The Fashion Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
I own two suits (one grey and one charcoal pinstripe), but I only wear one of them these days, and I rarely wear it at that. But it is quite nice, it's a BB Golden Fleece.

As for shoes, depends on my mood -- I'm a big believer in "dressing the part", so I can be just as comfortable in any environment.

These are my latest boots, however: http://www.amazon.com/Marc-New-York-Andrew...+new+york+boots

I will state that I'm the guy at your office (there is always one of us), that seemingly gets away with wearing whatever he wants, even if its against dress code. Today, I'm wearing Solomon Speedcross 3 off road sneakers, along with dress pants and a sweater type nice shirt...because I felt like it.

I wear a hoodie, jeans and a graphic t-shirt a lot of days when I dont go to court.

I hate expensive things so I get my ties at Nordstrom Rack (youd be surprised how many people ask where I get them), my suits are from random Macy's sales and my shoes are from DSW.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
I wear a hoodie, jeans and a graphic t-shirt a lot of days when I dont go to court.

I hate expensive things so I get my ties at Nordstrom Rack (youd be surprised how many people ask where I get them), my suits are from random Macy's sales and my shoes are from DSW.

:angry:

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
I feel ya. I'm down 15 lbs on a trek to get down about 40. When i'm done i'm going to need a whole new wardrobe. Not looking forward to that.

Actually, if you lose that weight, you may enjoy wearing nice things more.

I eat relatively well and I work out 3-4 times a week for most of the year. Part of the benefit of staying in that kind of shape is showing it off by wearing well-fitting clothes.

If you google "How much should I spend on a suit," most publications/blogs will say it doesn't necessarily matter...what matters most is that the suit fits you like a glove. This is true, except with the caveat that the better quality suit, the better the chances of it fitting like a glove. For off the rack suits, the way the suit is constructed often is correlated with how much the tailor can alter it. It doesn't necessarily have to be very expensive for it to fit you well, but it helps if it is made to some minimum level of quality/materials.

I know that when I got in better shape I really got a boost of confidence and that confidence was further increased by dressing well. Like I mentioned earlier, wearing a nice suit or even a really nicely fitting shirt can be your "armour." I feel like staying in good shape and dressing well is an investment in my career, to be honest.

I'm sure most people don't think about clothes this way, but I've found it to be very true for me.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
Actually, if you lose that weight, you may enjoy wearing nice things more.

I eat relatively well and I work out 3-4 times a year for most of the year. Part of the benefit of staying in that kind of shape is showing it off by wearing well-fitting clothes.

If you google "How much should I spend on a suit," most publications/blogs will say it doesn't necessarily matter...what matters most is that the suit fits you like a glove. This is true, except with the caveat that the better quality suit, the better the chances of it fitting like a glove. For off the rack suits, the way the suit is constructed often is correlated with how much the tailor can alter it. It doesn't necessarily have to be very expensive for it to fit you well, but it helps if it is made to some minimum level of quality/materials.

I know that when I got in better shape I really got a boost of confidence and that confidence was further increased by dressing well. Like I mentioned earlier, wearing a nice suit or even a really nicely fitting shirt can be your "armour." I feel like staying in good shape and dressing well is an investment in my career, to be honest.

I'm sure most people don't think about clothes this way, but I've found it to be very true for me.

I'm far from a fashion guy but I also started to buy and wear much nicer clothes when I got in better shape.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
I wear suits 2-3 times a week and while it sounded awesome as a kid, I f***ing hate it now, especially in the summer. I own 7 suits - (in order of purchase) navy (#1 purchase no matter what for any interview), dark gray, dark gray pinstripe, light gray, light gray pinstripe, black and a white/black checkered patterned one that I rarely wear. Haven't yet jumped into the tan and browns yet. I also have three sport coats, two navy and one light tan to go with jeans. All purchased at Mens Wearhouse/Joseph A. Bank. My cheap suits there ("buy ONE get THREE free!") last every bit as long as the real expensive stuff, which is a waste of money IMO.

I buy cheap ass dress shoes. 40-50 dollar kenneth coles on amazon. They last 1-2 years and then I buy again. I go through dress shoes too quickly to buy anything nice. I bought a nice pair a few years ago, like 200-250 and they were basically done after one year and the cost to repair them was like 100 bucks. f*** that jazz.

I own a ton of white collared shirts, and more collared shirts with some shade/pattern of blue than I care to admit.

I have a decent tie selection/collection, although the ties I bought 10-12 years ago (at age 20) are now out of date. I'm officially old.

I despise clothing. I despise "fashion." Not that I don't enjoy looking nice or seeing my wife in a gorgeous outfit, but frankly for all the money and comfort and everything it's just not worth it. If it were socially acceptable I would wear the same thing every day.

I disagree with the cheap suit thing, while I wouldn't recommend getting nothing but expensive suits, I would recommend getting ONE very nice suit that you wear out for a night on the town. Think Vegas, a fancy party, or something similar. The material, the way it looks, the way it feels, the way it drapes...you can tell...they simply look and feel better. I absolutely love my nice suit...and hate my cheap one.

