Hawk on the Score with Mully & Hanley this morning

Kyyle23

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
he is monotone, but the nonsense that comes out of his mouth more than matches Hawk

Well, tone and delivery are how I look at it.

What Hawk says isn't nearly as obnoxious as the way he says it.

Listen to the Tigers radio announcers - those guys are bigger homers and jaw more nonsense than Hawk -but they aren't as obnoxious about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
I really don't like Ed Farmer at all.

My biggest pet peeve with Farmer is his penchant to call a strike out with a generic "he got him" or "strike three" without specifying whether it was called or swinging. He did that all the time when he took over PBP from Rooney, and while he doesn't do it as much anymore, he still does it once in awhile and that drives me crazy.

To me, that's unacceptable for a radio announcer. Just describe what happened; don't let the listener have to assume.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 12:15 PM)
My biggest pet peeve with Farmer is his penchant to call a strike out with a generic "he got him" or "strike three" without specifying whether it was called or swinging. He did that all the time when he took over PBP from Rooney, and while he doesn't do it as much anymore, he still does it once in awhile and that drives me crazy.

To me, that's unacceptable for a radio announcer. Just describe what happened; don't let the listener have to assume.

Not only do I feel like not only is he a bad radio guy, I think he personality is moody and surly. It comes off awful on radio. The awkward silences combine with the inane negative rants. blah.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
Not only do I feel like not only is he a bad radio guy, I think he personality is moody and surly. It comes off awful on radio. The awkward silences combine with the inane negative rants. blah.

Agreed. I liked him though as color man to Rooney (who is obviously as good as they come and can cover for a weaker partner), but he is just not suited to carry the PBP load.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
Agreed. I liked him though as color man to Rooney (who is obviously as good as they come and can cover for a weaker partner), but he is just not suited to carry the PBP load.

When Rooney when to St Louis, two things became really obvious. #1 how good Rooney is. #2 how bad Farmer is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)

Farmer is a guy who you think would be a jerk, but he's actually a very nice guy in person. DJ as well. Obviously, that probably doesn't matter whether you like his broadcast style or not, but just throwing that out there.

i can handle Farmer and DJ in small doses, but Farmer really grates on me with his inside jokes and calling a homerun for every batter. And I agree with an earlier post that Farmer really doesnt paint the picture well, he leaves out a lot of key details when calling a game. He doesnt harbor grudges like Hawk though

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
I like Farmer and DJ but I know I'm the minority here, and I also recognize it's because I don't listen to the radio broadcast often.

I love DJ, but it is such an awkward pairing. They get into these weird discussions, and then Farmer will just quit talking. They either really hate each other, or they have some sort of weird inside joke thing they do way too often.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
I love the Farmer and DJ pairing. It has nothing to do with baseball but they're so damn weird and awkward that they make me laugh when I listen to them. But like others have said, I guess that'd probably change if I listened to them a lot.

I have MLB audio so I can listen to day games at work, and so I can listen if I am not home. There is definitely a diminishing marginal return.

I love the Farmer and DJ pairing. It has nothing to do with baseball but they're so damn weird and awkward that they make me laugh when I listen to them. But like others have said, I guess that'd probably change if I listened to them a lot.

Same reason I love Pasch and Walton.

I love them for this reason.

But in all honesty, I'd probably get rid of all the announcers but DJ.