2015-2016 NFL Thread

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 7, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
Wouldn't the cap implications of cutting Cutler be too significant for it to make sense to do so?

It would be significant for this year, but I think cutting him before Tuesday opens things up for the future. If the FO doesn't think they can win this season, it could make since to just punt Cutler.

They are not cutting Cutler. If someone is going to offer them a couple draft picks he will be gone for sure. But to cut him and have nothing to show for it including a QB I don't see that happening.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 7, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
They are not cutting Cutler. If someone is going to offer them a couple draft picks he will be gone for sure. But to cut him and have nothing to show for it including a QB I don't see that happening.

I do tend to agree with this though.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 7, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
Wouldn't the cap implications of cutting Cutler be too significant for it to make sense to do so?

If they don't cut him now, than you are taking cap hits on him next year. With the amount of cap space they can get and the fact that they are cleaning house, I think it is better to get everything in order in 1 year vs. pushing the problem down the road and my presumption is Bears believe that to be the case. They can save real money by cutting him now and even the cap impacts might be muted depending on what contract he signs.

Ultimately I think someone will trade for him though. I'd be very surprised if he is on the roster by the 12th. I think by that point, if he hasn't been traded, he'll be cut.

Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 12m12 minutes ago

From what I've been told, I would be highly surprised if the #Bears don't sign 1 of the top 5 FA safeties. D. Searcy is name I've heard most

Ty Youngfelt ‏@TyYoungfelt 24m24 minutes ago

Quantity over Quality may be game plan for Pace...keep hearing 2nd/3rd tier FAs attached to Bears...

James Fox ‏@JamesFox917 3m3 minutes ago Lockport, IL

Something like: Searcy (S), Cox (CB), Foster (ILB), and Reed (OLB) is doable for #Bears in free agency.

QUOTE (Greyone @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
Real smart move by him, probably could have gotten more elsewhere, stayed with a sure thing, very rare these days.

Thought I saw Oakland offering $12 a year. Good decision to stay with Rodgers. Look what happened to Jennings.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 11:45 AM)
If Marcus Mariota fell to the Bears would you want them to take him?

I'm starting to think that might happen. That would be a tough call.

In a heartbeat.

It has nothing to do with whether I think he'll turn out to be a good NFL player. Enough people think he can be, and you don't pass up a shot to take what could be a franchise QB. The Bears need another QB soon, if not now. Even if people think he'll be a dud, he's a lot more likely to succeed than any quarterback the Bears can get in the second round or later.

EDIT: Only way I'd be ok with not taking Mariota if he's there is if someone else offers good picks to trade up and get him. But just taking someone else at 8 if Mariota is on the board? Absolutely not.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
I have no hate for conte. For his sake I wish he'd retire.

Hate is probably too strong of a word, but I don't remember a player that bad getting so much playing time.

Agreed that he needs to retire just for his own health.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 4m4 minutes ago

Ndamukong Suh will sign with #Dolphins on Tuesday based off parameters around $114 million and $60 million guaranteed, per sources.

I can't recall another season where the top FA was known to be signed before the FA period even started. Did the NFL change their negotiation/Tampering rules in the last CBA?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
I can't recall another season where the top FA was known to be signed before the FA period even started. Did the NFL change their negotiation/Tampering rules in the last CBA?

They can't "officially" sign, but starting yesterday at 12pm eastern, teams have a 72 hours negotiating window with players.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
In a heartbeat.

It has nothing to do with whether I think he'll turn out to be a good NFL player. Enough people think he can be, and you don't pass up a shot to take what could be a franchise QB. The Bears need another QB soon, if not now. Even if people think he'll be a dud, he's a lot more likely to succeed than any quarterback the Bears can get in the second round or later.

EDIT: Only way I'd be ok with not taking Mariota if he's there is if someone else offers good picks to trade up and get him. But just taking someone else at 8 if Mariota is on the board? Absolutely not.

If it's about BPA like Pace says and it's between Mariota and Cooper, I'd take Cooper. If I really want a QB, I'd take the guy out of Baylor in a later round. And I'm a guy who thinks the Bears shouuld've done everything to get rid of Cutler.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 4m4 minutes ago

Ndamukong Suh will sign with #Dolphins on Tuesday based off parameters around $114 million and $60 million guaranteed, per sources.

I am very excite!