2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised about Golson. Could see him ending up at FSU to be honest. I don't think he ends up in the SEC. They have a clause that does not allow transfers if they have previously been punished at previous schools. Waivers can be granted, but it's not a guarantee.

A former Illini fb player Simon cvijanovic is going on a crazy anti-beckman rant on Twitter. Other players and former teammates are refuting his statement saying he quit on the team, not that beckman/staff tried to make him play through an injury and forced him to quit.

It ain't easy being an Illini fan.

There definitely seems to be something to this story but probably not at the level Simon is putting it at. Either way, a terrible distraction/image for the program as we finally we're building a bit of respect and upward momentum. Hopefully this is just a disgruntled football player venting and that's it, because anything more and the program could be decimated.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 10, 2015 -> 10:35 PM)
There definitely seems to be something to this story but probably not at the level Simon is putting it at. Either way, a terrible distraction/image for the program as we finally we're building a bit of respect and upward momentum. Hopefully this is just a disgruntled football player venting and that's it, because anything more and the program could be decimated.

What seems untrue about his statements? I think this is how every large football program is run, he's just one of the first to tweet about it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 11, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)
What seems untrue about his statements? I think this is how every large football program is run, he's just one of the first to tweet about it.

Neither players nor journalists can corroborate his claims

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 11, 2015 -> 08:43 AM)
Neither players nor journalists can corroborate his claims

He mentioned plenty of ex-players in his tweets and said many are telling him to keep going, I dont think anything he said is highly unusual. Once again its not isolated to Illinois, this is the typical treatment of players across the board.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 11, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
He mentioned plenty of ex-players in his tweets and said many are telling him to keep going, I dont think anything he said is highly unusual. Once again its not isolated to Illinois, this is the typical treatment of players across the board.

I believe only former Illini players (those who left because of playing time, issues with the staff, etc) are rallying behind him. Everyone else has been against him, so it looks like a "I didn't get my way and didn't get drafted so now I'm pissed" story.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 11, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
I believe only former Illini players (those who left because of playing time, issues with the staff, etc) are rallying behind him. Everyone else has been against him, so it looks like a "I didn't get my way and didn't get drafted so now I'm pissed" story.

The ones who are still in the program still have something to lose.

Saw this comment on another board and had to laugh:

Not sure how to word this without it getting skewed by someone, but I think to some extent Beckman lacks the mental capacity to systematically and methodically break a kid's psyche. Takes a chronically manipulative individual to do that, and that just doesn't seem like "OMG FOOTBALL" Beckman.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 11, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)

or 'I dont want to lose my scholly or get put into team purgatory" for the current players.

I understand the desire to make it look like this kid is crazy or something, but this was the guy who was at one time selected to represent the team at Big Ten media days, thats a huge deal and honor. He's just publicly saying what is happening to players all over college football. I commend him for speaking out.

Edited by RockRaines

I'll throw my own team under the bus to make it more even. Ohio State does similar things however instead of trying to make an injured kid play, they simply evaluate his injury and certify him as unable to play and bank his scholly for another class. He could probably play and play well, but they would rather let him go to school and give his scholly to an incoming freshman. Not sure which one is more wrong, but its all pretty indicative of the "cattle" mentality this guy talked about.

Another ex-Illinois player now speaks out. I wonder if this will end with Beckman's job (it shouldnt).

Another guy who never fit in after Zook left, I'm just not sure how to read how only players who left the team have called out Beckman. Is it personal? Are the current players just afraid to speak out loud? But then again other graduated players haven't really stepped up and said the same thing.

Are these guys just soft? Beckman isn't really known as a wildly tough coach, every football coach will get in your face at some point but from accounts he isn't the hardest out there by far. So does it really come down to that a lot of players don't respect Beckman, especially those who weren't recruited by him? I think that's more the issue, and this other stuff happened at some level and Simon wanted to use that to gain an edge on him.

Some of the things reported, like the purple injury jerseys, are stupid and seem like a typical Beckman move that needs to go.