2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 18, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
I'd be angry but the job he's done with this no talent squad is damn good.

If he turns out to be a coach who can't get a great team over the hump because of shortcomings like conservative playcalling...you really can't be mad at him because he'll have taken this team from being a dumpster fire to being a great team needing to get over the hump.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 18, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)
It was really our own playcalling in OT that did us in. Too conservative

The worst was the playcalling after the Lions kicked the field goal. Then he doesn't call timeout when they got down by the end zone. Could have had a chance to win the game in regulation had he called timeout there.

Just complete mismanagement of the clock, combined with some rotten calls by the refs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
I can't stop laughing at this play.

Has there been any explanation from Pagano on what was supposed to happen?

I'm guessing the ball was never suppose to be snapped and they were taking the delay of game of Pats didn't jump offsides, then punt.

End of regulation of the Bears game exposed what I believe is an exploitable situation that deserves at least discussion for a possible rule change.

Losing team is down 3 points with 10-15 seconds remaining and offense already in at least marginal FG range. Offense throws a deep pass that, if caught, could result in a winning/tying TD. Unless the defense is 100% certain that the pass will not be caught, they benefit by intentionally committing pass interference. Yes it's a spot foul, but now with less than 7 seconds remaining, the offense will always elect to kick the tying FG. The defense should intentionally commit a penalty to trade yards for seconds.

I'm not saying that Detroit was actually thinking at this level, but it makes perfect sense. I don't know if there could be a rule that, in the last two minutes of a game, the team accepting the penalty can have the option of having the clock revert back to the beginning of the previous play.

Even if the WR catches the ball and there is no PI. There is only going to be 7-10 seconds left.

So catching the ball and PI result in the same play with the same amount of time left.

Actually the PI is probably better for the offense because it stops the clock. If a WR were to catch a ball and not get out of bounds it could end the game or force a team to use one of it's last timeouts.

Edited by GoSox05

Even if the WR catches the ball and there is no PI. There is only going to be 7-10 seconds left.

So catching the ball and PI result in the same play with the same amount of time left.

Maybe not in this particular situation, but catching the ball could result in going the rest of the way for a TD.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
Maybe not in this particular situation, but catching the ball could result in going the rest of the way for a TD.

That would make the officials assume that the WR was going to score if he caught the ball. There is no way of knowing that was going to happen.

That would make the officials assume that the WR was going to score if he caught the ball. There is no way of knowing that was going to happen.

I'm not suggesting that the officials should make a judgment call. Clearly pass interference penalties do negate likely touchdowns. Instead of having the officials decide whether or not that's the case, just have a blanket rule that any accepted penalty in the last 2 minutes could include a clock rewind if the accepting team so chooses.

Really good piece from Bleacher report by the Bronco's GM who drafted Cutler. Very interesting when you read about what Mcdaniels did and why Cutler wanted out (justifiably).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2580349...ened-from-there

Shortly after Josh McDaniels moved into his office at Dove Valley, he called in Cutler and his agent, Bus Cook, for a closed-door meeting. The story goes that McDaniels began with a 20-minute dissertation of his resume, how he'd worked his way up the ranks in New England to become Bill Belichick's right-hand man with the offense and how the team would have been nowhere the year before without his tutelage of backup Matt Cassel. He continued on with justification of his hiring by Bowlen.

After the perplexing recitation of accomplishments, McDaniels suddenly shifted gears.

He began to bash and berate Cutler and his game to the tune of a verbal flogging neither had ever witnessed. The expletive-laden diatribe went on for a few minutes, after which Cook stood up and told Cutler they were leaving. As they walked down the long hallway past Bowlen's office, Cutler turned to Bus and said, "Get me out of here. I don't care how you do it."