3/5 ST: White Sox vs Dodgers 2pm MLB Network

GGajewski18

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing Hawkins hit a 430 foot bomb to center was nice, but I didn't think a ton about it.

But I just watched a video of the swing (White Sox tweeted it, just a short one), and I am very happy. If you see the video, notice two things. One, there is almost no bat load there at all, just a very minimal flick there. And the other thing is, he doesn't fly open as dramatically, even with a pitch on the relative inner half. If you've been watching him, this is a very exciting development.

Now yeah, the pitch was a hanger. But, by the way, it was a hanging breaking ball, which he recognized and pounded.

I'm looking forward to doing the re-visit article in April or May, like I did the last couple years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 05:28 PM)
Hawkins will certainly test Hawks theory that you can make a career as just a great mistake pitch hitter.

He definitely hits mistakes, but I've seen him hit good stuff before, especially on the outer half. For him the keys were mechanical issues (which he seems to be ironing out nicely), and pitch recognition (which we'll need more reps to know for sure).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)
How did Ynoa's stuff look?

Has Hawkins always had that slight bat wiggle/waggle timing mechanism in his swing?

Ynoas stuff looked pretty electric. He got hit fairly hard, but reminded me a bit of a healthy looking Alexei Ogando.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
Fwiw, Steiner blamed Micah for having his back to the runner and being a bit out of position to catch the ball and make the tag...that he kind of caught it and chased rather than setting up properly. Would have to see the replay. Johnson just helped turn a double play.

that's exactly what happened...the throw had him. As for Micah...he looked lost at the plate today with a ridiculously slow bat.