Big Ten Tournament

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
Does Purdue need to beat Illinois to make the tourney? Or would three losses in a row (including tourney) knock them out?

If I were on the committee i'd say no, but I think conventional wisdom is that Purdue needs that win and maybe even one more in the tourney to get in. Illinois needs the game at Purdue and they should be in, but it might require another win in the tourney as well.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
If I were on the committee i'd say no, but I think conventional wisdom is that Purdue needs that win and maybe even one more in the tourney to get in. Illinois needs the game at Purdue and they should be in, but it might require another win in the tourney as well.

10-8 over an 11-7 B10 team doesn't have too many precedents.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
10-8 over an 11-7 B10 team doesn't have too many precedents.

In 2013, 8-10 Illinois was a 7 seed. 9-9 Iowa missed the tournament.

2010, 10-8 Illinois missed the tournament. 9-9 Minnesota got in.

Conference record is one factor that is absolutely not considered by the committee.

IF Illinois beats Purdue on Saturday (please, please beat Purdue on Saturday), the Illini will have a better resume than Purdue. Purdue has two horrible home losses in December and lacks a real signature win (home against Ohio State is their best).

Illinois, on the other hand, has one bad loss (@ Nebraska) and three wins that are better than Purdue's best win (Baylor on a neutral floor, Maryland, and @ Michigan State).

Depending on what happens to the rest of the bubble (and if any bids get stolen in conference tournaments), Illinois and Purdue could both be on the outside looking in. But an Illinois win @ Purdue definitely puts the Illini ahead of Purdue as of Saturday.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
In 2013, 8-10 Illinois was a 7 seed. 9-9 Iowa missed the tournament.

2010, 10-8 Illinois missed the tournament. 9-9 Minnesota got in.

Conference record is one factor that is absolutely not considered by the committee.

IF Illinois beats Purdue on Saturday (please, please beat Purdue on Saturday), the Illini will have a better resume than Purdue. Purdue has two horrible home losses in December and lacks a real signature win (home against Ohio State is their best).

Illinois, on the other hand, has one bad loss (@ Nebraska) and three wins that are better than Purdue's best win (Baylor on a neutral floor, Maryland, and @ Michigan State).

Depending on what happens to the rest of the bubble (and if any bids get stolen in conference tournaments), Illinois and Purdue could both be on the outside looking in. But an Illinois win @ Purdue definitely puts the Illini ahead of Purdue as of Saturday.

Now that the conference schedule is unbalanced, it makes sense. There used to be a day if you weren't .500 in your conference, and didn't win your conference tournament, you were out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 07:41 PM)
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/colle...hands/24370679/

Wolves are out in force baying at Creans heels.

Btw, is there any example of an 11-7 or 10-6 big ten team missing? 8-10/9-9/10-8 I get that. 2013 and 1997 still sting for Iowa fans.

Ha, I like how Doyel turns the Creaning phrase around. Crean could get Creaned.

Because seriously, signing two guys when you have no seniors AND no clear-cut NBA players about to leave is beyond stupid, not to mention just a dick move.

I think I may have invented the word Creaning. Not that it's actually some genius thought but I made a thread on an illinois board when Crean took over titled "Indiana doing some Spring Creaning" and the thread blew up huge as Cream kicked every player off the team basically. I thought it was original at the time but it could have started elsewhere too. It also wasnt used negatively as it is now as he was kicking players off for being idiots. Just funny to see it used so widespread now.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 10:18 PM)
I think I may have invented the word Creaning. Not that it's actually some genius thought but I made a thread on an illinois board when Crean took over titled "Indiana doing some Spring Creaning" and the thread blew up huge as Cream kicked every player off the team basically. I thought it was original at the time but it could have started elsewhere too. It also wasnt used negatively as it is now as he was kicking players off for being idiots. Just funny to see it used so widespread now.

Yeah it's definitely common now, as that article notes. And that first mass exodus, like you say, was called for. I can't remember if Ron Patterson and Matt Roth were the first victims or it happened before that. I think those two were the first, I don't remember it happening before the 2012 offseason.

Purdue Indiana and Illinois with virtually identical rpi numbers in the high 50s.

http://hawkeyenation.com/basketball/b1g-to...d-possibilities

B10 tourney seeding possibilities

Indiana/Minnesota and Illinois/mi with the latter winner getting the Badgers. Ind would face MD...if they could pull out of their slide.

Purdue with the double bye as a 4.

As an Iowa fan, it would be great to get one more shot at the Badgers the way we're playing currently. The first two were blowouts.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 08:09 AM)
Do any of the games today have an effect on seeding?

If OSU beats Wisconsin, Iowa gets the double bye 4 seed.there is some stuff with NU gets a bye with a Nebraska and Minnesota loss IIRC.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 07:24 AM)
If OSU beats Wisconsin, Iowa gets the double bye 4 seed.there is some stuff with NU gets a bye with a Nebraska and Minnesota loss IIRC.

Not counting on that happening even if Russell goes off for 40.

Just want shots at Purdue and Wisky again...Aaron White was injured, it was on the road and they still had a good opportunity to win in the final minute and it got away.

Day 1

Nebraska over Penn state

Minnesota over Rutgers

Day 2

Illinois over Michigan

Iowa over Nebraska

Northwestern over Indiana

Minnesota over Ohio State

Day 3

Wisconsin over Illinois

Iowa over Purdue

Maryland over Northwestern