White Sox sign Matt Albers

flavum

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
Another very nice move. I fully expect that one if not both of Crain & Albers could be key pieces for this bullpen moving through the season and providing stability for this pen.

Can't beat these low risk/high reward moves. Brad Penny could be in the mix too.

100% agreed. These low risk/high reward signings are very nice.

At the risk of sounding like a s***-head, I have to take issue with people characterizing this move as "low risk, high reward."

First of all, such a signing is inherently impossible - that's not how risk and reward work.

Second, I would not call Matt Albers a "high reward" guy. That would imply some kind of big upside, but realistically, the most we'll get out of Albers is a pretty good groundballing middle reliever. And while that'd be lovely, it's not going to change the outlook of the team.

Edited by shysocks

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
At the risk of sounding like a s***-head, I have to take issue with people characterizing this move as "low risk, high reward."

First of all, such a signing is inherently impossible - that's not how risk and reward work.

Second, I would not call Matt Albers a "high reward" guy. That would imply some kind of big upside, but realistically, the most we'll get out of Albers is a pretty good groundballing middle reliever. And while that'd be lovely, it's not going to change the outlook of the team.

FALSE.

Low risk/high reward things:

1. Insurance industry

2. Fan takes half court shot to win a million bucks

3. $1 lottery ticket

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)

Low Risk= minor league contract with a $1.5M ceiling.

High Reward= a good bullpen arm that throws 50 innings and doesn't consistently blow games.

If you honestly don't think players like this can change the outlook of the team, you obviously didn't watch much of last year or any team that had a bad bullpen.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)

High Reward= a good bullpen arm that throws 50 innings and doesn't consistently blow games.

If you honestly don't think players like this can change the outlook of the team, you obviously didn't watch much of last year or any team that had a bad bullpen.

Eh, I sort of agree with him. It's a good move and I'm glad the Sox made it, but when it comes to low risk/high reward moves, Jesse Crain is probably the biggest low risk/high reward signing of the group. If he's healthy, he's going to be a very valuable member of the pen.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
Eh, I sort of agree with him. It's a good move and I'm glad the Sox made it, but when it comes to low risk/high reward moves, Jesse Crain is probably the biggest low risk/high reward signing of the group. If he's healthy, he's going to be a very valuable member of the pen.

Crains medical file is not great.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)

Left shark you are such a s***-head

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
FALSE.

Low risk/high reward things:

1. Insurance industry

2. Fan takes half court shot to win a million bucks

3. $1 lottery ticket

"Low risk" and "low monetary commitment" are not necessarily the same thing. A lotto ticket is the ultimate high risk/high reward transaction because there's an almost 100% chance that you won't get anything back, but obviously if you win, you win big.

And if there was a contest where Hahn could attempt a half court shot to win Max Scherzer's services for seven years, I hope he'd give it a shot, but that's not a marketplace.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)

Albers is low risk/low return all the way. Maybe we disagree about what constitutes a high reward, but I've watched plenty of Sox baseball and I still don't think a run-of-the-mill middle reliever qualifies.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 13, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)

I know you're trying to agree with me, but "If he's healthy" is exactly why Crain is also a high-risk move despite not costing that much. The market pretty much agreed on his value- if more teams thought he would return to form (thus lowering the risk), his price would have been higher which would lower the return (the $/WAR he can provide). It's also possible everyone was wrong and the Sox saw something that made Crain a sure shot - it happens in "perfect" markets like the NYSE all the time.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 14, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
Another great post by shysocks. It is a great post because I agree with it.

I don't think anyone's hating on it.

Thanks much, and no, I'm not hating on he signing. It's fine. I was just bothered when "low risk high reward" came up in like four consecutive posts because it's just not true.

I'm a little curious about this signing.

First, he's a mediocre pitcher to begin with.

Second, the Sox loaded the 40 man with several new relief pitchers, several of whom are "use or lose": Cleto (not new but not no 25 man for most of the year), Fernandez, Garcia, Jennings, Ynoa. Plus, they signed 2 FAs, which means 2 incumbents are off.

To keep all of these relievers, they had to jettison Jordan Danks. I'm not a fan of his, but the Sox do seem a bench glove short at this time.