2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
With all Fox and Pace have said about character I'd be a little surprised if they took Gregory.

I for one would like to wait a bit on OLB. Bears have McPhee as a lock starter there. Then you have Allen, Young, Bass, Jones, SMC, and apparently Houston all getting looks at the other spot. Add in a mid round draft pick to the mix and I think one of those guys can be the starter.

The more I think about it, I want one of the OTs. I think right now Mills is the weak link on this team, and Fisher/Donovan Smith/Clemmings all match up as BPA meeting a need.

What are the character issues? I thought the biggest concern were whether he could handle the rigors of football. I know all of the reports have been "vague" outside of his pot issue, however, I don't know that it takes the extreme of character concerns. Did he have off the field issues involving violence, etc?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 1, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
With all Fox and Pace have said about character I'd be a little surprised if they took Gregory.

The more I think about it, I want one of the OTs. I think right now Mills is the weak link on this team, and Fisher/Donovan Smith/Clemmings all match up as BPA meeting a need.

I agree with you about the OTs, but I don't think any of those guys make it to 39, especially Fisher and Clemmings.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
I agree with you about the OTs, but I don't think any of those guys make it to 39, especially Fisher and Clemmings.

In full agreement but I see very few scenarios with Fisher falling to 39. Think it is more likely (although I would bank on it) that one of Landon / Gregory falls to 39.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 1, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
What are the character issues? I thought the biggest concern were whether he could handle the rigors of football. I know all of the reports have been "vague" outside of his pot issue, however, I don't know that it takes the extreme of character concerns. Did he have off the field issues involving violence, etc?

The word is ADHD, which affects his decision making. The question is whether he can handle being a pro, and not being within a college system that can manage him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 1, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)

Perhaps it shouldn't be lumped into character concerns, but from what I gathered he has some mental problems.

Judging solely on how they looked on the field in college, I would easily rate Green - Beckham number 1 WR in the draft. I would have waited on drafting a wr to grab him if he checks out, and would still grab him later on in the draft after using a number 1 on a wr.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 1, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
Judging solely on how they looked on the field in college, I would easily rate Green - Beckham number 1 WR in the draft. I would have waited on drafting a wr to grab him if he checks out, and would still grab him later on in the draft after using a number 1 on a wr.

The problem again being he's a headcase. How bad would it have looked to trade B for being a headcase of sorts only to replace him with DGB?

QUOTE (Jake @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
One thing I always think about when you think about BPA is scarcity.

You can have the BPA, full stop. Player X will produce this much value, which is more than any other individual player.

Or you can have the BPA, considering positional scarcity. So maybe you think Mariota isn't going to be a star, but will be a solid-average QB. You think Leonard Williams will be a star. However, you think there are lots of DL available that will be successful, but maybe only a handful of QBs. Is Mariota the best player available, then?

Both scenarios don't factor in the team's needs, just simple facts about which positions have deeper talent pools.

Joe Gibbs and Bill Parcells always talked about the number of Pro Bowl players. I believe the number they used was six. If you have 6 Pro bowl players, they could fill in the rest and have a shot at the Super Bowl.

In other words you needed 6 impact players to really have a shot. It's more to have the impact players than the well rounded "bunch of good players."

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 1, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)

No way can you possibly trust him to stay on the field and I don't see how you could easily rate Beckham #1 out of the WRs in this draft even based on his play on the field. He isn't particularly fluid running routes and his SPARQ rating his the lowest of the top WRs. He was also far less productive than guys like Parker and Cooper.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 1, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
The problem again being he's a headcase. How bad would it have looked to trade B for being a headcase of sorts only to replace him with DGB?

I don't really follow the Bears too much I just meant it generally

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 1, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
No way can you possibly trust him to stay on the field and I don't see how you could easily rate Beckham #1 out of the WRs in this draft even based on his play on the field. He isn't particularly fluid running routes and his SPARQ rating his the lowest of the top WRs. He was also far less productive than guys like Parker and Cooper.

He wasn't nearly as productive, true , many a reasons for that. Just saying he looked the part more when he was effortlessly dismantling secondaries with his size. Its just easier imagining that translating to the NFL easier than guys who are half a foot short under him. He's almost built like a TE lining up at WR, which is the new hotness. I don't think his SPARQ score means anything at all comparing it to the other guys when most of the other top WRs this year seem to be undersized to average size at best.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Guys who are nothing but headaches in college, usually don't get any better in that regard when they have a couple of million to play with.

Yeah that's why I would still wait until the second round but if that does clear up I expect him to be the best WR here.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 1, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
They can medicate ADHD. However, the medication, I imagine, tends to not work quite so well if you mix it with mass quantities of THC.

I haven't seen anything on it. However, mixing two physiologic depressive drugs does not sound like a good idea.

DGB only really had 2 dominant games, but even in his great soph year, I'm not sure a bipartial watcher would say he was the best receiver on his team (not talking about draft prospects).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 1, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
The word is ADHD, which affects his decision making. The question is whether he can handle being a pro, and not being within a college system that can manage him.

What's interesting is I'm reading that ADHD should actually help athletes.

www.forbes.com/sites/dalearcher/2014/07/16/how-adhd-puts-athletes-in-the-zone

EDIT... Though reading further it appears that, while they may excel from an on the field aspect, learning the defense and game planning could be a problem

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 1, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
What's interesting is I'm reading that ADHD should actually help athletes.

www.forbes.com/sites/dalearcher/2014/07/16/how-adhd-puts-athletes-in-the-zone

Maybe within their sports, but giving a guy millions of dollars and dropping him into the real world is what is giving these teams pause.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 1, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
DGB only really had 2 dominant games, but even in his great soph year, I'm not sure a bipartial watcher would say he was the best receiver on his team (not talking about draft prospects).

Loved DGB when he was here at Mizzou, well until his legal trouble (the trouble not related to weed).

As an impartial NFL GM, I'd take him every time for my team. He'll be a great wideout if he isn't a headcase.