RIP Minnie Minoso

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minnie was my dad's 2nd favorite White Sox when he was a kid, close behind Nellie Fox. During the 2005 playoff run, I went to Games 3 and 4 in Anaheim, the last one with a friend of mine who happened to be Cuban. We had nosebleed seats, but the last few innings the crowd really thinned out, and so we decided to relocate to a section along the 1st base line where we saw a large contingent of Sox fans. Shortly after we sit down, I realize we are sitting right next to Minnie Minoso. Minnie spoke with us throughout the rest of the game, and he was the 1st person I high-fived at the end of the game. He couldn't have been nicer or more excited about the Sox.

Minnie loved the Sox through and through. Talented, classy, loyal--you couldn't ask for a better representative for the organization. RIP Minnie.

Damn. He was a great representative of Chicago and the White Sox. In the years when the team had no chance it was guys like Minnie who made baseball special and a reason to go watch the team play. Being a baseball fan is so much more than just watching championship teams. It's watching great people and respecting the traditions. RIP

Minnie got to play when it was game not a business. When I was growing up I remember him playing in the 1980s and the newspaper coverage about his career. I remember having his baseball card and looking at the stats. He was lucky in some ways, unlucky he couldn't have hit free agency and made some real money.

He was so much fun in 05 06. I think I've mentioned that I don't know s much about Sox history since my dad was an Is fan. Minoso was it. He was the first guy I knew and clung too and wish I could have seen.

I remember when Sox got Minnie in 1951, and how he captivated the city and especially Sox fans. To this day I use variations of his name in many of my passwords, so I think of him often. He was a dandy.

Funny how he and Ernie Banks died so close together in time.

RIP.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 1, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
I just read a good, but probably easy for a big White Sox fan, trivia question. There is still an active player who had a teammate who was a teammate of Minnie's.

Took me a while but I figured it out. That's awesome