I work for a software company, and in typical tech fashion, our dress code is pretty relaxed. I usually wear slacks and a polo or button-down, but recently started wearing jeans more often.

I won't add too much right now, but I wanted to make a point about shoes: I'm a big fan of investing in nice shoes. Doesn't have to be Gucci or something that runs $600, but $150-250 can still look fantastic for a long time if you shine them and keep them in good condition. I typically only buy Cole Haan. But find something that works best for you (fit, style, etc).

Also, for those of you without as much expendable income, Joseph A Bank is always having some sort of sale. Some of their stuff might be cheaply-made (which is expected with their prices), but I actually like their dress shirts a lot. Never bought a suit or slacks from there though.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)
I disagree with the cheap suit thing, while I wouldn't recommend getting nothing but expensive suits, I would recommend getting ONE very nice suit that you wear out for a night on the town. Think Vegas, a fancy party, or something similar. The material, the way it looks, the way it feels, the way it drapes...you can tell...they simply look and feel better. I absolutely love my nice suit...and hate my cheap one.

Even a cheap suit can be tailored to better fit you. Even big chains like K&G have in-house tailors.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 06:59 PM)
The material still doesn't look or feel the same.

Yeah, I mean there are reasons for differences in prices...the bottom line is a cheaper suit that is well tailored can look better than a more expensive suit that is not.

I have a few Banana Republic suits that look nice because I have had them tailored, but they are no match for the really nice handmade suit I have.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
Another sleeper item that is pretty valuable-metal collar stays. Throw away those plastic flimsy pieces of s***.

Truth. I switched over to metal collar stays years ago. They give your collars a much neater and cleaner look. You can get them on Amazon for like $10-15 too.

Whether you're talking about suits, shirts or regular wardrobe, fitting is absolutely crucial. Never wear clothes bigger than your size as that just looks sloppy. I am 5'9" and 170. A slim fit 15.5 x 33 shirt from Brooks Brother fits me perfectly. Even when I am wearing a regular Express or CK shirt, I get many compliments from female friends because they like how well my clothes fit on me. Fitting is definitely a small change you can make to look more clean without throwing big bucks on your wardrobe.

Another classic rule of thumb I think Shack touched on is owning a navy blazer, they are extremely versatile, especially for those who travel for work and have to pack light. When wearing navy, I always go for brown accessories not dark, it's definitely puts a more trendy touch to it. Also, try to color match your shoes, belt, and wristband of your watch.

I don't like to spend too much on any items of clothing, as I like to experimental different styles and colors and pair with different accessories. If you're the trendy type of guy, cuff links and pocket squares are your friends. They are easy to wear as there aren't too many rules around it, and when your wear them, people would definitely take notice.

I don't know what I agree with here. I worry that some may read this and assume you need to go highest quality first. First you should experiment with matching colors and patterns well. Learn this and you can make 1-2 suits feel like 5 by bringing in different components. If you are going to wear suits all the time, you will end up paying more to get better fabric. The cheaper items may look comparable but they don't breathe or feel great.

Shoes on the other hand, I don't see a point going for a big brand. Go to Nordstrom rack and find a pair that you like a lot and buy it. Nobody will be able to pinpoint a $400 shoe to a $80 shoe, it's not until you get to really nice leathers that you can tell.

But yes, have at least one suit tailored and nice. I have a custom suit I bought before my wedding. I love it and hate when I have to wear the others.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 08:18 PM)
Whether you're talking about suits, shirts or regular wardrobe, fitting is absolutely crucial. Never wear clothes bigger than your size as that just looks sloppy. I am 5'9" and 170. A slim fit 15.5 x 33 shirt from Brooks Brother fits me perfectly. Even when I am wearing a regular Express or CK shirt, I get many compliments from female friends because they like how well my clothes fit on me. Fitting is definitely a small change you can make to look more clean without throwing big bucks on your wardrobe.

Another classic rule of thumb I think Shack touched on is owning a navy blazer, they are extremely versatile, especially for those who travel for work and have to pack light. When wearing navy, I always go for brown accessories not dark, it's definitely puts a more trendy touch to it. Also, try to color match your shoes, belt, and wristband of your watch.

I don't like to spend too much on any items of clothing, as I like to experimental different styles and colors and pair with different accessories. If you're the trendy type of guy, cuff links and pocket squares are your friends. They are easy to wear as there aren't too many rules around it, and when your wear them, people would definitely take notice.

Definitely looking to get into this soon.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
Yeah, I mean there are reasons for differences in prices...the bottom line is a cheaper suit that is well tailored can look better than a more expensive suit that is not.

I have a few Banana Republic suits that look nice because I have had them tailored, but they are no match for the really nice handmade suit I have.

The free tailoring and even selling at lots of those places is so lazy you are already behind the eight ball. The material isnt very good quality nor is how its put together but some decent tailoring outside of the store can make it look nice.

If you felt or even wore one of the custom made ones I have vs an old Men's Warehouse one you would know the different immediately, but if you never wear suits there is probably no reason to drop a few thousand dollars on one. Just take that cheaper one and go to a real tailor. Also make sure they fit you correctly at the store, those guys are notorious for putting people in giant suits, even pushing the old school 3 button ones.