2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
Shane Ray was dumb for getting caught with some weed yesterday, but if he fell to the Packers, I would run that ticket up to the commissioner.

Because no one in the NFL smokes pot at all

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
Some people are saying he could fall to round 3 or 4 now, too, which I think is ridiculous. If he's there in the 2nd for Kansas City I hope they jump all over him. That is exactly how they got Justin Houston (3rd round) a few years ago

Well it does increase the time it takes to recover from injury.

He will fall a little, probably out of the top 10. I don't think he falls into the 3rd round. Maybe the 2nd round.

I really don't think teams care that he smokes weed, it's that he was dumb enough to get caught with it 3 days before the draft. Same thing with Randy Gregory.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
Because no one in the NFL smokes pot at all

I assume teams look at it as a decision making issue rather than a weed issue.

Politics aside, pot is illegal in most places and the NFL tests for it. So this is the opportunity of a lifetime for players to make millions, and they know they're going to be watched like a hawk and at certain point, tested. It can raise flags that maybe the prospect isn't ready to make decisions and can impact their availability once they're on a team.

Some people are saying he could fall to round 3 or 4 now, too, which I think is ridiculous. If he's there in the 2nd for Kansas City I hope they jump all over him. That is exactly how they got Justin Houston (3rd round) a few years ago

It is also how the Browns got Johnny Manziel.

Justin Houston is a much better play than Ray though. I think Ray was always going in the 2nd round and probably still will. He's just not that good. Stiff, straight line pass rusher that is bad in space. Meh.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
I assume teams look at it as a decision making issue rather than a weed issue.

Politics aside, pot is illegal in most places and the NFL tests for it. So this is the opportunity of a lifetime for players to make millions, and they know they're going to be watched like a hawk and at certain point, tested. It can raise flags that maybe the prospect isn't ready to make decisions and can impact their availability once they're on a team.

If players can't refrain from smoking/driving under the influence/getting in to some kind of legal trouble right before the combine or draft, you gotta question the intelligence, character and drive of the person involved. The physical attributes and skill don't really mean much if he's going to get on the roster, get his money, and then screw around and never become a good player. I wouldn't take him at 7. 2nd or 3rd round maybe.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
If players can't refrain from smoking/driving under the influence/getting in to some kind of legal trouble right before the combine or draft, you gotta question the intelligence, character and drive of the person involved. The physical attributes and skill don't really mean much if he's going to get on the roster, get his money, and then screw around and never become a good player. I wouldn't take him at 7. 2nd or 3rd round maybe.

Taking Shane Ray at #7 without an injury or character concerns would be a terrible decision. He's just not a top ten player.

You would be hard pressed to find many scouting reports or draft experts that didn't have Shane Ray as a top 15 player in the draft before this.

The problem he might have is that there are a lot of pass rushing types like his that teams will probably pick now over him. Bud Dupree, Vic Beasley, Eli Harold.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
Taking Shane Ray at #7 without an injury or character concerns would be a terrible decision. He's just not a top ten player.

You may wind up being right but you sound as though you are 100% sure of this. How the hell does anyone really know who is going to be great and who is not? Its a crap shoot. Everyone thought the Bears reached for Kyle Long and he became one of the better OL in the league.

NFL will give up its tax-exempt status

The NFL has often faced scrutiny over its status as a tax-exempt organization. Now the league is deciding to give up that status.

According to Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal, the NFL will change its status to taxable from tax-exempt. The federal government has granted tax-exempt 501©(6) status to the NFL since 1966.

That may reduce the criticism the league takes for being a tax-exempt organization, but more important to the league, it removes the requirement that the NFL disclose the compensation of Commissioner Roger Goodell and other top executives. So Goodell’s salary will no longer be public record.

Although the league has been classified as a tax-exempt organization, the 32 teams are all taxable, for-profit businesses, which means the money made by the league is taxed. This move will not affect the tax burden faced by the teams.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 11:41 AM)
You may wind up being right but you sound as though you are 100% sure of this. How the hell does anyone really know who is going to be great and who is not? Its a crap shoot. Everyone thought the Bears reached for Kyle Long and he became one of the better OL in the league.

Well because it's a hobby of mine and I scout players. That's how I feel. Many people that aren't in the "big draft" portion of the national media don't like Ray all that much either. I don't think he's a bad player. Just not a top of the 1st round guy. Now he definitely won't be.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
Well because it's a hobby of mine and I scout players. That's how I feel. Many people that aren't in the "big draft" portion of the national media don't like Ray all that much either. I don't think he's a bad player. Just not a top of the 1st round guy. Now he definitely won't be.

Talent aside, if Ray is already in the drug program, then he's 1 failed test away from 4 games and 2 failed tests away from a season long suspension (I think that's the new policy at least). Even if Ray is worthy of a first round selection, there is a chance he might make himself unavailable at some point because of this habit.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
Justin Houston is a much better play than Ray though. I think Ray was always going in the 2nd round and probably still will. He's just not that good. Stiff, straight line pass rusher that is bad in space. Meh.

Have you watched game tape of Ray? Or do you just not know how leverage works? It doesn't matter if he can't play in space, he has a far more valuable skill in his ability to defeat the opposing team's best pass blocker and get to the QB.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
Have you watched game tape of Ray? Or do you just not know how leverage works? It doesn't matter if he can't play in space, he has a far more valuable skill in his ability to defeat the opposing team's best pass blocker and get to the QB.

Valid points. I think he's either a 4-3 DE or a SLB that kicks down to end on passing downs. I hate his fit as a 34 OLB but I think some teams would play him there. And yes, I've watched game tape of Shane Ray.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
Well now I want the proof behind this statement.

It has to do with the thc and it's ability to decrease the inflammatory process. It used medicinally for conditions like glaucoma where there is chronic inflammation. This is why it is legal to use for certain conditions of chronic inflammation in many states.

However, this has a detrimental effect for sports injuries where the inflammatory process of a sprained ankle or rotator cuff tendonitis is essential for healing. With it's ability to decrease inflamation it increases the healing time. No ones really sure how long due to the amount used varies but it does increase it.

It probably isn't real significant in people this age as the circulation is still at it's best. I just threw that out there as a sarcastic comment as to why the draft position would drop.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
It has to do with the thc and it's ability to decrease the inflammatory process. It used medicinally for conditions like glaucoma where there is chronic inflammation. This is why it is legal to use for certain conditions of chronic inflammation in many states.

However, this has a detrimental effect for sports injuries where the inflammatory process of a sprained ankle or rotator cuff tendonitis is essential for healing. With it's ability to decrease inflamation it increases the healing time. No ones really sure how long due to the amount used varies but it does increase it.

It probably isn't real significant in people this age as the circulation is still at it's best. I just threw that out there as a sarcastic comment as to why the draft position would drop.

Hmm interesting, I always thought reduction in inflammation was good for injury recovery.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
Have you guys heard the rumors of Bears swapping picks with the Rams and picking up DT Michael Brockers as well?

Benjamin Allbright on twitter brought up that rumor. He's a talk show host from the Denver area and usually has pretty good sources. He doesn't generally speculate and has broken Rams stories in the past. It's interesting. Rams target would supposedly be Kevin White.