Farewell to Dayan Viciedo

Boopa1219

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
I am pretty stunned they couldn't find someone to give them garbage for him.

I was beating the non-tender drum pretty hard, and even I thought they'd probably get something for him.

We'll always have this.

1jsqdRh.gif

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
I am pretty stunned they couldn't find someone to give them garbage for him.

I think the defensive limitations just made his downside too low. As many have argued on this board, his skillset makes him an exceedingly poor fit as a fourth or fifth outfielder, essentially meaning that he needed to break out to be of any use at all. I imagine several teams would have taken a flyer on his bat if they felt they could at least use him on the bench in any instance. Even though $4.4m isn't a ton these days, it'll still buy you a pretty high-end bench player, so to commit it on a guy who likely won't even be that useful doesn't seem like a prudent use of resources, especially given the nearly every team is "going for it" to a certain degree this year.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
I think the defensive limitations just made his downside too low. As many have argued on this board, his skillset makes him an exceedingly poor fit as a fourth or fifth outfielder, essentially meaning that he needed to break out to be of any use at all. I imagine several teams would have taken a flyer on his bat if they felt they could at least use him on the bench in any instance. Even though $4.4m isn't a ton these days, it'll still buy you a pretty high-end bench player, so to commit it on a guy who likely won't even be that useful doesn't seem like a prudent use of resources, especially given the nearly every team is "going for it" to a certain degree this year.

Yes, but they could see where he's at in spring training for a few weeks for next to nothing. Someone will sign him, and probably wind up saving a couple million. There obviously isn't a team out there that thinks highly of his ability, because they don't seem to care about losing him over $1-2 million.

Edited by Dick Allen

Bummer that it didn't work out.

Don't know if this was the intention all through the offseason, or if they gave him an ultimatum to drop weight and received a "still-fat-as-ever" report a few weeks ago.

Thinking we could have used him, especially if he could be taught to play 1B, as LaRoche is 35 and Abreu has ankles. No bench pop at this point. No biggie, overall, though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
Yes, but they could see where he's at in spring training for a few weeks for next to nothing. Someone will sign him, and probably wind up saving a couple million. There obviously isn't a team out there that thinks highly of his ability, because they don't seem to care about losing him over $1-2 million.

I wouldn't be shocked if he signs one of those "minor league deal with invite" contracts where he makes like $2m if he make the ML roster.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)

Said team would have to pay him way more than he is worth. That is why we couldn't trade him. No one on the FA market would give him the contract he signed with the Sox. As a result, why would you trade for him (unless you really really like him, in which case, you probably shouldn't have a tough time overbidding to get him on your roster). He'll probably sign a deal much more similar to Gordon's.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
How does Hahn explain to JR the $4MM++ price tag he put on Viciedo? It's like paying $6MM to Gordo.

Again, how was he supposed to assume he would sign Melky Cabrera, especially when that was the last of the big deals made, and when JR finally gave them clearance for it? It's easy to call it a stupid move in hindsight, but they had to cover their asses.

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 2h2 hours ago

Dayan Viciedo was a $733,000 insurance policy. #WhiteSox chose to tender him on 12/2 bc they didn't have M. Cabrera or E. Bonifacio.

Adam Eaton ‏@AdamSpankyEaton Jan 28

Hate to see Tankie go. Great on and off the field. Wherever he ends up he'll be just fine.. #SwingHard #JustIncase

Would LOVE to see him brought back on minor league deal. He knows the SOX, the SOX know him...and ultimately we're a Cabrera or Garcia injury away from really wishing we had him. He made no sense on the bench, so I get the move.

Yeesh...I really didnt think he was THAT bad for it to come to this. A couple months ago many thought the Sox were going to get something from the M's for him.

I am calling it. He will become a valuable and dangerous bat off the bench for a playoff team this year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
Yeesh...I really didnt think he was THAT bad for it to come to this. A couple months ago many thought the Sox were going to get something from the M's for him.

I am calling it. He will become a valuable and dangerous bat off the bench for a playoff team this year.

He should go to a bad team where he can get a ton of at bats. The upside is still there with Tank and the talent clearly exists. Whether he makes those adjustments, I don't know, but he's not a bad insurance policy. His defense is so negative though.

Both Philadelphia and Atlanta make a ton of sense as a landing spot. There are enough bad teams out there with bad outfields that he should be able to secure a spot where he will get a lot of playing time. I honestly think signing with a playoff team would be in his worst interests.

Dont get me wrong. I agree he should sign with a team that has a bad outfield and can use him but I predict that ultimately he will get picked up by a contending team down the stretch run as some pop off the bench. I can see some teams that need power (and there will be teams that are contending that will need it) seeing tank bring that value in a power stricken league.