2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
Yeah I would have liked to at least see him fail miserably on the field before being a cast away. It seems like he never really done that and there are quarterbacks in the league that are allowed to be bad on a yearly basis and still dont get cast away like Tebow.

Maybe the other garbage QB's are given a shot because there's at least a very small chance of hitting a higher ceiling whereas everyone evaluates Tebow's ceiling to be pretty low?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
I think it's pretty s***ty he doesn't get more of a chance. Given the crap that some teams throw out there, and this guy can't even get a third string role somewhere? Pretty crazy.

Are we still doing this with him? Will it ever end?

It's not crazy, he is awful. If teams thought he could play, he would be on a team.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
Maybe the other garbage QB's are given a shot because there's at least a very small chance of hitting a higher ceiling whereas everyone evaluates Tebow's ceiling to be pretty low?

Also remember how the Broncos completely changed their offense mid season to suit Tebows strengths. Most teams want a QB who can come in and run the offense, and there just aren't that many that suit his strength. Where he has been signed it's been people trying to get him for a specialty role, but it's tough to have such a limited player.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
Are we still doing this with him? Will it ever end?

It's not crazy, he is awful. If teams thought he could play, he would be on a team.

See I don't think either one of these statements is true. He's not GREAT. He's probably not GOOD. But the dude has a winning record and a playoff win. Not a lot of QB's have that. He makes plays. He doesn't make a ton of mistakes. I get that there's a lower ceiling with him, but so what? He does some good things, how's that not worth a 3rd string slot?

I think the biggest problem is the baggage he brings with him. He takes away the spotlight from other players. He'd be a guy that you have to talk about constantly despite never seeing the field. I think that, above all, is why he's not on a roster.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
Also remember how the Broncos completely changed their offense mid season to suit Tebows strengths. Most teams want a QB who can come in and run the offense, and there just aren't that many that suit his strength. Where he has been signed it's been people trying to get him for a specialty role, but it's tough to have such a limited player.

All three of the other guys showed massive improvement in their 2nd year. Tebow got worse.

The raw numbers are also a little misleading, as passing stats have become hugely inflated. For instance, the average QB rating in 1983 (when Elway was a rookie) was 73.1. The average QB rating in Tebow's rookie season was 82.5.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
See I don't think either one of these statements is true. He's not GREAT. He's probably not GOOD. But the dude has a winning record and a playoff win. Not a lot of QB's have that. He makes plays. He doesn't make a ton of mistakes. I get that there's a lower ceiling with him, but so what? He does some good things, how's that not worth a 3rd string slot?

I think the biggest problem is the baggage he brings with him. He takes away the spotlight from other players. He'd be a guy that you have to talk about constantly despite never seeing the field. I think that, above all, is why he's not on a roster.

You think he is the reason for this? and not the stud defense that the Broncos were sporting at that time?

Winning record has nothing to do with it. They won some of those games his first year even though he played like garbage. He has a hard time reading defenses. He isn't accurate and has a really poor throwing motion.

These is some truth to baggage he brings. He probably could be a 3rd QB somewhere, but his cultist fans start coming out calling for him to be the starter. If he signed with the Packers, his cult fans would be calling for him to start over Aaron Rodgers. Also, a lot of teams don't have a 3rd string QB anymore.

If you wanna know why Tim Tebow isn't on a team right not. Watch the play below.

Tim Tebow misses wide-open WR for score, comes up short on run

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
I just got an alert on my phone saying now Jeffrey is leaning towards not playing week 1 because hes not happy with his contract, Ill look for a source but thought Id mention it.

LOL if this is true. Wow.

I think this is the most accurate thing. No coach wants to deal with those extra headaches unless he is better than everyone else, not just as good as everyone else. That is the reason Mike Vick is on a roster, and Tebow isn't. You will put up with the extra headache for someone who is really good. Mediocre? Not worth it. Michael Sam ran into the same problem.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)

I read something that their was possibly more to Jeffrey sitting then meets the eye. Has he been a holdout for a while now? Or is this more of a, hey, I need to get paid before I go out and potentially reinjure myself and thus lower my potential payday?

I really don't think it's the headache. I just think most coaches don't want to suddenly become a read option team when their QB goes down, especially since the read option has not been effective in NFL for 3 years.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
I think it's pretty s***ty he doesn't get more of a chance. Given the crap that some teams throw out there, and this guy can't even get a third string role somewhere? Pretty crazy.

He's just not an NFL QB. He's been let go by Josh McDaniels, John Fox, Bill Belichick, Rex Ryan, and Chip Kelley. If he could play, one of those men would have kept him. He needed a position switch and just never did it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
He's just not an NFL QB. He's been let go by Josh McDaniels, John Fox, Bill Belichick, Rex Ryan, and Chip Kelley. If he could play, one of those men would have kept him. He needed a position switch and just never did it.

Mind you, i'm not saying he's GOOD or that he deserves to be a starter. But 3rd string. 3rd string! He's better than half the current 3rd string QB's, i'm confident in that.

And no, he didn't win those games by himself, but he made plays. Are we forgetting that awful Bears game? It took some Tebow-Jesus luck, but the dude made throws when it mattered.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
Bill Simmons went extreme ultimate fanboy regarding the Patriots Spygate article

http://deadspin.com/patriots-fan-offers-co...repo-1729311526

Great comment:

I love Pats fans. Their arguments are amazing.

“The Pats cheated.”

“Then explain how we won!”

“They cheated.”

“Yeah, but we still won.”

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
There aren't many teams wasting roster spots on a 3rd string QB these days, and like bmags pointed out, having him as a "backup" doesn't really make sense because you have to change your entire offense to cover up for his many weaknesses.

More than half do, according to this fantasy site anyway:

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB

Should be going to the Bears/Packers game with work people/vendor and I believe it's in a box. Even though we will get trounced I'm stoked to go, will be my first time at a Bears game and only 2nd time at Soldier Field.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
More than half do, according to this fantasy site anyway:

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB

Don't they keep the 3rd QB under those rules that he's allowed to be on the protected roster but can only play if the other 2 go down or something like that?

Anyway, the "you don't overhaul your offense for your 3rd string QB" setup starts sounding accurate at that point.

15 teams only kept two QB.

11 teams 3rd string is a drafted player from this year or last. Develop type guys. Hundley, Siemien and Grayson type guys.

Other teams had older guys, but guys that have been on the team for a while. Like Charlie Whitehurst.