2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
If you are around .500 after 10 or 12 games, you are in contention. I don't think they will make the playoffs, but you never know. Filling these holes with the free agents and drafting a stud who could be a stud quickly could make the defense at least average. And the offense still has some talent at the skill positions. I don't think they are as good as the 2014 Cowboys, that OL is beyond amazing, but look where their defense was in 2013,. Admittedly, it would take a lot to go right for them to contend.

You're saying a competent coach can't turn things around in one season?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
You're saying a competent coach can't turn things around in one season?

I only think this is a possibility if it turns out that players like Bostic/Houston/Shea/Fuller were severely underutilized and turn out to be impact players.

I think a competent coach will make the team competitive, but this isn't one of those stacked young teams that just couldn't put it together that sometimes pull away (look at Rams), this is a team that had a bunch of awesome vets hiding the horrid drafting for 10 years. They are all gone, we need time to restock.

As long as i see a team ascending throughout the season I will be satisfied. I in no way expect them to beat GB, if that is the definition of "competing" next year. If everything breaks the right way, i could see them squeaking into a wild card spot because the NFL is funny like that, but I dont expect it.

I think its completely unreasonable to have the expectations that the Bears are playoff contenders next season. They just came out of one of the worst run regimes in recent history. They were historically bad. It is going to take some time to build this thing back up again and its not going to happen in one off season. The coaches the Bears have now are some of the best I believe in the NFL but they arent going to be miracle workers. There is only so much that can be done with a roster that has just begun to be built from the ground up.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
Lovie again dipping into the Ex Bears well, bringing in Henry Melton. Lets all pretend he hasnt finished the last two seasons on the IR

After reading the NFL threads over the past couple of seasons, I can't say I'm excited about Conte. Wright being brought back is a depth move and so is the Melton signing. If he provides anything more than being a rotational lineman then great.

With the speed at which you can turn around an NFL franchise, a 3 win season wouldn't be a bad thing for the Bears. Clear out another year of Jay Cutler, and set up the franchise to get an impact player at the top of the draft who would be cheaper and under control for a long time. It would be better than the hell of 5-6 wins, that is for sure.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
In contention for what?

Barring a Rodgers injury, its hard to imagine the Bears winning the NFC North.

Do you really see a scenario where on the road they beat both the Seahawks and Packers in the playoffs?

The team is being completely overhauled, and while anything is possible, it is my belief that being mediocre next year will only delay the Bears rebuild.

It all depends on injuries, and if the Bears could get their defense to at least be around average. NFL players get hurt more often than Chicago Bulls.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
Its probably better for the Bears to be bad, get a high draft pick and set up for progress in year 2.

Ideally, they will be bad the year before the true franchise QB is available in the draft.

What value in terms of wins would you give just to the change of coaches? If the current staff coached the Bears in 2014, do they win more than 5 games?

If you think they would have been a 7 or 8 win team, then they are really starting from a much higher point than what we have thought.

I have no idea. The defense was worse than the numbers. If GB or NE don't call off the dogs, they at least score 70-80.

Edited by Dick Allen

Jen Lada tweeting that the Bears are closing on a 3 year deal for Foster

RT @JenLada: Hearing the #Bears are close on a 3 yr deal w/ Mason Foster. ILB has been a FA target since beginning. #NFLFreeAgency

Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 19m19 minutes ago

McPhee with a $6.5M cap hit & Rolle with a $5M cap hit, leaves them at around $15.5M after draft class & season expenses. w/o Royal #Bears

Still a good chunk of change to add a guy like Parker, Foster, and still be in the hunt for a DT/CB which I view as the biggest needs.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 10m10 minutes ago

Was told Mason Foster was targeting a deal close to $5M annually. Could see something close to 3 years/$15-16M. #Bears

I like the youth/size/speed of Foster, but can he play? IIRC, he was pretty bad in Tampa last year. It could be the product of being on a bad team, but I dunno. . . Pace is a pro-personnel guy, so I'm sure he watched a ton of tape on him. Hope he's right.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
I like the youth/size/speed of Foster, but can he play? IIRC, he was pretty bad in Tampa last year. It could be the product of being on a bad team, but I dunno. . . Pace is a pro-personnel guy, so I'm sure he watched a ton of tape on him. Hope he's right.

He was playing mike in a 4-3 in tampa, maybe they see he'll be better suited in 3-4. Hopefully.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
He was playing mike in a 4-3 in tampa, maybe they see he'll be better suited in 3-4. Hopefully.

True. Not to mention playing MLB in the Cover-2, where dropping back in coverage is essential and expected. Maybe he'll do better as an ILB in our new 3-4.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)

Usually I prefer to make observations about players from my own eyes, but I never watched Tampa last year so I'll have to lean on what I've read: Mason's down year last year had a lot to do with him not being a good fit at MLB for Lovie's defense. Though he hasn't played in a 34 defense, some think he'll actually be better as a ILB in a 3-4. Again, just what I've heard.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 19m19 minutes ago

McPhee with a $6.5M cap hit & Rolle with a $5M cap hit, leaves them at around $15.5M after draft class & season expenses. w/o Royal #Bears

Still a good chunk of change to add a guy like Parker, Foster, and still be in the hunt for a DT/CB which I view as the biggest needs.

Royals contract was fairly big, and I didn't take it into account(despite it clearly saying w/o Royal).....Looking like 10M left after money needed for the draft. I'm guessing they snag Foster and Parker then the rest will be vet min type depth players. Going into the draft really needing a piece for the line and another CB.

Somethin like Shelton/PJ Williams or Waynes/Carl Davis would be nice in the draft.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Murray to the Eagles. Makes the McCoy trade look a lot better now. Both Murray and Alonso are making less combined than McCoy.

It would all be great, if they didn't increase their QB salary by $10 million without actually upgrading the talent at the position.