RIP Minnie Minoso

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this was mentioned already but I hate seeing the Minoso thread sinking down the page because most of us never saw the man play and don't realize how truly gifted he was as a player and even moreso as a person. SSS writes 3 articles and has a podcast about his passing and his career. It is some of his best work and every Sox fan should read it as well as the others. http://www.southsidesox.com/2015/3/2/81314...o-rest-in-peace .

In another article referenced by SSS I'll give you this part:

In The New Bill James Historical Abstract (The Free Press, 2000), James, the leading pioneer of baseball analytics, ranks Minoso as the 10th greatest left fielder of all time, ahead of Hall of Famers Billy Williams (11th), Ed Delahanty (12th), Joe Medwick (13th), Jesse Burkett (14th), Lou Brock (15th), Goose Goslin (16th), Ralph Kiner (18th), Fred Clarke (22nd), Zack Wheat (23rd), Jim Rice (27th), Joe Kelley (28th) and Heinie Manush (30th)

James rates Minoso as the 91st best player of all time, writing:

"Minoso didn't get to play in the Majors until he was 28 years old, but had a better career after 28 than almost any Hall of Fame left/right fielder. He had a .389 on-base percentage -- better than any of the other outfielders in this part of the rankings except Paul Waner (better than [Tim] Raines, Clemente, Al Simmons, [Willie] Stargell, [Al] Kaline, Ken Griffey Jr. For that matter, better than Willie Mays or Henry Aaron). Minoso hit for power, drove in 100 runs like clockwork, was a Gold Glove outfielder and one of the best baserunners of his time. Rate that group of outfielders in terms of power, defense, baserunning, batting average etc. and I think you'll see that Minoso more than holds his own. He led his league at various times in hits, doubles, triples, total bases, hit by pitch (in which he led ten times), sacrifice flies, stolen bases, stolen base percentage, on-base percentage, and slugging percentage. He never won a batting title, but was second in hitting twice, in the top five, five times. He was a hustling, aggressive player, immensely popular with fans in both Cleveland and Chicago. Had he gotten to play when he was 21 years old, I think he'd probably be rated among the top 30 players of all time."

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 3, 2015 -> 07:31 AM)
Sorry if this was mentioned already but I hate seeing the Minoso thread sinking down the page because most of us never saw the man play and don't realize how truly gifted he was as a player and even moreso as a person. SSS writes 3 articles and has a podcast about his passing and his career. It is some of his best work and every Sox fan should read it as well as the others. http://www.southsidesox.com/2015/3/2/81314...o-rest-in-peace .

Agreed, some great stuff at SSS this week.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Mar 4, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
I think changing the billboard sign facing the Dan Ryan to something that honors Minnie would be a classy touch

I never see this because I come up 35th from the west, but I know they finally changed it from '05 to something honoring Frank, then changed it to something with Konerko. Is it still Konerko?

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Mar 4, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)
I never see this because I come up 35th from the west, but I know they finally changed it from '05 to something honoring Frank, then changed it to something with Konerko. Is it still Konerko?

Yep still Konerko

My daughter forwarded one of her friends posts about their neighbor Minnie and how he would come over and tell stories. They have pictures of them wearing his championship rings. (Did he receive one from the 2005 team? it seems like it). She asked me "isn't that cool?".

No daughter, cool is introducing me to your friends and me having photos of wearing those rings and meeting Minnie in his kitchen. This is the same daughter who once called me up and said, I thought you said the baseball season is over. My boyfriend invited me to a Cardinal's game tomorrow? Why are they playing? Should I go, will it be fun?

It's called the World Series. Field box seats. World Series. Yeah, it would be fun SMH