When was the last time you bought a pack of baseball cards?

Texsox

I bought cards like crazy from 6th grade till maybe my freshman year in high school. But even then I still bought them now and then. When I was about 14 my older brother gave me all his older cards (from the early to mid 50's). When I was in my early 20's I gave ALL my cards to some little kid. If he hung on to them, he had a small fortune.

One of my sons got into collecting baseball and basketball cards. I would buy him a sh*tload of cards every Christmas and we'd have a lot of fun opening up all the packs. It kind of rekindled my interest in card collecting and my son and I concentrated on collecting White Sox cards, of which we have quite a collection.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

I bought a pack while on vacation this summer when I saw Abreu on the cover of the pack. I tried to explain to my girlfriend the excitement that goes into opening a pack of baseball cards. Sifting through each one, wondering who will be next...

Growing up in Carol Stream, me and a buddy used to go to a local comic book/card store on the corner of Army Trail and County Farm rd (by the Jewel) and buy a pack once a week. They had a box of unopened packs of 1982 topps cards that were around $3.00 a pack and we would get those and try and get all of the rookies like Sandberg and Gwynn because we knew they were bigtime cards according to the Beckett.

I'll buy a blaster (a box of 8 packs) of regular Topps and Topps Heritage once a year. It's not as fun as it used to be when I'd get three packs of wax with gum in it for 63 cents, but some traditions are hard to break.

I stopped collecting complete sets, but still get a White Sox team set each year.

Edited by flavum

Don't even remember. I have sets and sets and sets taking up space under the stairs in my townhouse. Would love to sell them but they aren't worth much these days.

Getting them and organizing them was something my dad and I bonded over as a kid.

I was seriously into collecting from about '89 to '91. I still have a bunch of Griffey Jr. rookie cards. I stopped collecting around '92 for several reasons. One, there were just too many being produced, and they weren't worth much anymore. Secondly, and more impactful, was that I had joined the Coast Guard. But even once I got through bootcamp and went to my first duty station I didn't really collect anymore. It's a shame that the overproduction of the cards, and the number of companies making cards, ruined it.

Maybe junior high, so over 20 years ago?

For the packs I bought the most of, I used to try to collect the entire set for that year. I would always be missing a couple cards. In the back of the Beckett magazines, there used to be ads for people selling single cards. Of course this being the early 90s, for the most part I would have to contact them via snail mail, and then mail them like a $2 check for 5 single cards of bench warming players. The good old days.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 06:36 AM)
Growing up in Carol Stream, me and a buddy used to go to a local comic book/card store on the corner of Army Trail and County Farm rd (by the Jewel) and buy a pack once a week. They had a box of unopened packs of 1982 topps cards that were around $3.00 a pack and we would get those and try and get all of the rookies like Sandberg and Gwynn because we knew they were bigtime cards according to the Beckett.

I hope they were 1983 Topps, because you'd only find Cal Ripken, Lee Smith, and Dave Stewart rookies in 1982.

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 07:25 AM)
For my 8th birthday, I got a box of '94 cards. How many packs came in one of those huge boxes? Like 50?

What a glorious present.

Those boxes were amazing. To a junior high kid they were impossible to get, unless you saved up after a summer job or you got one as a gift.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 07:16 AM)
I hope they were 1983 Topps, because you'd only find Cal Ripken, Lee Smith, and Dave Stewart rookies in 1982.

Yea 1983, I couldnt remember which box it was because I didnt know if either of them had recieved rookie status in 82 or 83. Either way, Gwynn and Sandberg were the ones we were looking for

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 08:05 AM)
Did anyone else play something like this? I vaguely remember playing it as a kid, though I think I was too young to fully comprehend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Card-Baseball-Exciti.../dp/B0052EROZ8#

My son got Strat-O-Matic Baseball for Christmas. It's similar to this one. What's nice about it is that you can make it as basic or as advanced as you want. We've played quite a few games with it, and it turns out to be pretty realistic. The more advanced you play (lefties vs. righties, slealing, etc.), the more realistic it is.

I used to collect cards religiously as a kid. I would estimate I have around 20-30,000+ cards stored in various places. Most of which are from the 90's so they aren't worth the paper their printed on for the most part. Around 2006-2007 I kind of got back into collecting and started buying the various Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome varieties, especially the Bowman Chrome Draft Picks and Prospects set. Some of those rookie cards are worth a few bucks if you have the refractors/x-fractor/blue-refractor/gold-refractor variations. Now I buy a couple retail boxes a year. Usually when I'm at Wal-Mart or Target with my brother and we see them and decide to split a $20-$30 box just for s***s and giggles.

The last time for me was probably in high school. My buddies and I went on a little kick at that point where we'd actually go to card shows as well. Pulled a Pujols something or other card at one of the shows and sold it on the spot for $150. Good times.

Edited by Rowand44

I collected from the late 80s to 2000 very heavily. Since then it's a pack here and there per year. Mostly focus on the Topps Gypsy Queen and Bowman Baseball, nothing else. I'll go on Ebay nowadays and spend a few bucks on what exactly I'm looking for, but that's about it. I haven't bought a pack since last fall.