2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 10:16 AM)
See I do because I don't think he's ever going to be an NFL starter. You need to get starters in round 3. Go look. QB's that were 24 at or around draft day. The next successful one will be the first.

Especially the Bears. They have such little margin for error to build this team quickly. Would help to get more picks this draft.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 10:20 AM)
I guess some of those deals could still fall through, a la Frank Gore to the Eagles.

Any of the Raiders deals I''d look at whether they stand.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 10:16 AM)
See I do because I don't think he's ever going to be an NFL starter. You need to get starters in round 3. Go look. QB's that were 24 at or around draft day. The next successful one will be the first.

Yeah, but if you are drafting Petty then you probably don't have a QB as it is and are gonna get fired either way. Might as well take a chance. Why do you think guys like Ponder or Bortles get drafted in the 1st round?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
Yeah, but if you are drafting Petty then you probably don't have a QB as it is and are gonna get fired either way. Might as well take a chance. Why do you think guys like Ponder or Bortles get drafted in the 1st round?

Because NFL teams very often make really bad decisions.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
Should have a decent system in place in 2015. The fact is, if the system is nice, the Bears offense can be pretty good with Cutler at QB even making his typical mistakes. The kissing up to Cutler is over. I can't stand the guy, but I'm am positive the Bears can win games with him at QB. They have before. He is paid way too much without a doubt, but the "he can't win a Super Bowl" crap is crap. No QB could have brought the 2014 Bears to the playoffs.

It was only a few years ago Cutler got hurt and people were upset he wouldn't return into the game. Now he sucks, he always has sucked, he always will suck. He isn't the elite guy most thought the Bears acquired when they traded for him, but he is middle of the pack. Ideally you would like your QB to be a leader, which he is not. That does hurt him, but he is still the best QB the Bears have ever had. I guess that is sad.

You have to remember those good Bears team Cutler has "lead" had an elite defense. They won only 8 games 2 years ago with an elite offense but a s***ty defense, and that offense is long exposed and is now gone. With the aging players on defense and the money that we have tied up on offense, and it's hard to build up a defense that is good enough to bring us to the playoffs knowing that Cutler's mistakes will always cost us games.

If we moved Cutler, it would give us more flexibility to rebuild the defense. Pair even an average or below average QB with a great defense is a recipe for playoffs, we've proven that with Rex and Jay. If we could have moved Cutler, sign a couple of impact player at the LB and secondary positions, I am happy even if we roll with free agents like Colt McCoy, Jake Locker, draft a QB in the mid rounds, and let them battle it out for for the starting job. That's just my personal preference.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
Because NFL teams very often make really bad decisions.

That is true, but when you need a QB to win, and there are maybe 20 individuals in the whole world able to play QB at a positive level, sometimes you have to take a chance that may likely not work out. Or you can sign Josh McCown?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
You have to remember those good Bears team Cutler has "lead" had an elite defense. They won only 8 games 2 years ago with an elite offense but a s***ty defense, and that offense is long exposed and is now gone. With the aging players on defense and the money that we have tied up on offense, and it's hard to build up a defense that is good enough to bring us to the playoffs knowing that Cutler's mistakes will always cost us games.

If we moved Cutler, it would give us more flexibility to rebuild the defense. Pair even an average or below average QB with a great defense is a recipe for playoffs, we've proven that with Rex and Jay. If we could have moved Cutler, sign a couple of impact player at the LB and secondary positions, I am happy even if we roll with free agents like Colt McCoy, Jake Locker, draft a QB in the mid rounds, and let them battle it out for for the starting job. That's just my personal preference.

As I stated, no QB in the NFL could have guided the 2014 Bears to the playoffs.

Cutler can't be as bad as he's now made out to be. Finding an equal replacement is not an easy task. Usually if your guy sucks, finding someone his equal is pretty easy.

I haven't seen any experts ever answer this but I wonder what Cutler could command on the open market if he was a free agent.

Edited by Dick Allen

I think the most interesting FA tracking today for me will be Knighton. Seems like bears are still in, this guy may be expensive though. I kind of liked the idea of Shelton, but no sure things in the draft (to even fall to you).

I think over drafting a QB in the first or second round is a mistake a lot of teams make. Taking a risk on a QB in the 3rd or 4th round is a lot less of a gamble. If that team needs a QB and has no one else. I think it's worth it.

Petty is a little older most of the qb's that come out. Phil Simms was 24 when drafted. Had he been drafted, Tony Romo would have been 24, didn't start his first game until 26. Russell Wilson was 24 his first season. Flacco and Manning both turned 24 late in their first seasons.

Petty won't fail in the NFL because of his age.

We got any PFF members here?...Or don't we have a Chiefs fan here?

Curious what the deal with Ron Parker is. His numbers look good (94 tackles, 12 pass deflections, 1 pick), and he played for the #2 pass defense in the league, but PFF has his rating as the 5th worst FA safety.

Bears are said to be interested.

Edited by scs787

I didn't think Packers were going to be able to keep Bulaga and Cobb. I'm glad they got that done.

If they could sign one free agent, I'd like it to be Dan Williams. Really underrated NT. I'm surprised the Bears haven't been mentioned with him.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
I didn't think Packers were going to be able to keep Bulaga and Cobb. I'm glad they got that done.

If they could sign one free agent, I'd like it to be Dan Williams. Really underrated NT. I'm surprised the Bears haven't been mentioned with him.

Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 1m1 minute ago

DT Dan Williams also on #Bears radar. Oakland & NYG Giants also in on him. Expected to be cheaper than Knighton.

(Actually from an hour ago, stole it from another board)

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 1m1 minute ago

DT Dan Williams also on #Bears radar. Oakland & NYG Giants also in on him. Expected to be cheaper than Knighton.

(Actually from an hour ago, stole it from another board)

There you go.

Not a good pass rusher, but he is one of the better run stoppers in the league. Played over 400 snaps last year.