When was the last time you bought a pack of baseball cards?

Texsox

About 3 years ago, I was talking to an attorney (an avid Sox fan about 70 years old) about My Sox collection. He told me something that blew me away. He said that he stopped in 1995, but from 1952 (when Topps first started) to 1994 he has COMPLETE SEALED UNOPENED SETS of all of the Topps baseball cards. Can you even imagine the value of those? Mindblowing.

Probably 2005 when I volunteered at the All-Star game fanfest. They were giving away limited edition cards if you purchased a certain number of packs.

I still have an insane number of cards around the house. I collected a ton from about 92/93 to 2001/02, mostly baseball and basketball. I really enjoyed it, but there was just too much stuff out by the time I quit, and it was becoming cost-prohibitive to get the stuff I wanted. Unfortunately, I ended up selling/trading a lot of my cooler stuff whenever I'd go to a convention in my quest for whatever was hot and new.

Best card I ever pulled out of a pack was a Scottie Pippen autographics. That set had so many weird and random people, it was awesome to get a star player. I could have sold it for a few hundred dollars, but I traded it for some other stuff that's long gone now.

At this point, the only thing I ever buy is short-printed (under 100) cards of Northwestern players.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I collected heavily until around high school graduation (1991). Sold all my cards but three before I went off to college, so I'd have some spending money. I think I got like $1800 for everything, which seemed like a huge windfall at the time.

I kept:

--A 1956 Mickey Mantle Topps card that I found on the ground in an alley

--Carlton Fisk rookie card (was actually a three-rookie card, also had Cecil Cooper I think), which Fisk later signed

--Billy Ripken F*** FACE error card

Still have those three, in a box in my closet.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
Wait... are there still baseball card packs that have gum? I assume not, just curious. I remember exactly how that awful, stale thing looked, smelled and tasted from a pack of Topps.

we all still chewed that stuff anyways lol

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
I collected heavily until around high school graduation (1991). Sold all my cards but three before I went off to college, so I'd have some spending money. I think I got like $1800 for everything, which seemed like a huge windfall at the time.

I kept:

--A 1956 Mickey Mantle Topps card that I found on the ground in an alley

--Carlton Fisk rookie card (was actually a three-rookie card, also had Cecil Cooper I think), which Fisk later signed

--Billy Ripken F*** FACE error card

Still have those three, in a box in my closet.

Good move, I bet those cards you sold aren't even worth $180 today. Sometimes I glance eBay to see what some of my best cards are worth, and it's very, very sad.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
In 1961 I was in 6th Grade. A pack of Topps baseball card cost 5 cents. I knew a kid who bought packs for the gum and gave all the cards to other kids.

LOL why in the world just for the gum? Geez I remember how hard and stale that stuff was. Was also like someone took a cheese slicer and shaved off a few pieces of the sidewalk to put in card packs. May as well just chew on the cards. probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.