Hawk on the Score with Mully & Hanley this morning

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 08:09 AM)
You do know in 1986 he picked Bonilla in the rule 5 don't you? Trading him probably turned out well for the White Sox. A few more wins the next couple of seasons, they might not have had McDowell, Ventura, Thomas and Fernandez later on.

And if Soxtalk were around in 1986, LaRussa would have been about as popular as Robin Ventura if he brought Cleto in to close a 1 run game with the bases loaded.

I think Larry Himes did a pretty good job as Hawk's replacement. I doubt Dombrowski, if he would have been the replacement had Hawk kept him around, would have been able to match.

Hawk wasn't a great GM. He will be the first to tell you that. But it wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. The 1986 team was doomed. Burns was done. Seaver wanted out. James was done. Hawk got Bonilla, who eventually turned into Lance Johnson. He also got Calderon who was pretty good, and became Tim Raines.

Hawk got the job because the minor league system was worse than it has been at any point the last 20 years. The year before they drafted the great catcher Kurt Brown in round one. The next pick.........Barry Bonds.

They may have felt that bonds wouldn't sign. He turned down the Giants when he was drafted out of high school.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
As I stated, the team was doomed. It was going to be bad. The next regime did a lot better job drafting players than ANY regime in White Sox history.

And Hawk made some good trades. Calderon was a good player, and he also got the White Sox Tim Raines. Jose DeLeon, acquired for Bonilla, who Hawk selected in the rule 5 draft, was a good pitcher, and he also eventually netted Lance Johnson. Bonilla was better than DeLeon, but not as good as what the Sox might not have had if they had kept him.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/1/11/3862...y-minor-leagues

It's not like Bonilla was all that good away from barry bonds.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
It's not like Bonilla was all that good away from barry bonds.

Can the f***ing season start tomorrow, please? I dream of the day that I can watch mother f***ing White Sox baseball every god damned day, especially during the week while at work.

Mother f***ing f***ing f*** f***..... f***!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
Can the f***ing season start tomorrow, please? I dream of the day that I can watch mother f***ing White Sox baseball every god damned day, especially during the week while at work.

Mother f***ing f***ing f*** f***..... f***!

Am I f***ing right, or am I f***ing wrong?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
None of you have commented on what was, at least for me, the most interesting and debatable thing that he said. He asserted that Beckham was the best defensive second baseman

in the League. He also said that he was the best at turning the double play. Many on this board would disagree, vehemently. Even the notion that he might be the starting second baseman

raises questions. Hawk said that Sanchez could not cover the ground, or throw like Beckham.

Thoughts?

Well...Hawk tends to sensationalize some of the attributes that many of the Whitesox players have. Pretty much all the time.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
None of you have commented on what was, at least for me, the most interesting and debatable thing that he said. He asserted that Beckham was the best defensive second baseman

in the League. He also said that he was the best at turning the double play. Many on this board would disagree, vehemently. Even the notion that he might be the starting second baseman

raises questions. Hawk said that Sanchez could not cover the ground, or throw like Beckham.

Thoughts?

He's nowhere close to being the best defensive 2B in the league. He is good at turning the double play.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
He's nowhere close to being the best defensive 2B in the league. He is good at turning the double play.

That's been my take. Thanks for clarifying your opinion on the subject.

Wouldn't you say that his range is his weakest factor?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
Hawk's year as the GM has been written and talked about as something that basically set the team back for 5 years. That team was going to be bad regardless of who the GM was. All you really have to do is check the roster. There were some pieces acquired that helped in the future.

I laugh at all of the people now who made it seem like Hawk committed some sort of felony when he got rid of LaRussa. LaRussa got booed every time he went to the mound. Many of the same people who would call into radio shows to say LaRussa sucked and needed to go are fans that now use firing LaRussa as proof Hawk is an idiot.

You make that sound like an unusual thing lol

Nice analysis and much fairer than what Hawk usually receives.

One of Hawk's underlying philosophies when he was running the show was that you could not work for the White Sox unless you were a former big league ballplayer. Pretty hard headed way of thinking. There are lots of very good baseball executives, announcers, scouts, traveling secretaries, etc, scattered around baseball who were never big leaguers, including our guy who is running things.

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
who's better, Hawk and Stoney, or Harry and Jimmy?

thanks, douglas

Harry and Jimmy and a case of Old Style (Falstaff?) was the best combination ever.

And they wouldn't last a week in the modern PC world.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 06:59 PM)
That was a bad interview. Just ungodly bias. Beckham sucks.

I really hope that this is Hawk's last year. He's literally losing his mind and if you look at some of the video of him during the ice bucket challenge it's obvious his body is frail and not up to the rigors of following the team for 162 games. It's in his own interests to scale back and I just hope he doesn't have to be forced out of the booth or turn into a situation like Harry Carry at the end.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
I really hope that this is Hawk's last year. He's literally losing his mind and if you look at some of the video of him during the ice bucket challenge it's obvious his body is frail and not up to the rigors of following the team for 162 games. It's in his own interests to scale back and I just hope he doesn't have to be forced out of the booth or turn into a situation like Harry Carry at the end.

Seems like he is pulling a Ron Santo. So desperate for the Hall of Fame, he is sticking around thinking he can help his chances, while in fact he may be hurting them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
Seems like he is pulling a Ron Santo. So desperate for the Hall of Fame, he is sticking around thinking he can help his chances, while in fact he may be hurting them.

I don't think he gives two s***s about the hof...I think he's just enjoying himself, especially since he probably can't play as much golf anymore.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 08:06 PM)

If you remember, he was going to scale back but because of all the moves Hahn made..he decided to stick around full time.

He can gradually reduce time if he wanted. Start with most home games, all away games in the division, and at Wrigley. Then maybe half the home games, and no road games. And then he gawn.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
Aside from the sox Cubs prediction, Sounds like he hasn't completely lost his mind yet.

Best defensive OF in baseball comment Hawk was in mid season form. Hawk and his GB love is a little unhealthy at this point.

Edited by Soxfest