2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)
This is part of the problem. So far the research has shown the concussion issues are no worse in individuals that have played pro football and those who haven't. There are far more issues in people that have been in car accidents than pro football players.

So, it's really difficult to determine if playing football as a child really effects much of anything. Logically, it stands to reason that they have more trauma than someone who doesn't but it's really hard to determine that in later life.

It is weird how it has changed. When I was in HS, I was constantly pressured by coaches to play on the football team, they even had some of my friends who played bother me to play. I played basketball and baseball and the only reason I kept saying no was becasue I was worried about my knees, not my head. These days, it would be the opposite.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Did you watch the PBS Frontline episode on concussions? If so what did you think? They sure offered evidence that the instance of CTE in football players was WAY higher than outside of football.

There has been research since then that shows it really isn't. It's higher but not at a significant level. The difference is that there was a similar number but when you look at the % of the population who didn't play football and the % of people who didn't it evened out.

There still needs to be a great deal of research. In the clinics that specialize in concussions, they see almost 50% more non-sports related concussions.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
The research is pretty limited though isnt it, mostly because a lot of the older guys who probably suffered from CTE didnt have the funds or desire to get checked out.

Either way, why increase the odds of there being any sort of head or spinal injury to your young child by putting them on a team with some wanna be NFL coach making them do Oklahoma drills before their bodies are mature? It's just stupid. I watch the show "Friday Night Tykes" and its sickening. Already on a pool of 5 or so teams they follow there have been at least 2 SERIOUS head injuries.

This is the choice as a parent. How restrictive do you want to be in making your child's choices? There isn't conclusive evidence that would point to one or another. I personally let my son play football, but as you said, I've watched practice closely for safety.

The other point that people are making is that the older football players that show CTE also used PEDs. We've seen players like Lyle Alzado have brain tumors somewhat linked to PEDs. So how much is concussions and how much is PED use in these players.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
It is weird how it has changed. When I was in HS, I was constantly pressured by coaches to play on the football team, they even had some of my friends who played bother me to play. I played basketball and baseball and the only reason I kept saying no was becasue I was worried about my knees, not my head. These days, it would be the opposite.

It is weird how it changes over time. However, at least some of it is because knee injuries are less common due to rule changes. So some of it is good, I guess.

Bears are going to sign Jenkins pending a physical. Jenkins is recruiting Foster as well and that is proven on twitter. Lemming is the only one tweeting about McDonald so far.

But if Bears do sign all 3, I really think this makes Bears go WR at #7 with either Cooper or White.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
Bears are going to sign Jenkins pending a physical. Jenkins is recruiting Foster as well and that is proven on twitter. Lemming is the only one tweeting about McDonald so far.

But if Bears do sign all 3, I really think this makes Bears go WR at #7 with either Cooper or White.

Lemming has been pretty on point all offseason

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
Are you guys disliking a McDonald signing because of his off the field stuff or the on the field play?

not really thrilled with a guy who (allegedly) beat a pregnant girlfriend and also was a suspect in a sexual assault

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
Jarvis Jenkins is terrible and Ray McDonald is aging with a history of domestic violence and possibly rape.

I don't understand those two signings at all.

Well for one, it's only 1 year deals. And there aren't that many good guys in the draft that are 5 techs on the ground. Most are all guys who play standing up mostly like Fowler, Beasley, Ray. Leonard Williams is the only one worth drafting and i don't know if he makes it to 7.

So these signings are just for depth purposes.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
Well for one, it's only 1 year deals. And there aren't that many good guys in the draft that are 5 techs on the ground. Most are all guys who play standing up mostly like Fowler, Beasley, Ray. Leonard Williams is the only one worth drafting and i don't know if he makes it to 7.

I'd be pretty surprised is McDonald doesn't start considering he has been the starter for Fangio on San Fran for the last several years and we don't have anyone else that will clearly be the starter at that position.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
Jarvis Jenkins is terrible and Ray McDonald is aging with a history of domestic violence and possibly rape.

I don't understand those two signings at all.

If they really see Houston as an OLB then right now they'd only have Ratliff, Ego, and Sutton as the only DLinemen on the roster. For depth purposes, it makes all the sense in the world.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)

This is actually a pretty good draft for 5T type guys.

Leonard Williams - USC

Arik Armstead - Oregon

Henry Anderson - Stanford

Corey Crawford - Clemson

Xavier Cooper - Washington St.

Also signing these guys for 1 year deals. You are in the same boat next year.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
This is actually a pretty good draft for 5T type guys.

Leonard Williams - USC

Arik Armstead - Oregon

Henry Anderson - Stanford

Corey Crawford - Clemson

Xavier Cooper - Washington St.

Also signing these guys for 1 year deals. You are in the same boat next year.

I mean, no way leonard williams drops to bears, and you have no idea when the next ones will go in relation to bears.

Jenkins is a signing I like. No real financial ramifications, not good, but young, and if he pans out you found a player. Tim Jennings was basically that. I don't have much respect for the defensive coaching the skins have used last decade.

McDonald sexual assault case is going nowhere. He's suing his accuser and claims that his home surveillance system will prove that they had consensual sex. He's an upgrade at 5 technique for sure though. Ka'Deem Carey assaulted his then pregnant girlfriend while at Arizona. I'm waiting for the backlash at him as well. It's a completely different point but many of the same people who wanted Brandon Marshall to remain a Bear want no part of McDonald. Tad bit ridiculous.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
McDonald sexual assault case is going nowhere. He's suing his accuser and claims that his home surveillance system will prove that they had consensual sex. He's an upgrade at 5 technique for sure though. Ka'Deem Carey assaulted his then pregnant girlfriend while at Arizona. I'm waiting for the backlash at him as well. It's a completely different point but many of the same people who wanted Brandon Marshall to remain a Bear want no part of McDonald. Tad bit ridiculous.

i dont want distractions(and i dont want McDonald), but I think that Marshall is in a different stratosphere than McDonald in that regard.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 07:54 AM)
Are you guys disliking a McDonald signing because of his off the field stuff or the on the field play?

The real question to me is what is the true story behind his off the field stuff. From an on the field perspective, it is a great signing. Off the field, I think it comes down to what the real story was.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
i dont want distractions(and i dont want McDonald), but I think that Marshall is in a different stratosphere than McDonald in that regard.

From a checkered past, if McDonald truly has video evidence proving his innocence, than he isn't even in the same stratosphere as Brandon. Brandon has made significant changes in his life but the guy's rap sheet and his life prior to that was a complete an utter disaster. You think about the stuff people say about Dez and Marshall was probably worse.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
From a checkered past, if McDonald truly has video evidence proving his innocence, than he isn't even in the same stratosphere as Brandon. Brandon has made significant changes in his life but the guy's rap sheet and his life prior to that was a complete an utter disaster. You think about the stuff people say about Dez and Marshall was probably worse.

I think McDonald has domestic violence history but it sounds like the sexual assault case is a nothing. Still a lot of risk though. Fangio and ownership had to give the okay.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)

They all have checkered pasts, but McDonald and Bryant didnt hold random meandering press conferences and get into fights with the kicker and have locker room cancer labels.