2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
I'm a homer but there is a 2 time super bowl champ I would put ahead of Rivers.

It's funny because you never hear him mentioned with the top group of QBs, but then you also never hear much criticism of him either, they way you do of Eli, Rivers, even Stafford. I wonder what Pittsburgh fans truly think of his play. (Although I think he's not liked for other reasons)

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)
It's funny because you never hear him mentioned with the top group of QBs, but then you also never hear much criticism of him either, they way you do of Eli, Rivers, even Stafford. I wonder what Pittsburgh fans truly think of his play. (Although I think he's not liked for other reasons)

I believe he led the league in yards and 3rd in QB rating last year so it couldnt be bad.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
I'm a homer but there is a 2 time super bowl champ I would put ahead of Rivers.

Ah yes, we forgot good ole Eli Manning ;). In all seriousness, I hate Big Ben for his off field stuff but I remember begging and pleading for Bears to draft him years ago. Was a huge fan of his coming out of college. He clearly deserves to fall next in line of that list (ahead of Rivers). Rivers should also be behind Eli, who is grossly overrated but still deserving given his 2 rings.

You also have to factor in Russell + Luck in the equation (obviously not past decade but past couple years when you factor all things, no one ignores Luck but hard to ignore Wilson).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
Oh I thought that was the manning he included :lol:

Haha. We know no one would have put Peyton on a list of all time greats, unless of course we are talking regular season. Grossman is the only QB he beat in the playoffs and that was thanks to Bears turnovers and Colts strong running game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
One of those QB's is not like the others.....

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
Rivers shouldn't be on that list.

Adding Rivers wasn't to suggest he was as good as Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers, I just felt compelled to have a top five. His numbers are eerily similar to Big Ben, so I definitely understand that Roethlisberger could be arguably better than Rivers. The two Super Bowls certainty help his cause. If Rivers had the defenses the Steelers did back in the mid to late 2000s, I think Rivers might have one a Super Bowl or two.

But to re-iterate my point, there is a top four of "elite" and then the next group of "not-quite-elite-but-very-good," which I have Rivers headlining of the last decade.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
I would take Luck in top 5. He has carried his team.

The question is what do those top 5 QB's really have in common other than "pocket passer?"

Extreme intelligence, understanding of defensive schemes and ability to react and anticipate. Not all have the biggest arm or the best measureables. But they all can pick apart a defense quickly and easily.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
Leonard Williams doesn't get you closer to a Super Bowl if you don't have a QB. I don't know if Mariota will be any good, but if you have the chance to go for a QB with potential to be good, I say go for it, that's how important QBs are nowadays. Give Mariota 2-3 years, if he's not good, move on to the next. With the changes in the rooke wage scale, it's not like you will have to sign him to a massive Braford-esque contract.

The Rams traded down, acquired so many great draft picks, and how many playoff appearances has that earned them? You need to find a QB.

Sure it does. If the Bears draft a QB next year, the D line is already on it's way to being really good with him. The Bernstein model of closer to the Super Bowl doesn't necessarily apply to next year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
Leonard Williams is incredible, I won't be upset if we this crackpot fake trade thing happens and we select him.

I just think there are just as many good QB's available next year and would like to wait if possible. The Bears have so many holes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
I just think there are just as many good QB's available next year and would like to wait if possible. The Bears have so many holes.

I agree completely.

JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Connor Cook, Christian Hackenberg, Boykin kid from TCU. I honestly like all 5 of them more than Mariota.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
I agree completely.

JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Connor Cook, Christian Hackenberg, Boykin kid from TCU. I honestly like all 5 of them more than Mariota.

Barrett isnt going into the draft, he's barely playing this year if at all.

I love Connor Cook's game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
Barrett isnt going into the draft, he's barely playing this year if at all.

I love Connor Cook's game.

I do as well, however, I think with a better supporting cast, Hackenberg will be the #1 QB next year.

Hackenberg

Cook

Jones

Boykin

Prescott

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
Sure it does. If the Bears draft a QB next year, the D line is already on it's way to being really good with him. The Bernstein model of closer to the Super Bowl doesn't necessarily apply to next year.

Good QB = close to Super Bowl

Bad QB = not close to Super Bowl

Now if you think there are way better QBs that will be available to the Bears next year, that's fine by me, just wait. But I just wouldn't have a problem with taking a chance on the #2 QB prospect in the draft if that's your best option for the next few years.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
Good QB = close to Super Bowl

Bad QB = not close to Super Bowl

Now if you think there are way better QBs that will be available to the Bears next year, that's fine by me, just wait. But I just wouldn't have a problem with taking a chance on the #2 QB prospect in the draft if that's your best option for the next few years.

The other factor is, with Jay here, I would be stunned if we were picking this high, so the chances of getting that QB in the draft are probably slim. You don't have (and to be frank don't want) a lot of opportunities to select this high.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
I am really sad that Peanut is going to play football for another franchise. Wish Peanut the best and thank him for the way he went about his business and for his exceptional play. He will always be a Bear!!!

It's gonna be a bummer to see him in the Carolina jersey. Peanut was the man in Chicago. Good luck to him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
I am really sad that Peanut is going to play football for another franchise. Wish Peanut the best and thank him for the way he went about his business and for his exceptional play. He will always be a Bear!!!

This sums up my feelings too. Hope he can stay healthy this year and still play some good football.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 9, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
It's gonna be a bummer to see him in the Carolina jersey. Peanut was the man in Chicago. Good luck to him.

Yep, gonna be weird seeing him in their jersey. I wish him the best. Met him one time, real nice guy.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 8, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
I do as well, however, I think with a better supporting cast, Hackenberg will be the #1 QB next year.

Hackenberg

Cook

Jones

Boykin

Prescott

Hackenberg, Cook, and Kessler will be the top 3. Watch Goff from California and Kiel as well. Prescott isn't an NFL player.