2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2015 -> 08:32 AM)
He was on Polian's do not draft list. He mentioned he had off the field issues, and then quietly said that's not all.

Yes, he implied that he may not be able to "understand" NFL defenses.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I felt like doing literally anything else besides working this morning, for every superbowl winner and loser over the last 10 years I looked up the first draft pick the five years prior to their superbowl appearance. E.g. 2015 was Seattle vs New England and I looked at their draft picks 2014-2010.

Not all of these were first rounders. Some years teams had multiple picks so I included all of those within the same round.

Overall, there were 108 picks.

52 Offensive, 56 Defensive

Offense:

18 O-Line picks

3 Centers

3 Guards

12 Tackles

11 WR

11 RB

8 QB

4 TE

Defense:

23 D-Line picks

9 DE

14 DT

23 Secondary Picks

7 Safeties

16 CB's

10 LB

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker

That's a great site to see who's still available.

Landon Collins

Eli Harold

Jalen Collins

Eddie Goldman

Eric Rowe

Eric Kendricks

Jake Fischer

Randy Gregory

Owamagbe Odighuzuwa

Paul Dawson

Denzel Perryman

Bernardick McKinney

Names I would definitely target at 39. Bears should at least get 1 more starter tonight. Would not be surprised if they landed another 2 starters tonight either.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 1, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)
Because I felt like doing literally anything else besides working this morning, for every superbowl winner and loser over the last 10 years I looked up the first draft pick the five years prior to their superbowl appearance. E.g. 2015 was Seattle vs New England and I looked at their draft picks 2014-2010.

Not all of these were first rounders. Some years teams had multiple picks so I included all of those within the same round.

Overall, there were 108 picks.

52 Offensive, 56 Defensive

Offense:

18 O-Line picks

3 Centers

3 Guards

12 Tackles

11 WR

11 RB

8 QB

4 TE

Defense:

23 D-Line picks

9 DE

14 DT

23 Secondary Picks

7 Safeties

16 CB's

10 LB

Interesting. Per position it's pretty balanced outside of guards and centers.

There's some double-counting there as well because laziness, e.g. Seattle from the 2015 superbowl's picks from 2014-2010 are all counted, Seattle from the 2014 superbowl's picks from 2013-2009 are all counted as well. Because I still don't feel like working, let me split those out.

taking out the doubling up

Overall, there were 94 picks.

43 Offensive, 51 Defensive

Offense:

15 O-Line picks

3 Centers

3 Guards

9 Tackles

10 WR

8 RB

7 QB

3 TE

Defense:

22 D-Line picks

8 DE

14 DT

21 Secondary Picks

7 Safeties

14 CB's

8 LB

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 1, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
I wonder if La'el Collins gets drafted. NFL rejected his request to withdraw

I think if a team can know 100% that he didn't kill someone. I think he gets drafted.

I'm not sure if teams will know in time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 1, 2015 -> 06:05 AM)
Only three of those teams actually drafted those guys, and Meachem was a bust.

Most of those WR wound up being released or traded for pennies on the dollar.

5 of those teams actually drafted those guys and 2 traded 1st round picks to get a WR (which is the same as using your 1st round pick on a WR). You're grasping...

And the point remains the same regardless of how good the WRs actually were. You said teams that win the Super Bowl don't use 1st round picks on WRs. Well, it turns out that they do.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 1, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
Serious question for today, does Martellus Bennett get traded today?

If so, I think the Bears can net a 3rd for this year and a 5th for next year.

I saw something where the guys said maybe a 4th, probably a 5th. Fox said he wouldn't get traded. Who knows. I do think he will cause some trouble eventually.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 1, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
5 of those teams actually drafted those guys and 2 traded 1st round picks to get a WR (which is the same as using your 1st round pick on a WR). You're grasping...

And the point remains the same regardless of how good the WRs actually were. You said teams that win the Super Bowl don't use 1st round picks on WRs. Well, it turns out that they do.

