone to open all the cabinets and run all their faucets all night. It was so cute.

And the one time in 3 winters down there they got a measurable snow that stuck (2-3", stayed for a day), the entire city shut down. I mean, other than FedEx's operations at the airport (FedEx literally owned the only snow plows in town, and they NEVER shut down for ANYTHING), NOTHING was open. And of course the night before, there was the bum rush on bread and milk at the grocery stores.

Carbondale was very similar. If they got snow, it was a nightmare. My freshman year(fall 96) there was a pretty big snowfalland they spread wood coal on the streets, I had never seen that before. It was extremely messy

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 07:47 AM)
And of course the night before, there was the bum rush on bread and milk at the grocery stores.

Can anyone explain the rush for bread and milk when bad weather hits? If you’re going to be stuck inside for a couple of days with no power you would think there would be a rush on things like bottled water and canned goods like tuna, vegetables or soup; peanut butter and crackers; nuts, trail mixes or granola bars.

Not two perishable items, one of which requires refrigeration and they don’t even go together. Milk sandwiches anyone? :huh

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
Can anyone explain the rush for bread and milk when bad weather hits? If you’re going to be stuck inside for a couple of days with no power you would think there would be a rush on things like bottled water and canned goods like tuna, vegetables or soup; peanut butter and crackers; nuts, trail mixes or granola bars.

Not two perishable items, one of which requires refrigeration and they don’t even go together. Milk sandwiches anyone? :huh

Kids. And if you're losing power because of bad cold weather, you can always throw that stuff outside to stay cold.

But I agree. 90% of that stuff, especially in major metro areas, is overkill. You're stuck without power for a few days at most. Now, if you're out in the country by yourself for miles? Yeah, then it makes some sense to stock up. But anywhere close to a city? Nah.