2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
Adam Schefter reported back in December that because of the 25 million in guaranteed money, the Bears might have to package one of their higher round draft picks to be able trade him.

That was three months ago and things may have changed, but it shows the the those guaranteed dollars weigh on a team.

And right when that was reported I said it was a garbage report. I also think that will be proven correct when Cutler is ultimately moved.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
The reason to trade Cutler is to save money and to get rid of the possible negativity he brings to the team.

Whether its true or not, that would be why you move Cutler. Because of that, its hard to believe that the Bears are going to get an amazing return for him.

Absolutely. I'd take just about anything to get rid of him so we can move on. He's not winning us a Super Bowl, and to me, that's the only objective here. So might as well cut our losses and start over at the position.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
I highly doubt we will get more than a 5th rounder. You can honestly name 15-20 QB's who are better than Cutler, and most of them make less than him.

The problem is there are no good FA QB's left out there and the draft is pretty awful at QB outside the top 2. The negotiating tactic is sink or swim this year. Maybe not worth a 1st, but hold out and get better than a 5th.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

@PaulKuharskyNFL

With apologies to those certain of something else, the #Titans are not trading for Jay Cutler.

ESPN 1000 ‏@ESPN1000 29m29 minutes ago

According to @ESPNChiBears on @WaddleandSilvy, Jay Cutler was in the building last week working with Adam Gase and the new playbook.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
@PaulKuharskyNFL

With apologies to those certain of something else, the #Titans are not trading for Jay Cutler.

According to @ESPNChiBears on @WaddleandSilvy, Jay Cutler was in the building last week working with Adam Gase and the new playbook.

At least he's trying… LOL

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
@PaulKuharskyNFL

Honestly, it seems like the most likely thing to happen. Who wants that mess?

Titans won 2 games last year. What does Cutler get them to? 4 or 5 wins. Is that worth 20 plus million and some decent draft picks.

If you are going to give up decent draft picks, why not trade for Nick Foles. He's at least young and could maybe get better. Plus he's cheap.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
Ugh, this argument. I know you're a solid poster but this argument is the worst. Seems like just yesterday we were hearing about how Alexei wasn't going to be the shortstop for the next White Sox playoff team. Obviously the Bears have a very, very slim chance of going to the playoffs in '15-'16 but this is the NFL. Roster turnovers are too significant and there isn't one formula to win.

The more I look into this, the less likely I find it to be that Cutler is going to get moved this offseason.

I agree with you that there isn't just one formula to winning, but Cutler is a negative variable to any formula. We've made some many adjustments to make the Cutler formula work, HC, OC, QBC, O Line, WR, mayors... Cutler is still the same Cutler. Any chance you can get rid of him now to clear cap space and rebuild for the future, I think you need to jump on it.

And you can't compare the importance of an SS in baseball to QB in football and Alexei certainly doesn't take up cap space like Cutler does. Cutler puts a constraint on the roster both with his play and his salary cap. I think we've seen enough of Cutler to realize that he doesn't play well in big games or play well in pressurized moments. You could with two hands the number of 4th quarter comebacks Cutler has led in a Bears uniform.

Another stat for you, Bears under Cutler had TWO (2!) TD's inside the two minute warning all of last season. The two worst teams in the league had 4 and 6 respectively. For the record, even Jimmy Clausen led a 2 minute warning TD in the only game he started. I would also like to think the rise and demise of Josh McCown also speaks to the position we put QB's in to succeed.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
Titans won 2 games last year. What does Cutler get them to? 4 or 5 wins. Is that worth 20 plus million and some decent draft picks.

If you are going to give up decent draft picks, why not trade for Nick Foles. He's at least young and could maybe get better. Plus he's cheap.

Exactly. Cutler isn't even worth 20 mil in the open market, why would anyone want to give up high round picks for him? Unless we absorb another contract from them I guess. Rumors are just rumors.

All of the good teams have a QB in place, and the rebuilding teams aren't looking to Cutler as the solution, especially with his salary. If Ryan Pace manages to find a taker for Cutler without taking back a big contract, I'll wash his car for a week.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 07:51 PM)
I wasn't trying to compare Alexei-Cutler but rather expose the flawed argument that you move someone for the sake of "they won't be on the next playoff team." People said that about Alexei but I think it's pretty likely he will now be on the next playoff team.

