Derrick Rose to have surgery on Torn Right Meniscus

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
They aren't going to rebuild though. They almost have to double down on Rose. He's owed $20 million each of the next two years. They are stuck there. Gasol and Butler will be around. I would look to deal Noah and Taj and see if I can get more scoring to compliment Rose/Butler/Gasol. They can't pay Noah again so they might as well use him as a potential asset.

Too bad his value has dropped off a cliff this year.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
They aren't going to rebuild though. They almost have to double down on Rose. He's owed $20 million each of the next two years. They are stuck there. Gasol and Butler will be around. I would look to deal Noah and Taj and see if I can get more scoring to compliment Rose/Butler/Gasol. They can't pay Noah again so they might as well use him as a potential asset.

They may double down on their wings, but the frontcourt may be not the building block it once was.

Really only thing that kills me in this is, obviously it sucks for Rose, but with the deadline past, we are going to have a tough time finding a PG (cause Brooks as a starter will be a disaster and we all know Hinrich can't handle a full load anymore and he himself has fallen off a cliff). I think we'll see this team (maybe a short blip) but rise to the occassion. For those that say the Bulls are screwed, we'll see what Rose can do but we have a guy who is developing into a superstar in Jimmy Butler and it is now his team (along with Noah's). If Rose can get healed and get back, great, all the better, but the torch has been passed to Butler.

Butler looked like a star, but he's been pretty average recently.

It really does suck. We could have probably gotten Dragic or at the very LEAST MCW, whom I think I would have liked for his d. Instead...we're rolling with a 5'10 PG who is a much worse distributor than DJ was. I miss DJ.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)

It really does suck. We could have probably gotten Dragic or at the very LEAST MCW, whom I think I would have liked for his d. Instead...we're rolling with a 5'10 PG who is a much worse distributor than DJ was. I miss DJ.

I think a lot of that was bowing to Rose as Rose bricked shot after shot.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)

I don't think you want MCW. I'd rather have Aaron Brooks.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
I don't think you want MCW. I'd rather have Aaron Brooks.

I don't understand why that's a rather statement. I'd like to have a PG with length for defensive purposes. You saw how wall/beal destroyed DJ with ease when the games mattered. Our length is now 100% kirk hinrich. So it's "i'd rather have MCW playing 12 minutes than kirk play 35"

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
No, it hasn't, his postgame turn-around fadeaway jumpers have predictably disappeared.

I do think a lot of this has to do with rose and others getting more shots and bad spacing with MJD being gone. Butler is also playing with a messed up finger. Watch Butler elevate his game. This off-season, Bulls need to find a way to get a true point guard (which probably shouldn't be that difficult).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
I do think a lot of this has to do with rose and others getting more shots and bad spacing with MJD being gone. Butler is also playing with a messed up finger. Watch Butler elevate his game. This off-season, Bulls need to find a way to get a true point guard (which probably shouldn't be that difficult).

I just find this hard to believe because in December when Rose was playing his best, so was Jimmy. I find it more likely that MJD affected this, as a lot of the success jimmy had early was getting the 2 guard match-up and overpowering them. Then he was exclusively a 3 in january save for some niko moments.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
No, it hasn't, his postgame turn-around fadeaway jumpers have predictably disappeared.

His numbers look pretty steady across the board all season. He had a dropoff in January, when the whole team dropped off, but he has picked it back up in February

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)
I just find this hard to believe because in December when Rose was playing his best, so was Jimmy. I find it more likely that MJD affected this, as a lot of the success jimmy had early was getting the 2 guard match-up and overpowering them. Then he was exclusively a 3 in january save for some niko moments.

By the way...I do think Rose comes back this year and this injury doesn't end his career. I do think this injury means the Bulls officially pass the torch to Butler to be their star, which is good. It should take a lot of pressure off Rose and in the off-season we can add a PG and give Rose more minutes at the 2 spot.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)
By the way...I do think Rose comes back this year and this injury doesn't end his career. I do think this injury means the Bulls officially pass the torch to Butler to be their star, which is good. It should take a lot of pressure off Rose and in the off-season we can add a PG and give Rose more minutes at the 2 spot.

Agree, this injury isn't significant enough to end Derrick's career. However, I don't think we're going to see Derrick play at the levels we're hoping could/would. I think this will be the final nail in Thibs tenure as HC. I don't think Derrick will be on the roster after his contract expires. I think the Bulls will be mired in mediocrity for the foreseeable future. I think lots of things.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)

The crap thing with this injury is just, you have 20 million tied to a player that there is now no doubt you cannot rely on to play. The other crap thing is kirk hinrich.