To be fair to Steve I believe the implication was "top 10" first round draft picks on WRs.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 1, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)
To be fair to Steve I believe the implication was "top 10" first round draft picks on WRs.

There are a lot of teams that didn't win the Super Bowl that drafted lineman in the top 10 as well. The fact that you are choosing in the top 10 usually means the Super Bowl, and winning it, which is another of his criteria, is probably many years away.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 1, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker

That's a great site to see who's still available.

Landon Collins

Eli Harold

Jalen Collins

Eddie Goldman

Eric Rowe

Eric Kendricks

Jake Fischer

Randy Gregory

Owamagbe Odighuzuwa

Paul Dawson

Denzel Perryman

Bernardick McKinney

Names I would definitely target at 39. Bears should at least get 1 more starter tonight. Would not be surprised if they landed another 2 starters tonight either.

Give me Goldman, Kendricks, Collins, or Fisher (or Jordan Phillips).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 1, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
I wonder if La'el Collins gets drafted. NFL rejected his request to withdraw

I dont know how the hell anyone would take a chance on having that guy on their team. Even as an undrafted free agent until he is completely exonerated from that awful situation.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
Which Collins do you like?

Landon I guess , but I have my preferred picks in order. Not a big fan of his and I am comfortable with Rolle/Mundy for this year but hes an obvious BPA pick and could be the starting SS for years to come.

Might even prefer Fisher to Collins but it was a toss up.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:11 AM)
I really hope Paul Dawson falls to the Packers.

I hope there is a run on OT and WR or something.

What are your thoughts on Randle in the first? To me that was the biggest head scratcher of round 1. Most places saw him as a 3R pick.

Wasnt HHCD and Burnett a pretty good duo for you guys too?

Edited by scs787

One thing I always think about when you think about BPA is scarcity.

You can have the BPA, full stop. Player X will produce this much value, which is more than any other individual player.

Or you can have the BPA, considering positional scarcity. So maybe you think Mariota isn't going to be a star, but will be a solid-average QB. You think Leonard Williams will be a star. However, you think there are lots of DL available that will be successful, but maybe only a handful of QBs. Is Mariota the best player available, then?

Both scenarios don't factor in the team's needs, just simple facts about which positions have deeper talent pools.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald - 0 super bowl titles. You have to build inside out. I hate the pick.

But don't worry, guy will go for 1,400 and 10 TD regularly, and the Bears will miss the playoffs regularly, too.

Look at the teams winning Super Bowls. They don't invest in WR in the draft. I think the highest picked WR to win a super bowl the last decade Is Hakeem Nicks at 29.

Valid points, however, I think we got ourselves a good player and that is critical. To me, the critical positions in the league are the lines and QB and it is where you should invest the bulk.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
What are your thoughts on Randle in the first? To me that was the biggest head scratcher of round 1. Most places saw him as a 3R pick.

I like it. I like the comparisons to Tyrann Mathieu and Devin McCourty. Someone who can play slot corner / free safety.

I like that Matt Bowen really likes him. I trust his judgement on DB.

Everything I read had him going in the late first or early second.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 1, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)

The bears would have drafted Leonard williams if there, but just because your DE goes does not mean you still draft your next DE.

We saw how that works out, his name was Michael Haynes.

Get dynamic talent, the rest works itself out.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 1, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)
I like it. I like the comparisons to Tyrann Mathieu and Devin McCourty. Someone who can play slot corner / free safety.

I like that Matt Bowen really likes him. I trust his judgement on DB.

Everything I read had him going in the late first or early second.

My view is, publications are publications. When push comes to shove you see what teams and front offices really think. I've said for a long time Collins didn't belong in the 1st round (he just had too many flaws and wasn't worthy of going that early)...now he is dropping to a spot where he actually makes sense. If Bears could get him or Gregory, I would be exstatic.