2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 12:02 PM)
That Bears secondary could be the worst in the NFL. If they don't put pressure on a QB, they are going to have some ugly games.

Which would be an improvement from "ugly game every time out"

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
The bears last year had 3 straight games where they were down by 30 points or more at halftime.

I don't know if you assume that by people thinking the bears will improve means that they are the seahawks, but, no I do not expect the Bears to have 3 straight games giving up 30+ points at halftime. I expect the one of the best game planning defensive coordinators in football to create more effective defenses than Mel Tucker.

The secondary, to me, does not seem appreciably worse than last year. The linebackers are going to be better, the line better.

Does that mean top 15 d? No, but is that an improvement to last year? yes.

Exactly! Have people forgot how they had maybe the worst defensive season in their history last year?

Yeah I am pretty confident they will be better than that even after watching the first team play poorly after one quarter of play in a preseason game.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
You guys watched the last preseason game with the starting D unit getting steamrolled right? What have you seen thus far to make you think they'll be any better? Throw in the injuries/suspension too.

Other than unbridled hope and optimism that new/different = better, there's no reason to think this year will be any better.

If you watched any 49ers games in the last 2 years you will know that Fangio is going to make it difficult on offenses with exotic schemes & looks. He hasn't done any of that in the first 3 games. Again I'm not expecting them to be above .500 but there is no way that this is a 4 win team that gives up 35 ppg.

Edited by soxfan49

We shall see. 2 years ago it was one of the worst Bears defenses ever. And then last year happened. I get what you guys are saying, that they probably won't be THAT bad, but they won't be appreciably better. They're still a s***ty team. And I think they'll still have their share of terrible, embarrassing losses.

edit: and who gives a crap about the 49ers? They had legitimate, young, NFL talent. The Bears have little of that on the defensive side of the ball. Martz was a genius with the Rams too. How'd that work out?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
We shall see. 2 years ago it was one of the worst Bears defenses ever. And then last year happened. I get what you guys are saying, that they probably won't be THAT bad, but they won't be appreciably better. They're still a s***ty team. And I think they'll still have their share of terrible, embarrassing losses.

edit: and who gives a crap about the 49ers? They had legitimate, young, NFL talent. The Bears have little of that on the defensive side of the ball. Martz was a genius with the Rams too. How'd that work out?

Jay had his best season as a bear under Martz until he broke his thumb

No matter what the talent deficiency, even you have to admit that Fangio scheming with this unit is going to be better than Tucker scheming with this unit. And when you say "scheming" with Tucker, it deserves quotes

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)
Jay had his best season as a bear under Martz until he broke his thumb

No matter what the talent deficiency, even you have to admit that Fangio scheming with this unit is going to be better than Tucker scheming with this unit. And when you say "scheming" with Tucker, it deserves quotes

Scheming will be better, sure. But they still lack players.

Fairly certain we will be really bad. We don't even have any wideouts right now and have zero tackles. This team is set up to be very bad. Defensively you have no anchor's / young proven playmakers. Now the hope is some of those guys emerge but this team is seriously devoid of proven (still in its prime) talent, especially in the secondary.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
Fairly certain we will be really bad. We don't even have any wideouts right now and have zero tackles. This team is set up to be very bad. Defensively you have no anchor's / young proven playmakers. Now the hope is some of those guys emerge but this team is seriously devoid of proven (still in its prime) talent, especially in the secondary.

You have deficiency in safety, but you also have the possibility that Amos is a legitimate starting safety getting real coaching.

You have deficiency in ILB, but you have Pernell mcphee, and possible real player in Christian Jones.

Dline may be legitimately exciting to watch, as Sutton/Goldman/Ego are young and have shown flashes.

There is so much more to watch for than last year. There are no young proven playmakers, but that doesn't mean they won't become then. We finally have a coaching staff that is coaching defense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 05:52 PM)

The bright side, of course, is that sets you up for your QB next April.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
The bright side, of course, is that sets you up for your QB next April.

Oh, I'm not complaining. All things considered I am very happy with where we are. We have a legit coaching staff and candidates I have faith in and while everyone panics over the secretiveness of everyone on injuries, I really don't care. Just figure out a way to collect a lot of talent and win. In terms of Pace, I can't really gripe with anything he's done to date and he deserves the benefit of time.

We could complain about McDonald but he hedged his financial risk their and he clearly had no idea White was going to be out and big picture, as long as White can play long term, oh well if he loses this year. We weren't winning the superbowl anyway. Plus I have to give him credit for bringing in this coaching staff. Otherwise he didn't have a lot to work with. The key will be hitting in the draft and player development and having smart FA signings. Of course it is all easier if Bears hit the jackpot on a franchise QB, which again, being awful this year might only help.

Priorities are going to be significantly increasing the athleticism of the defense and the secondary as well as upgrading the oline and finding a QB (although if you can't find the franchise QB a year from now, not end of the world going with Jay if he regresses back towards the mean / improves in a more run oriented system which takes the ball out of his hands and plays more to his overall strength's.

Brady beats the NFL

This is total bulls***. Brady is a cheater and a jackass. I actually wish physical harm upon him. I still don't get how judges can tell the NFL how to run their league. If I were the league I'd tell the Patriots if Brady takes the field, they forfeit the game.

Brady destroyed the cell phone he is guilty of something..............he is no f***ing saint. The discipline process was in the collective bargaining contract, how a judge can change that is beyond me. The Patriots are the sacred cow no matter what they do.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
Pretty surprising the judge would overturn that decision.

I'm just happy this nonsense is over and we can all move on to something else.

League is going back to court this is not over.

According to ESPN:

KEY POINTS FROM TOM BRADY RULING

The court found that Brady had no notice that he could receive a four-game suspension for general awareness of ball deflation by others

Brady also had no notice that his discipline would be the equivalent of the discipline imposed upon a player who used PEDs

Why on earth does that matter?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
Brady destroyed the cell phone he is guilty of something..............he is no f***ing saint. The discipline process was in the collective bargaining contract, how a judge can change that is beyond me. The Patriots are the sacred cow no matter what they do.

I'm guessing that the judge ruled that the NFL didn't actually follow the discipline process, which given how vindictive and arbitrary Goodell has been, isn't exactly a stretch.

edit: jenks, maybe the disciplinary process spelled out in the CBA requires notice of the potential penalties?

edit2: deadspin has the ruling up

Edited by StrangeSox