Jose Abreu predictions for 2015!

Steve9347

This Cuban dynamo was awesome last year - .317, 36, 107, .964. Can he do better? He certainly seemed to learn as the season went on in terms of batting average, while he lost a bit of power down the stretch. So... what's he going to do this year?

My guess is

.305/42/118/1.002 :o

I think the combination of never getting any rest and pitchers doing different things with him in the 2nd half really wore down his power numbers. If Robin doesn't try to kill him again this year (and conveniently we have a DH who also plays 1b!) I think there's a good chance he snaps out something like a mix of the two halves - higher average than the first half but maybe similar power levels. I think he hits 40 this year, barring injury.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
I think the combination of never getting any rest and pitchers doing different things with him in the 2nd half really wore down his power numbers. If Robin doesn't try to kill him again this year (and conveniently we have a DH who also plays 1b!) I think there's a good chance he snaps out something like a mix of the two halves - higher average than the first half but maybe similar power levels. I think he hits 40 this year, barring injury.

He played 145 games. Started 144. 35 as a DH. 109 as a 1B. If that is a manager trying to kill a player, the White Sox are going to need at least 50 or 60 players to play your style of ball.

I think Jose proved just how good of a hitter he is in the 2nd half last year.

Before the all-star break:

.292/.342/.972 with 72 RBI and 29 HR in 322 AB

After the all-star break:

.350/.435/.948 with 34 RBI and 7 HR in 234 AB

Sure, his power numbers took a hit as the league adjusted to him, and the 162 game season caught up to him. But he absolutely wore out RF in the 2nd half. He looked like one of the best pure hitters in the game (power numbers aside).

My fearless 2015 projection:

.328/.390/.995 with 40 HR and 120 RBI

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
He played 145 games. Started 144. 35 as a DH. 109 as a 1B. If that is a manager trying to kill a player, the White Sox are going to need at least 50 or 60 players to play your style of ball.

145 games having played 90 game seasons in Cuba. It isn't about the race, it is about the conditioning for the race.

I get that the team wants to condition him to play 162, which is why I was OK with that in a throw away year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)

How many games should he have played?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)

You're just never going to get over this are you?