He may come back, but either way, the great play we are getting from low market value short pgs is great, until they are your only PG.

Luckily, this league has a lot of great PGs now.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
Agree, this injury isn't significant enough to end Derrick's career. However, I don't think we're going to see Derrick play at the levels we're hoping could/would. I think this will be the final nail in Thibs tenure as HC. I don't think Derrick will be on the roster after his contract expires. I think the Bulls will be mired in mediocrity for the foreseeable future. I think lots of things.

I agree with most everything you said, however, I've long pointed to 2016 as the year Rose regains his all star status (and that is still in reach if he can come back and play this season, imo). I think the worst thing for him would be not getting back this season and having a long off-season. If he comes back and plays this season, he can have a normal off-season, played in at least a decent chunk of this season, playoffs, etc, and be in a position to move forward in 16.

The piece I don't understand is how is Rose's injury a nail in Thibbs tenure? What did Tom do to drive or lead to this injury. The Bulls and Rose couldn't have been more conservative with Rose (since his initial injury) and this is what has happened. How can a finger for any of these more recent injuries be put in Thibbs direction? Rose isn't playing heavy minutes. In fact, he's largely been babied since his first injury. I'd argue he might have been better off had they pushed things more (look at Westbrook).

All this said, lets not forget that the reinjury of the meniscus is relatively common and not overly serious (look at Westbrook). If you want hope, you at least have Westbrook to look at. He's better than ever.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
The crap thing with this injury is just, you have 20 million tied to a player that there is now no doubt you cannot rely on to play. The other crap thing is kirk hinrich.

He may come back, but either way, the great play we are getting from low market value short pgs is great, until they are your only PG.

Luckily, this league has a lot of great PGs now.

Which is why I say of all positions to have to add to in the off-season, PG is a good one to need cause their is a dearth of quality PG's.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
Steve seems to be making a bunch of assumptions on the media's perception of Rose. The news out this morning is very positive. It seems inevitable that he will get the meniscus removed as from what I've read, it's standard operating procedure after a retear.

I am sure April will either suck or suck really bad.

i disagree with this. I think they will actually be better than what we have seen

Thinking more positively:

1) I dunno why we're assuming that this is it for Rose. Sounds like this small tear was not so much expected, but common enough to be a legit possibility. Westbrook had it too. McDermott had a small tear in December that was snipped and he's back now. I think what dooms Rose is that he has s***ty knees, not this re-injury in particular.

2) I don't know why this would be the end of Thibs. Are you just assuming if the Bulls get knocked out early that would be the Bulls' excuse to get rid of him? I don't think that's a winning argument. Everyone knows that when healthy the Bulls are a title contender, and have been every year Thibs has been on the bench. Bad luck has kept him from taking the team to the Finals. I still think giving up on Thibs would be one of the dumber moves (in a long list) that the franchise has made.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
Steve seems to be making a bunch of assumptions on the media's perception of Rose. The news out this morning is very positive. It seems inevitable that he will get the meniscus removed as from what I've read, it's standard operating procedure after a retear.

I am sure April will either suck or suck really bad.

Is the surgery today? 7+ weeks till the end of the season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
The piece I don't understand is how is Rose's injury a nail in Thibbs tenure?

Thibs was rumored to be gone after this season, barring enough public pressure to bring him back. Meaning he had to get the Bulls to the Finals... or win them... No DROSE, No Finals... HE GONE

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
Thinking more positively:

1) I dunno why we're assuming that this is it for Rose. Sounds like this small tear was not so much expected, but common enough to be a legit possibility. Westbrook had it too. McDermott had a small tear in December that was snipped and he's back now. I think what dooms Rose is that he has s***ty knees, not this re-injury in particular.

2) I don't know why this would be the end of Thibs. Are you just assuming if the Bulls get knocked out early that would be the Bulls' excuse to get rid of him? I don't think that's a winning argument. Everyone knows that when healthy the Bulls are a title contender, and have been every year Thibs has been on the bench. Bad luck has kept him from taking the team to the Finals. I still think giving up on Thibs would be one of the dumber moves (in a long list) that the franchise has made.

This is his third knee injury. I have no doubt he will come back and play. But the Derrick Rose of MVPness is dead. Heck the All-Star Derrick Rose should have dirt thrown on his grave as well. Now he is just overpaid Derrick Rose.

Let's just hope Reggie didn't spend all of Derrick's money on SAT study guides.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Feb 25, 2015 -> 11:35 AM)
Thibs was rumored to be gone after this season, barring enough public pressure to bring him back. Meaning he had to get the Bulls to the Finals... or win them... No DROSE, No Finals... HE GONE

He shouldnt be expected to reach the finals with Rose gone