Super Bowl Halftime and Commercials

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The halftime sucked IMO.. What was Perry wearing on the way out? A bag of flamming hot cheetos? Then the whole beach balls, sharks, and trees with eyes and mouths was weird as well. Then you got Missy Elliott who hasn't been relevant in 10 years while the "and" act had about 15 seconds of time. Sexy outfits could have saved it a little bit but I thought it was horrible.

I was confused with all the dark commercials they had this year. The Budweiser puppy one was good and I laughed at the Heisenberg commercial as well. I will have to watch some of them again to remember the other ones I liked

I too thought Katy Perry did a good job. It certainly sounded like she was actually singing and not lip-synching. I'll giver her credit for that.

The commercials weren't very good, but they haven't been for a few years now. The Snickers ad with Danny Trejo and Steve Buscemi was funny, but Liam (Li-am) Neeson was the best.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 08:37 PM)
Really? I thought it was awful, but then again I just hate that car.

Yeah, but then again I just happened to be watching live when they did that segment on the Today show about the internet...always funny remembering how clueless we all were when it first started getting traction.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 06:13 AM)
I too thought Katy Perry did a good job. It certainly sounded like she was actually singing and not lip-synching. I'll giver her credit for that.

The commercials weren't very good, but they haven't been for a few years now. The Snickers ad with Danny Trejo and Steve Buscemi was funny, but Liam (Li-am) Neeson was the best.

She wasn't singing. I don't even think Kravitz had his guitar plugged in.

I thought it was all terrible, but I'm not into pop music or theater so it's not really my thing anyway.

This was by far the worst group of super bowl commercials I can remember. Even besides the dead kid, so many of the commercials were just sad and depressing. Most of the ones that were supposed to be funny, weren't. The two that stand out the next day are the snickers commerical with Steve Bushcemi and the Liam Nieson one. Everything else was blah.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
This was by far the worst group of super bowl commercials I can remember. Even besides the dead kid, so many of the commercials were just sad and depressing. Most of the ones that were supposed to be funny, weren't. The two that stand out the next day are the snickers commerical with Steve Bushcemi and the Liam Nieson one. Everything else was blah.

Polar bear wanting to get drafted by Mexico had me cracking up.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
Yeah, but then again I just happened to be watching live when they did that segment on the Today show about the internet...always funny remembering how clueless we all were when it first started getting traction.

"Can someone explain to us what the internet is?"

That was good. I agree with SS2k5, worst set of commercials i've ever seen. Liam Neeson was ok, Cranston was ok. The truck commercial was the best since it trolled everyone into believing their cable was going out. Everything else, D-.

Halftime show was a halftime show. Perry did ok. It always cracks me up how the NFL always relies on music from 10-20 years ago. Missy Elliot? Lenny Kravitz? Snooze. I thought Bruno Mars last year was 100 times better. I vote ac/dc next year.

With so many commercials trying to capitalize by creating an emotional resonance with the company now, it was bound to hit a tipping point. It was almost a relief when the super glue commercial was actually putting their product front and center.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
It seemed like their was a whole theme to all the commercials regarding "family". I am going to presume NFL sent a message to advertisers they didn't want people pushing the envelope?

Given recent NFL events, I could understand an avoidance of Terry Tate-style "violence as comedy" gags, but there have been countless funny Super Bowl commercials in the past that didn't rely on that type of humor. This year's crop was just godawful.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
I think my favorite car commercial was the one with the race car driver. I think we can all really relate to what it's like to be a professional race car driver.

Nissan. That was almost worse than the "buy my insurance or your kid will die!" commercial. So long and unnecessary. The moral of the story was abandon your son and family and once he's in high school, buy a Nissan and it'll all be ok. Wha?

I heard somewhere (deadspin maybe?) before the super bowl that either the NFL or NBC were pushing for less violent, less "frat house" GoDaddy-style commercials this year. They're trying to get more women to watch, so I think that's where all of the ridiculously sappy and overly emotional ads were coming from. At least for my wife, though, she was more annoyed at those attempts than swayed.