2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
This must be false. I heard Dan Bernstein say on the radio it could not happen.

I wouldn't blame him, frankly we're all saying we're suprised/impressed about it. Frankly I'm a bit more surprised...the Bears have that huge investment in Cutler, so I'd think that even with decent cap savings Marshall would be worth that cap hit to keep around him.

Guess he really did become part of the problem last year.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)
I wouldn't blame him, frankly we're all saying we're suprised/impressed about it. Frankly I'm a bit more surprised...the Bears have that huge investment in Cutler, so I'd think that even with decent cap savings Marshall would be worth that cap hit to keep around him.

Guess he really did become part of the problem last year.

Marshall and Jeffrey are redundant, they need to add a speed threat. The investment in Cutler should really have no impact on Marshalls status with the Bears, I think it is pretty obvious that Cutler is not going to collect this entire contract with the Bears, and it is becoming likely that this season is the last in a Bears uniform.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
I personally don't believe Mariota is an NFL starting QB but a part of me wants to think that Pace and Fox see something in him and think that he is going to be great. And that it winds up working out because they are waaaay smarter than me and thats why they do what they do and I am just a fan.

Thats what I would like to happen.

I would like the rams to trade up to 7 for a 3rd.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
Marshall and Jeffrey are redundant, they need to add a speed threat. The investment in Cutler should really have no impact on Marshalls status with the Bears, I think it is pretty obvious that Cutler is not going to collect this entire contract with the Bears, and it is becoming likely that this season is the last in a Bears uniform.

JMO - if this is likely Cutler's last season in a Bears uniform, see if there's any way you can save the roster bonus he's due on the 12th and just cut the cord.

remind me again why this is such a great move?

The Bears are CLEARLY worse without Marshall than with him. And for what? 3.9 million in extra cap space (when cap space is a non issue and we have a paucity of internally drafted players that will be due bigger payouts in the near future ) and a 5th round pick?

I realize they got something for him instead of nothing, but why did they have to cut him in the first place?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 07:04 PM)

The Bears are CLEARLY worse without Marshall than with him. And for what? 3.9 million in extra cap space (when cap space is a non issue and we have a paucity of internally drafted players that will be due bigger payouts in the near future ) and a 5th round pick?

I realize they got something for him instead of nothing, but why did they have to cut him in the first place?

Bernstein keeps saying that he believes the team has no chance of competing next year

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)

Because they will be paying him $10 million a year to decline on a rebuilding team. Why is that a strategy?

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
Because they will be paying him $10 million a year to decline on a rebuilding team. Why is that a strategy?

Plus: he has the potential to be a big distraction, pollute the culture they're trying to change, and they can give an opportunity to a younger player who may contribute when this team is ready to contend (someday, hopefully).

I get the move.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
Bernstein keeps saying that he believes the team has no chance of competing next year

Hes the worst reporter in sports so who cares what he has to say.

The Bears can sign an FA or draft a WR that would produce the same as Marshall will this year, easily.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)

The Bears can sign an FA or draft a WR that would produce the same as Marshall will this year, easily.

Yep, like Cobb, Maclin or Cooper in the draft. All of these guys I would rather have than Marshall. Its not even about Marshall and his antics, like many have said already its about his declined production and his age that makes this a good move.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)

He's not a reporter, he's a talk show host. And people are kidding themselves if they believe Bernstein doesn't have sources. He used to cover the beat. He knows people. He's a giant asshole but people need to separate that at times.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
He's not a reporter, he's a talk show host. And people are kidding themselves if they believe Bernstein doesn't have sources. He used to cover the beat. He knows people. He's a giant asshole but people need to separate that at times.

He doesnt have s***, his sources abandoned him years ago. He wants to be Jay Marriotti.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
Yep, like Cobb, Maclin or Cooper in the draft. All of these guys I would rather have than Marshall. Its not even about Marshall and his antics, like many have said already its about his production and his age that makes this a good move.

Cooper is certainly great, I would question the use of #7 to acquire him thou.

I'm hoping Phillip Dorsett is there in the 2R and that's our pick. Great route runner in the slot who will stretch defenses.

I'm not ready to give up on Wilson either. Kid doesn't turn 23 until September, and I think there's still plenty of upside there. Ride it out with Jeffery/Dorsett/Wilson next year and if Wilson doesn't step up then you know what to address the following year.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
I'm hoping Phillip Dorsett is there in the 2R and that's our pick. Great route runner in the slot who will stretch defenses.

I'm not ready to give up on Wilson either. Kid doesn't turn 23 until September, and I think there's still plenty of upside there. Ride it out with Jeffery/Dorsett/Wilson next year and if Wilson doesn't step up then you know what to address the following year.

Quarterback.

Naturally a lot of people are making the connection with a Cutler to the Jets scenario and by reading some opinions of Jets fans and Jets writers out there they are praying that it happens.

Gonna get interesting folks.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
Naturally a lot of people are making the connection with a Cutler to the Jets scenario and by reading some opinions of Jets fans and Jets writers out there they are praying that it happens.

Gonna get interesting folks.

Because Jets fans know what Bears fans seem to have forgotten. You can do a whole lot worse at QB than Cutler.