2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
SEC! SEC! SEC!

Hey! I have PSU and OSU in there. I was going to consider Oregon and Florida St as well, but Oregon doesn't have any great home games on paper and Florida St's schedule is still coming along, aside from early September vs Ole Miss (but that's in Orlando) and late November against Florida

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
My friend had a bachelor party down to Auburn that I went on.

Reddit thread for which school to go to: Visit My Website

Thread on the experience: Visit My Website

Very helpful. Thanks.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
Only ones I've been to are ND, MSU, Purdue and NW. I don't know if you count UCLA/Rose Bowl as a college stadium, but that would be #1 on my list.

I would go to the Rose Bowl game. I wouldn't go to a UCLA home game at the Rose Bowl. Unless they're a top 10 team and they're hosting USC or Oregon, UCLA home games aren't exactly a great atmosphere.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
I want to go to a traditional college stadium next year. I was thinking LSU, Penn St, Ohio St, Alabama, Auburn, or Ole Miss. What are the best ones you all have been to? Which do you recommend?

Note: I've already done USC, Notre Dame, Clemson, Tennessee and Michigan.

Definitely go to the shoe. It's incredible. I can send you tips and such.

If you want to hear the loudest stadium ever, go to PSU for a night game/whiteout. You'll never hear anything as loud.

I'm also a huge fan of Wisconsin and Iowa in the big ten. Iowa knows how to party and so does Madison.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 06:02 PM)
Hey! I have PSU and OSU in there. I was going to consider Oregon and Florida St as well, but Oregon doesn't have any great home games on paper and Florida St's schedule is still coming along, aside from early September vs Ole Miss (but that's in Orlando) and late November against Florida

You missed my point. Go to a SEC game and tailgate, that's the only correct answer. Ole Miss would probably be #1 out of those from everything I have heard, I've never been.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
You missed my point. Go to a SEC game and tailgate, that's the only correct answer. Ole Miss would probably be #1 out of those from everything I have heard, I've never been.

I gotcha. I thought you were making fun of my options

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 06:35 AM)
Definitely go to the shoe. It's incredible. I can send you tips and such.

If you want to hear the loudest stadium ever, go to PSU for a night game/whiteout. You'll never hear anything as loud.

I'm also a huge fan of Wisconsin and Iowa in the big ten. Iowa knows how to party and so does Madison.

Great info. One year, I'll combine it with a Hawks/Jackets game if they play on a Friday or Sunday.

My issue with PSU now is that the times for these games aren't released until a week or 2 prior now. I'd hate to book everything only for the Lions to be horrendous and the game have a less than normal atmosphere.

I do want to hit Madison or Iowa. Both seem awesome

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
There's seriously only 1 answer there and it's Ole Miss.

Have you been? Regardless that's what I've heard. My brother's co-worker saw a game there and he had nothing but great things to say. September 17 against Alabama would be awesome.I'd like to fly Southwest; I have enough points where my flight would be comp'd. While they stopped flying to Jackson, Memphis is about an hour from Oxford

Edited by soxfan49

If youre going to go to a Florida school, it has to be to Gainesville. I havent been to Doak Campbell but I have not heard one person tell me it compares to Ben Hill as far as the game experience. Tailgating might be a toss up.

Plus odds are you'll be seeing a better game in Gainesville. Plus maybe you get lucky and the schedules align and you can make it a weekend. Gators on the Saturday and the Bears at Bucs on the following day. If youre a Bears fan that is(I'm assuming given the site).

But if I was going to a game without a rooting interest, LSU would be on the top of my list by a mile. Especially a night game. Ole Miss has a great rep and apparently the before/after game festivities are fun with a lot of talent to look at.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
If youre going to go to a Florida school, it has to be to Gainesville. I havent been to Doak Campbell but I have not heard one person tell me it compares to Ben Hill as far as the game experience. Tailgating might be a toss up.

Plus odds are you'll be seeing a better game in Gainesville. Plus maybe you get lucky and the schedules align and you can make it a weekend. Gators on the Saturday and the Bears at Bucs on the following day. If youre a Bears fan that is(I'm assuming given the site).

But if I was going to a game without a rooting interest, LSU would be on the top of my list by a mile. Especially a night game. Ole Miss has a great rep and apparently the before/after game festivities are fun with a lot of talent to look at.

I have family about an hour south of Gainesville. At times we do Bears games with a college game. I'd love for that to work out. My brother has seen 2 games at FSU. He loved the atmosphere but not so much the tailgaiting, as you mentioned.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 07:20 PM)
IU switches out defensive coordinators. Brian Knorr out, Tom Allen in. He ran USF's defense last year with 4-2-5 formation. We just switched to the 3-4 under Knorr the last two years, wonder if we'll switch to 4-2-5 now.

4-2-5 in a league with strong running backs is usually not a great idea.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 05:54 PM)
Have you been? Regardless that's what I've heard. My brother's co-worker saw a game there and he had nothing but great things to say. September 17 against Alabama would be awesome.I'd like to fly Southwest; I have enough points where my flight would be comp'd. While they stopped flying to Jackson, Memphis is about an hour from Oxford

I'd definitely suggest flying to Memphis. The drive to Oxford is really easy. And if you can use Southwest miles, even better.

Oxford is a great small town. You can do more than just the football game, if you want. Rowan Oak (William Faulkner's home) is pretty cool if you are into literature or anything like that. The Square in downtown Oxford has a bunch of great shops and places to eat. And of course, The Grove on gameday is amazing. If it's not this year, definitely make it to an Ole Miss game at some point. While their games have always a lot of fun, it's even better now that the team is pretty good. I've been to more games at Ole Miss than I can remember, but this recent stretch of years has taken the whole atmosphere on game days to another level. I went to the UT-Ole Miss game last year, and while we got spanked, it was still a hell of a weekend.

One new thing that has only happened in the last year or two: many bars in Oxford started charging covers to enter. One place I went last year (The Library) wanted $40 to enter, but usually it's in the $10-20 range (which is still a lot for a bar in Oxford, MS). Just be prepared for that if Ole Miss wins. Everyone wants to go out, and because it's such a small town, there aren't a ton of bars. Naturally, every place has a line and then those places charge covers because they know people will pay it.

Edited by dasox24

Illinois assigns extra $400k to assistant pool, majority goes to coach's son:

Ryan Cubit: $80,650 last year as quarterbacks coach, $400,000 this year as offensive coordinator (396% raise)

it’s a really tough sell to take an offense ranked in the 100’s – an offense that kept you out of a bowl this season – and a $400,000 blank check to hire a coordinator to fix it… and give that $400,000 to your son whose only OC experience is at Western Michigan. NC State needed to kick-start their offense, so they spent $450,000 a few weeks ago to hire away Boise State’s young hotshot coordinator (Eliah Drinkwitz). Illinois spent $400,000 to promote the head coach’s son.

What do you expect when you keep a lame duck coach with almost zero chance of returning? Good for him to take advantage.

My question is though, how does he get 100% reign on that decision? Shouldn't he have to report to someone higher in the athletic department?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
So Cubit's recruiting is going about as well as I expected it to so far. And by that I mean this class is freaking abysmal.

It's awful. Truly sad. HBO doing an expose on the football program tomorrow. Wonder if Cubit gets fired after that.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
It's awful. Truly sad. HBO doing an expose on the football program tomorrow. Wonder if Cubit gets fired after that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting...016/illinois-26

21 total commits. 7 3* and the rest are 2*. Not that star's mean anything but it shows you how poorly they really do recruit.