3/4 ST: White Sox vs Dodgers

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 01:05 AM)
I thought that Tyler Danish did pretty solid, he bounced back after the two walks to get a nice double play

but isn't that like his SOP. gets in a little trouble every once in a while and pitches himself out of the jam without little of no damaging effect.

i may be wrong here.

but i am stoke for him. So Garcia look really good with the bat today, and by what i was reading, it appears as the sox runners were taking that other base when they had the chance. niccceeeee i love it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 4, 2015 -> 09:45 PM)
but isn't that like his SOP. gets in a little trouble every once in a while and pitches himself out of the jam without little of no damaging effect.

i may be wrong here.

but i am stoke for him. So Garcia look really good with the bat today, and by what i was reading, it appears as the sox runners were taking that other base when they had the chance. niccceeeee i love it.

It's nice to actually have a few guys that can take an extra base. As I said in another thread, simply removing the slugs (Dayan, Kong, Dunn) is going to lead to more runs. Those three guys are possibly three of the slowest 20 runners in all of MLB. Having them all on the team was a big detriment to any sort of overall baserunning prowess.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 4, 2015 -> 09:37 PM)
It's nice to actually have a few guys that can take an extra base. As I said in another thread, simply removing the slugs (Dayan, Kong, Dunn) is going to lead to more runs. Those three guys are possibly three of the slowest 20 runners in all of MLB. Having them all on the team was a big detriment to any sort of overall baserunning prowess.

No errors today. Hopefully we see improved defense this year compared to last.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 4, 2015 -> 11:09 PM)
No errors today. Hopefully we see improved defense this year compared to last.

The more I think about this team the more I like it. They also replaced Dunn and Viciedo with Melky and La Roche, that's good for 5-8 runs saved right there (including La Roche taking 30 starts away from Jose as well, which is a good thing all around) and then you add in the possibility of Sanchez at 2B and they could easily be 1-2 wins better defensively.

One thing Hahn did, he didn't just add to the team, he added almost perfectly at the margins. Bullpen, Defense, Base Running were this team's bugaboos last year. For once it wasn't getting on base. Fix a couple of those areas, improve a little more on offense, and there's your 88 wins and a division title or wild card.

Not saying they are going to win 88 but they certainly have a chance. I think the over under is 82-84 but once in awhile this team could peak out at 88-90. And bottom to 78-80 of course. Let's hope for health and the new additions to contribute.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 4, 2015 -> 11:04 PM)
The more I think about this team the more I like it. They also replaced Dunn and Viciedo with Melky and La Roche, that's good for 5-8 runs saved right there (including La Roche taking 30 starts away from Jose as well, which is a good thing all around) and then you add in the possibility of Sanchez at 2B and they could easily be 1-2 wins better defensively.

One thing Hahn did, he didn't just add to the team, he added almost perfectly at the margins. Bullpen, Defense, Base Running were this team's bugaboos last year. For once it wasn't getting on base. Fix a couple of those areas, improve a little more on offense, and there's your 88 wins and a division title or wild card.

Not saying they are going to win 88 but they certainly have a chance. I think the over under is 82-84 but once in awhile this team could peak out at 88-90. And bottom to 78-80 of course. Let's hope for health and the new additions to contribute.

So what happens when Micah wins the job? :D

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 01:10 AM)
So what happens when Micah wins the job? :D

They gain it back on offense, duh. [/micahsupportersunnysideupbot]

Seriously though I think I'm coming around on Micah. Narrative is reality at times. The guy seems to have "it" whatever that means. Of course, every other guy out there was the big dick in hs and college and usually the minors so that ain't worth much.

Question is, can he field his position? If he can, and the Sox are convinced, cool, Sanchez starts on Sale and Danks days . Only action Beckham ever sees is hitting fungoes after being cut and becoming the "assistant to the manager".

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Avi looked great, Eaton looked great, Jose looked Jose (Jose is a synonym for great), Penny looked real good in that 2nd inning, painting the corner. Sanchez and Hawkins looked awful. Shuck made a spectacular catch. Closed the gap on that ball in no time. Beckham looked horrible a the plate, but made a very slick pick at 3B to start the game. Saladino made a very nice play in the hole.

Basically, the team pretty much dominated defensively. Avi and Shuck with the slick catches in RF. Beckham and Saladino with nice plays. Brantly's missed pop-up behind home was the only mistake I noticed, and I think it's cause he was worried about the pile of bats he was running towards. Dodgers announcers said that Mark Parent is going to give him an earful for that, but I think Parent would be more upset if Brantly ran full sprint for that and broke his leg on a pile of bats on the 1st ST game of the year. I think he'll get a pass.

Pitching wise, I was impressed with Q and Zach Phillips. Danish struggled with his control but managed to work out of a hole which showed character, Penny left a lot of balls up in the zone and got punished for it, had a much better 2nd inning when Brantly was catching. Surkamp left a few up in the zone as well and Kensing struggled but managed to fight his way out of it.

Defensively, we were good with a couple of outstanding plays in the outfield by Shuck and Avi G. I felt that Bona struggled with the hit from Pederson to deep, he struggled to locate it initially and he couldn't make up for it with his speed. The infield all played well with Micah looking better defensively than I thought he would be.

We showed some nice offense with Avi G, JA79 and Lexi all getting a couple of hits and Lexi's aggressive running on the basepaths was nice to see as well.

On the negative, it was the same old from Beckham at the plate. I really hope that he finds himself and works out how to hit at this level or we could be in for some pain over the next few months.