If you successfully move Cutler for a minimal return, what is the alternative at QB? Is there someone who is going to be able to win the big game or succeed in the big moments? I don't see anyone out there. I like Brett Hundley but the Bears aren't really in a position to draft him unless they trade down. I wouldn't mind getting rid Cutler's contract but it's not all that likely and if they were to dump him, they're not going to be in a better position at QB. Cutler at least has the skill set and natural ability to be a Super Bowl QB despite what he's shown so far. With no one else offering more potential you might as well hope he gets some tact and learns how to stop turning the ball over while rebuilding.

You misinterpreted my comment. In Alexei's situation, people have made that comment because his contract will expire when Sox are ready to compete. In Cutler's situation, I am saying I don't think Cutler is good enough to lead us to a another playoff berth, not with Rodgers and Stafford in their prime, and for reasons I mentioned earlier on his inability to perform in pressure.

What's the alternative for Cutler? A rookie QB, a free agent QB, hell, even give me Jimmy Clausen and $18 million where I can spend on 2-3 key defensive players. With Cutler absorbing that much cap space, it's hard to find an identity for this team. Are they an offensive minded team? Last year proved not to be the case. Are they a good defensive team that relies on the run? Could be, but it's hard to rebuild a defense when you have that much money tied up on a below league average QB.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
You misinterpreted my comment. In Alexei's situation, people have made that comment because his contract will expire when Sox are ready to compete. In Cutler's situation, I am saying I don't think Cutler is good enough to lead us to a another playoff berth, not with Rodgers and Stafford in their prime, and for reasons I mentioned earlier on his inability to perform in pressure.

What's the alternative for Cutler? A rookie QB, a free agent QB, hell, even give me Jimmy Clausen and $18 million where I can spend on 2-3 key defensive players. With Cutler absorbing that much cap space, it's hard to find an identity for this team. Are they an offensive minded team? Last year proved not to be the case. Are they a good defensive team that relies on the run? Could be, but it's hard to rebuild a defense when you have that much money tied up on a below league average QB.

Q back: if the Bears hold onto Cutler this year, what's the cap hit like to remove him next year?

They tied up so much guaranteed money the first couple years that even if they trade him it's hard to see them getting lots of savings this year IIRC. They certainly don't recoup the full $18 million in cap space, if they trade him I think it's like $10 million in dead space or so?

You can do some things with $8 million in cap during a lost season, you could front load a deal to a veteran, but things can't even be as bright as you'd want there - you don't get $18 mil in cap space back even with a trade.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 09:08 PM)

That team is automatically worse than if you keep Cutler on his current contract. As bad as everyone thinks Cutler can be, you can do so much worse in the QB department.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
That team is automatically worse than if you keep Cutler on his current contract. As bad as everyone thinks Cutler can be, you can do so much worse in the QB department.

One thing I do get...if you're looking to get a replacement QB, "doing so much worse" may not be the worst route.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 08:14 AM)
One thing I do get...if you're looking to get a replacement QB, "doing so much worse" may not be the worst route.

Sure, but if you are gonna "do so much worse", I'd rather it be a guy who has even a 0.0001% chance of becoming a franchise QB, that's not Jimmy Clausen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 07:38 AM)
Q back: if the Bears hold onto Cutler this year, what's the cap hit like to remove him next year?

They tied up so much guaranteed money the first couple years that even if they trade him it's hard to see them getting lots of savings this year IIRC. They certainly don't recoup the full $18 million in cap space, if they trade him I think it's like $10 million in dead space or so?

You can do some things with $8 million in cap during a lost season, you could front load a deal to a veteran, but things can't even be as bright as you'd want there - you don't get $18 mil in cap space back even with a trade.

This was posted by scs earlier. We should get back most of the $18 mil, and I'd rather see us spend that money on defense than Cutler. But it's water under the bridge now, as it doesn't look like anyone would want to touch that mess.

2sRpLg0.png

Trading...

7FFlgDD.png

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 08:04 AM)

Doing worse than what? 5-11? With the way backup QB's have performed for us the past couple of years, I think your point is highly debatable.

The Bears are only 1 season removed from being 2nd in the NFL in points scored with Cutler at QB. Cutler could never live up to his contract. His dopey looks at press conferences and during games does him no good, but this isn't like Moses Moreno is lining up behind center.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
The Bears are only 1 season removed from being 2nd in the NFL in points scored with Cutler at QB. Cutler could never live up to his contract. His dopey looks at press conferences and during games does him no good, but this isn't like Moses Moreno is lining up behind center.

QFT