Next Wave - Prospects who just missed the T30

NorthSideSox72

There were a number of prospects who just missed our Top 30 list, that received votes or serious consideration from our writers. Yet others were discussed on SoxTalk as players to watch.

For the third year in a row, we're publishing a pair of "Next Wave" articles, listing a handful of those marginal types. The position player article is now up, with 10 players.

A number of players from these Next Wave articles the past couple years went from obscure to on-the-radar within a year of appearing, and some have made the majors. So in all likelihood, a few of the names in each article will probably get a lot more attention in the coming year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
Anyone people expected to see here and didn't? Anyone on there you didn't know about until now?

I almost included Danny Hayes.

No one really surprised me here. A couple names I am interested in though not on the list is C Zach Fisher, C Austin Davis, and SS Ryan Leonards. Do you know by chance what the organization thinks of these kids?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
No one really surprised me here. A couple names I am interested in though not on the list is C Zach Fisher, C Austin Davis, and SS Ryan Leonards. Do you know by chance what the organization thinks of these kids?

I assume you mean Brett Austin, and dammit I should have included him. Never heard of Austin Davis.

Fisher's odd. He's played all over, not just C. He was in GF for a year and hit poorly... returned (usually not a good sign to repeat GF as a college guy) and hit well, promoted to Kanny during season... then went to GF for a third year, and some more time with Kanny. Looks like in 2014 he was basically the victim of Williams nepotism. But the fact that he's been treated that way tells me the org doesn't see anything there.

Leonards I know very little about, to be honest.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
I assume you mean Brett Austin, and dammit I should have included him. Never heard of Austin Davis.

Fisher's odd. He's played all over, not just C. He was in GF for a year and hit poorly... returned (usually not a good sign to repeat GF as a college guy) and hit well, promoted to Kanny during season... then went to GF for a third year, and some more time with Kanny. Looks like in 2014 he was basically the victim of Williams nepotism. But the fact that he's been treated that way tells me the org doesn't see anything there.

Leonards I know very little about, to be honest.

Wow, yes I did mean Brett Austin. Austin Davis was a player by me who got drafted out of Illinois but never made it far. Sorry for that confusion.

But yes, I think Brett Austin is an interesting name to keep an eye on. He started out really slow in Kanny, but did start coming around toward the end of the season.

Also another name I just thought of, Zach Fish, OF from Oklahoma State. He struggled too in GF but was a decent pick and was pretty popular around here when the selection was made.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
Wow, yes I did mean Brett Austin. Austin Davis was a player by me who got drafted out of Illinois but never made it far. Sorry for that confusion.

But yes, I think Brett Austin is an interesting name to keep an eye on. He started out really slow in Kanny, but did start coming around toward the end of the season.

Also another name I just thought of, Zach Fish, OF from Oklahoma State. He struggled too in GF but was a decent pick and was pretty popular around here when the selection was made.

Fish was one I eliminated at the last minute. I had other guys I almost put in there too, like Danny Hayes, Christian Stringer and Maiker Feliz. But I didn't want a giant list.

I just added Austin to the article though, he really belongs in there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
Fish was one I eliminated at the last minute. I had other guys I almost put in there too, like Danny Hayes, Christian Stringer and Maiker Feliz. But I didn't want a giant list.

I just added Austin to the article though, he really belongs in there.

Very cool and thank you. Good job as always!