A lot of positives and I'm hoping it carries over to today when we have to face Kershaw. :(

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 05:43 AM)
I really don't know what you can take away from the very first meaningless game in spring training. Good or bad.

Defense is something that translates from spring. Obviously hits are a lot of times meaningless, but its nice to see the players have some great energy.

QUOTE (staxx @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
Defense is something that translates from spring. Obviously hits are a lot of times meaningless, but its nice to see the players have some great energy.

Yes, but it was March 3. There are a lot of guys who look like stars the first couple of weeks of spring training that wind up being bad, and vice versa. Especially this early, a lot depends on how much you did in the offseason. Others who didn't hit as much or throw as much eventually catch up. I like Micah Johnson and hope he winds up starting at 2B. But whether he went 0-4 with 4 k's or 4-4 with 3 steals on March 3rd, it wouldn't change my opinion.

The guys that played some winter ball are probably a little ahead right now.

Watching these games now are great for entertainment purposes. It's been a while since we have seen them on the field. But making any evaluation at this point is crazy.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 08:14 AM)
Yes, but it was March 3. There are a lot of guys who look like stars the first couple of weeks of spring training that wind up being bad, and vice versa. Especially this early, a lot depends on how much you did in the offseason. Others who didn't hit as much or throw as much eventually catch up. I like Micah Johnson and hope he winds up starting at 2B. But whether he went 0-4 with 4 k's or 4-4 with 3 steals on March 3rd, it wouldn't change my opinion.

Watching these games now are great for entertainment purposes. It's been a while since we have seen them on the field. But making any evaluation at this point is crazy.

Nobody is really drawing anything from this game. People are just excited for baseball

QUOTE (glangon @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 02:50 AM)
Pitching wise, I was impressed with Q and Zach Phillips. Danish struggled with his control but managed to work out of a hole which showed character, Penny left a lot of balls up in the zone and got punished for it, had a much better 2nd inning when Brantly was catching. Surkamp left a few up in the zone as well and Kensing struggled but managed to fight his way out of it.

Defensively, we were good with a couple of outstanding plays in the outfield by Shuck and Avi G. I felt that Bona struggled with the hit from Pederson to deep, he struggled to locate it initially and he couldn't make up for it with his speed. The infield all played well with Micah looking better defensively than I thought he would be.

We showed some nice offense with Avi G, JA79 and Lexi all getting a couple of hits and Lexi's aggressive running on the basepaths was nice to see as well.

On the negative, it was the same old from Beckham at the plate. I really hope that he finds himself and works out how to hit at this level or we could be in for some pain over the next few months.

A lot of positives and I'm hoping it carries over to today when we have to face Kershaw. :(

Also Arizona "high sky" and no clouds....typical type of defensive problems result, balls don't act predictably in that air, either.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
I want Micah starting. Sanchez just doesn't do it for me. Micah has good upside. Let him play. Hope he does well and wins the job.

not necessary winning the job, but more like an example of encouragement of, you are close, you need to work on these items to improve.

its a win win situation

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)

while i respect what you are saying, its is only a couple of days of spring training, fans are just excited about baseball, sox baseball, and the prospects.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 09:14 AM)

I agree on offense but defensively you can get a better reading. If a player goes 3-3 but it is against a Class A pitchers it does not mean much. If he steals 2 bases but it is against the 5th string catcher in camp then again you can't draw much. But if a guy is not covering the ground for his position or is not making good throws or struggles turning the doubleplay, those can be takeaways of what is to come this spring when the roster gets trimmed.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
I agree on offense but defensively you can get a better reading. If a player goes 3-3 but it is against a Class A pitchers it does not mean much. If he steals 2 bases but it is against the 5th string catcher in camp then again you can't draw much. But if a guy is not covering the ground for his position or is not making good throws or struggles turning the doubleplay, those can be takeaways of what is to come this spring when the roster gets trimmed.

Back when I was a little kid, the Sox had a guy named Jorge Orta. He was a really good hitter, but brutal 2B. Every year in the spring he would get rave reviews for his improved defense, and every year he was what he had always been.

Guys do improve and regress defensively, but usually unless they are really young, not that drastic. I just find it hard to believe you will be able to really tell the very first game of spring training. I also think since it's been 6 months, people who do want to evaluate on day 1 go way overboard both ways. Garcia made a nice catch. He has done that before. Dayan Viciedo has made nice defensive plays before. Chances are, you still will see Avi take a taxi driver desperate for extra money route to the ball when you see in at USCF in RF.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
Back when I was a little kid, the Sox had a guy named Jorge Orta. He was a really good hitter, but brutal 2B. Every year in the spring he would get rave reviews for his improved defense, and every year he was what he had always been.

Guys do improve and regress defensively, but usually unless they are really young, not that drastic. I just find it hard to believe you will be able to really tell the very first game of spring training. I also think since it's been 6 months, people who do want to evaluate on day 1 go way overboard both ways. Garcia made a nice catch. He has done that before. Dayan Viciedo has made nice defensive plays before. Chances are, you still will see Avi take a taxi driver desperate for extra money route to the ball when you see in at USCF in RF.

Right, he's been a professional outfielder for six years now, under the instruction of some of the best guys out there. If he hasn't figured out HOW to play defense yet, he isn't likely to do it now.

A lot of things improve with practice, but bad instincts on routes and reads aren't going to change drastically at this point. He'll probably get gradually better over the next 5 years if he hits enough to get the regular playing time, but it'll be shocking if he ever lives up to the promise of his athleticism out there.