2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
Here's the problem with that. He is the AD. He hired Beckman. Beckman had issues at his previous job. The guy running the department needs to know what is going on. If his excuse is being naïve, that kind of goes against his job description. He needs to go.

Didn't he also sign the abusive women's basketball coach?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
Didn't he also sign the abusive women's basketball coach?

Wasn't that all proven to be not true?

Also, how does Cubit get a pass here? He's the OC. How do the OC and DC not know about players playing hurt or not getting treatment?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
Wasn't that all proven to be not true?

Also, how does Cubit get a pass here? He's the OC. How do the OC and DC not know about players playing hurt or not getting treatment?

To answer the first question: I don't know, but didn't the assistant immediately run for the hills?

If this were a regular end-of-year firing, I would fully expect Cubit to be gone, however I understand the Illini do have to field a team.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
To answer the first question: I don't know, but didn't the assistant immediately run for the hills?

If this were a regular end-of-year firing, I would fully expect Cubit to be gone, however I understand the Illini do have to field a team.

Mark Lazerus just said Cubit gets an extra $400k the next 4 minths for being the #2 guy in the program, and not knowing what was going on.

I think all the coaches will be gone at the end of the year, but firing all of them now does hurt the players.

This is a really good interview of Gary Pinkel

http://www.rockmnation.com/mizzou-football...otball#comments

He's now been at missouri for about 15 years, and is their winningest coach in an otherwise pretty crappy program outside dan devine's run in the 60s.

It's an interesting perspective on how you grow as a coach.

Edit, here was one of my favorite parts:

BC: And once you have proof that you will rebound doing things a certain way, it probably gets easier, too.

So, one more question about 2012. You said coaching could have gotten you one more game … how important was it to not make a bowl that year? That reality check? Because that’s what the narrative became — I think it was maybe Max Copeland talking about how everybody doubled their efforts because the bowl streak had ended and they knew they had to buckle down. Is that real, or would the same type of improvement have probably happened the next year if you go 6-6 and go to a minor bowl?

GP: I wish we had gone 6-6 and gone to a minor bowl!

I don’t necessarily agree that missing that provided us with the motivation to make that extra move. We didn’t make drastic changes. We didn’t change anything — I told the team we weren’t changing anything and that what we do works, we just had to do it better. It wasn’t a popular statement at the time. But I think it was really neat to see … when you have adversity like that, it was neat to see the players and hear their feelings. I talk to those guys all the time. But they were asking me, "What can we do to make this better? What do you need from me?"

You’d like to say we made all these changes, but if there’s anything we did, we were very concerned with the number of injures we had, so we went back and did an analysis for all our last seven years of practices. Did we start adding things? Were we practicing more? We found out that over the years, we had basically added another practice period. You add up all the hits that happen in August and in Tuesday-Wednesday practices, the physical parts … we went back and pulled those out.

We examined our conditioning, and the feedback we got from our players was that they were fatigued heading into September. So we felt we were over-conditioning, and we backed off. We started taking shoulder pads off on Wednesdays. We only had full pads on Tuesdays. We made a lot of little changes.

It’s not like you can’t get injured, but most injuries are happening when players are fatigued. As a staff, working with Pat Ivey and Rex Sharp, we got together, and I think that really helped us.

Edited by bmags

Drew Lock (true frosh) is the #2 qb on missouri's depth chart. Going to be an interesting year as he has been the real deal in scrimmages (high completion %, TDs, 1 int all fall) vs. the #1 defense whereas Mauk was Mauk (50% completion percentage with long bombs thrown in)

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
I wish the BIG would stop bending over for the SEC. Every time they play an early-season "neutral field" game it's in an SEC state. Grow a pair and make them play a game at Lucas Oil or Ford Field.

It's brilliant for the B1G to play in SEC states. Any victory against said teams is essentially a recruiting advantage. The B1G wants its teams in the spotlight.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
I wish the BIG would stop bending over for the SEC. Every time they play an early-season "neutral field" game it's in an SEC state. Grow a pair and make them play a game at Lucas Oil or Ford Field.

LSU is playing Wisconsin at Lambeau Field, Green Bay, WI next year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
Im hammering the under on Mich v Utah

Rock-I know you were on the ask the insiders board on Scout for OSU. Have you made a switch to Rivals to follow Nevada or 11W? Or you sticking with Scout? I signed up for Rivals and that board is killing it with Nevada and company.

It's brilliant for the B1G to play in SEC states. Any victory against said teams is essentially a recruiting advantage. The B1G wants its teams in the spotlight.

You get little or no less spotlight playing the game up north, and you have a much better chance of winning.

LSU is playing Wisconsin at Lambeau Field, Green Bay, WI next year.

That's good to hear. For several years now, ND has been asking SEC teams to do a home and home series and the SEC teams have been countering with a "neurtral" site game in a southern state. Georgia finally agreed to do the home and home with ND.

QUOTE (bshah723 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
Rock-I know you were on the ask the insiders board on Scout for OSU. Have you made a switch to Rivals to follow Nevada or 11W? Or you sticking with Scout? I signed up for Rivals and that board is killing it with Nevada and company.

I switched to rivals already, my scout subscription is up in a month.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)
That's good to hear. For several years now, ND has been asking SEC teams to do a home and home series and the SEC teams have been countering with a "neurtral" site game in a southern state. Georgia finally agreed to do the home and home with ND.

Kinda like how ND had a neutral site game at Soldier Field vs Miami.

Let's not act like this is just an SEC thing.

Kinda like how ND had a neutral site game at Soldier Field vs Miami.

Let's not act like this is just an SEC thing.

ND moves their neutral site games around the country though, on top of playing home-and-home series with teams all over the country. The SEC teams ALWAYS play their non-conference games at or close to home. All the other conferences are willing to venture outside their home territory at least some of the time.

Go pull up the SEC schedules for the last five years and I doubt you can find more than a half dozen games played outside the south.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
ND moves their neutral site games around the country though, on top of playing home-and-home series with teams all over the country. The SEC teams ALWAYS play their non-conference games at or close to home. All the other conferences are willing to venture outside their home territory at least some of the time.

Go pull up the SEC schedules for the last five years and I doubt you can find more than a half dozen games played outside the south.

And who keeps ending up in the championship game? The SEC. It's better to work the schedule in your favor than try to play fair. That's why they always have the Division 2 Non conference game in late November, it's all part of the chess match.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
And who keeps ending up in the championship game? The SEC. It's better to work the schedule in your favor than try to play fair. That's why they always have the Division 2 Non conference game in late November, it's all part of the chess match.

Chess match didnt work last year, they s*** the bed come bowl season.