2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
Saints are going to be awful next year. What a mess that team has become.

Talk about salary cap hell. I still can't believe they blew a free division title last year by losing 5 straight games in the Superdome after crushing the Packers there. Under Sean Payton they had become almost unbeatable at home.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
And they should have some stability at QB. I don't think Foles is some great QB, but he's better than what they have had in a long time (given that Bradford could never stay on the field).

They better hope they get some help at QB with Foles, they are wasting a talented defense. It does you no good to pull off the "trade of the century" if your QB play keeps you from the playoffs.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
Saw on Twitter that the Rams now have more 1st rounders on their dline than the Bears have on their entire roster.

Cutler, Mclellin, Fuller, Long, Rolle vs. Long, Quinn, Brockers, Fairley and Donald. Looks like they have the same number. Still very depressing.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
Cutler, Mclellin, Fuller, Long, Rolle vs. Long, Quinn, Brockers, Fairley and Donald. Looks like they have the same number. Still very depressing.

Are you trying to tell me that Twitter isn't always 100 percent accurate?!? My bad.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
Are you trying to tell me that Twitter isn't always 100 percent accurate?!? My bad.

No, just thought it was an interesting enough factoid that it was worth looking up. It's pretty damn depressing that the Bears have retained so few draft picks in recent years.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 13, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
Saints are going to be awful next year. What a mess that team has become.

I'm actually not positive that they will be awful. They will run the ball a lot more. They have Ingram, Spiller, and Khiry Robinson. They still have some talent at WR. They do have holes on the OL and in some spots on their defense. They have 5 of the first 78 picks in the draft though. If they draft well, they will compete in the awful NFC South.

Aaron Leming @AaronLemingNFL · 9m 9 minutes ago

Multiple sources confirm #Bears have been working on a deal with LB Mason Foster for days now. Just not sure why they can't seal the deal.

Also, 49ers ILB Chris Borland. Top rookie last year is retiring. Wow. Only 24.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 09:18 PM)
Also, 49ers ILB Chris Borland. Top rookie last year is retiring. Wow. Only 24.

Retiring because of concerns over the long-term effects of head injuries. He has had two concussions, one inn 8th grade playing soccer and one as a high school sophomore playing football. This is the biggest potential roadblock for the NFL, future players not even wanting to play due to long-term injury worries. Then again, given the money involved, someone will always be willing to play.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/124...injury-concerns

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 07:53 AM)
Retiring because of concerns over the long-term effects of head injuries. He has had two concussions, one inn 8th grade playing soccer and one as a high school sophomore playing football. This is the biggest potential roadblock for the NFL, future players not even wanting to play due to long-term injury worries. Then again, given the money involved, someone will always be willing to play.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/124...injury-concerns

It's really going to be interesting to watch this unfold the next decade, because I agree, I think there are kids now that won't play football because of the possibility of head trauma, that would have turned into stars. I think any talk of the NFL's demise is light years away, but if the better athletes go to other sports, they may be able to close the gap a bit. Unless fantasy football is banned, the NFL is always going to be popular.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 08:19 AM)
It's really going to be interesting to watch this unfold the next decade, because I agree, I think there are kids now that won't play football because of the possibility of head trauma, that would have turned into stars. I think any talk of the NFL's demise is light years away, but if the better athletes go to other sports, they may be able to close the gap a bit. Unless fantasy football is banned, the NFL is always going to be popular.

The question is, how diluted can the talent get before people stop enjoying fantasy football and/or gambling? If people still enjoy it even with lower class athletes, then it might not matter as much.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
Under no circumstances will my kids be playing football. They can play flag amongst friends but that is the extent.

I'm obviously not in a position to say the same as I'm not a parent, but I don't see any scenario where my future kids play football.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
Parents are also going to keep their kids from playing.

I live in a town that has a Pop Warner program that perennially goes to national finals, and I am already seeing parents switching their kids to things like basketball. It has happened very quickly over the last couple of years.

These early retirements will probably help the owners to fight lawsuits in the future. They'll be able to argue that the info was available about concussions/injuries, so players played at their own risk.

That would put the burden on the union to negotiate long term health care into future contracts. Of course, that means giving up money in now in return for care later.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
Under no circumstances will my kids be playing football. They can play flag amongst friends but that is the extent.

I personally believe soccer and hockey are more dangerous in regard to concussions at the grammar school/pop warner level.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
I personally believe soccer and hockey are more dangerous in regard to concussions at the grammar school/pop warner level.

I disagree. No other sport practices repeated shots to the head and spine multiple times a week. 6 and 7 year old kids are doing oklahoma drills. Its insanely stupid.

My boy is playing golf first.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
I disagree. No other sport practices repeated shots to the head and spine multiple times a week. 6 and 7 year old kids are doing oklahoma drills. Its insanely stupid.

That's part of the problem. The guys coaching 8 year olds act like the games are on Sunday and a playoff berth is on the line.

My 13 year old nephew has played for a couple of years. I can't believe my sister allows it, but I went to a game last fall. The coaches are jumping up and down on the sidelines, screaming, apparently practices are really intense....it is crazier than I ever saw Little League baseball.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
I'm surprised there would be concussion issues at lower levels of hockey. I don't remember any contact and I played until 12.

Agree. I've played my whole life and don't remember anyone getting any serious-level injuries until 12-13 and older - when kids are allowed to check. Things started to get intense when I got to high school and you had some kids out-weighing others by 50-60 lbs. At that point I don't know what to do other than rely on parents/coaches to make responsible decisions on whether some kids should continue to participate.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)

This is part of the problem. So far the research has shown the concussion issues are no worse in individuals that have played pro football and those who haven't. There are far more issues in people that have been in car accidents than pro football players.

So, it's really difficult to determine if playing football as a child really effects much of anything. Logically, it stands to reason that they have more trauma than someone who doesn't but it's really hard to determine that in later life.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)
This is part of the problem. So far the research has shown the concussion issues are no worse in individuals that have played pro football and those who haven't. There are far more issues in people that have been in car accidents than pro football players.

So, it's really difficult to determine if playing football as a child really effects much of anything. Logically, it stands to reason that they have more trauma than someone who doesn't but it's really hard to determine that in later life.

Did you watch the PBS Frontline episode on concussions? If so what did you think? They sure offered evidence that the instance of CTE in football players was WAY higher than outside of football.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)

The research is pretty limited though isnt it, mostly because a lot of the older guys who probably suffered from CTE didnt have the funds or desire to get checked out.

Either way, why increase the odds of there being any sort of head or spinal injury to your young child by putting them on a team with some wanna be NFL coach making them do Oklahoma drills before their bodies are mature? It's just stupid. I watch the show "Friday Night Tykes" and its sickening. Already on a pool of 5 or so teams they follow there have been at least 2 SERIOUS head injuries.