2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
Dr. Saturday ‏@YahooDrSaturday 4m4 minutes ago

Illinois: "Beckman will not receive the $3.1 million remaining on the last two years of his original five-year contract."

Wow. That means their report really found something bad.

Oh despite this I still wouldn't be so sure that anything really bad happened. I mean it may have, but knowing our how our board operates, he may have just used the f word at practice once too.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
Hate Mike Thomas but I doubt this was his call.

Maybe not, but they had him issue the statement. Maybe his next will be his resignation. It would be in the best interests of Illinois athletics. What is he going to miss when his next hire goes unvetted?

Edited by Dick Allen

Oh despite this I still wouldn't be so sure that anything really bad happened. I mean it may have, but knowing our how our board operates, he may have just used the f word at practice once too.

Possibly, but they are gonna have a lawsuit on their hands from Beckman if that's the case.

I could see this as being a reactionary move to make the school look tough on any perceived inappropriate/illegal behavior by a coach.

I'd also bet that whatever Beckman did, unless it's totally egregious ("Torn ACL? Pssh...GET ON THE FIELD!"), he's doing the same thing that every other coach in the country is doing. Pressuring guys to play hurt or delay treatment probably happens daily.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
Will Illinois stick with Cubit all season and start the search thereafter or hire someone like Greg Schiano?

They will stick with Cubit, he has a pretty good reputation with the players. was a former HC, and it's his offensive system. Bringing in a new guy/system at this point would mean a disaster of a season, like just cancel it now season.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:21 PM)
Early reports I see Thomas will survive, he is putting this on Beckman claiming he knew nothing about it.

Here's the problem with that. He is the AD. He hired Beckman. Beckman had issues at his previous job. The guy running the department needs to know what is going on. If his excuse is being naïve, that kind of goes against his job description. He needs to go.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
Possibly, but they are gonna have a lawsuit on their hands from Beckman if that's the case.

I mean our administration staff once turned down millions in free donations by ridiculing our richest alum Shahid Khan because his factory was once evacuated 20 years ago to prove...well I don't know what. And of course Beckman was inept himself, so literally nothing would surprise me at this point.

I'm sure Thomas' fate is tied to Cubit. If Cubit gets them to the post season he may be retained for another couple of years, along with Thomas. If it's a whole new search, how can Thomas still be the guy running the show? He's got one foot out the door himself.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
Will Illinois stick with Cubit all season and start the search thereafter or hire someone like Greg Schiano?

No one will coach this year except Cubit, but yeah they can search now. If Schiano is their guy then hire him asap and get him recruiting. Just make sure to interview a black candidate first or there will be hell to pay. Well there will be anyways if he isn't the hire.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
Here's the problem with that. He is the AD. He hired Beckman. Beckman had issues at his previous job. The guy running the department needs to know what is going on. If his excuse is being naïve, that kind of goes against his job description. He needs to go.

DA I want him gone just saying what is going on in Champaign right now.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
DA I want him gone just saying what is going on in Champaign right now.

Which is unfortunate if it works out that way. The AD has already admitted he can't stop this sort of thing from happening, they just have to hope the people they hire do right with their student athletes. And it's not just the football team. If I had a top recruit son or daughter and they were offered from Illinois, I would be hesitant, despite the outstanding academics, to get behind choosing them with this confirmed incompetent AD at the helm.

Edited by Dick Allen