2015 MLB Catch-All Thread

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 11:59 PM)
Catching a game in Toronto next Sunday as part of my honeymoon (getting married Friday), excited to watch the Jays. Plan on picking up a Buerhle shirsey.

Prices as expected are much higher since the last time I caught a Sox game there in 2009 when we were able to walk up and get club level for under $50 Canadian. Stubhub is all $30-40 for the Upper Deck right now and where we sat then is around $100 American. Back then the exchange rate was pretty close where as now our dollar is stronger than Canada's.

Had to watch Roy Halladay own us that day... we jumped to a 2-0 lead on Halladay then got shut out which brought back bad memories from the year before in 2008 (infamous blow up doll clubhouse scandal broke that day!) when Halladay out-dueled Contreras who actually pitched the whole game and lost 3-2.

Congrats. Toronto seems to have fully caught Jays fever, should be a great atmosphere

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 11:59 PM)
Catching a game in Toronto next Sunday as part of my honeymoon (getting married Friday), excited to watch the Jays. Plan on picking up a Buerhle shirsey.

Prices as expected are much higher since the last time I caught a Sox game there in 2009 when we were able to walk up and get club level for under $50 Canadian. Stubhub is all $30-40 for the Upper Deck right now and where we sat then is around $100 American. Back then the exchange rate was pretty close where as now our dollar is stronger than Canada's.

Had to watch Roy Halladay own us that day... we jumped to a 2-0 lead on Halladay then got shut out which brought back bad memories from the year before in 2008 (infamous blow up doll clubhouse scandal broke that day!) when Halladay out-dueled Contreras who actually pitched the whole game and lost 3-2.

I was just in Toronto a few months ago for a bachelor party and we walked in the stadium district, really cool area. Make sure to go to Steamwhistle Brewery for a tour, good experience. The needle is right there, and actually the ride up/meal at the restaurant combo isn't terribly priced. And also, if you get a chance, go to a game at Toronto FC, that was a really cool experience (but it's a cab ride away).

Have fun and congrats on the marriage!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
Christopher Kamka ‏@ckamka 9h9 hours ago

At the time of Vin Scully's 1st Dodgers broadcast in 1950, Hank Greenberg was 5th in MLB history with 331 career HR. Now he's tied for 105th

Saw on Twitter that Vin Scully called a game with Connie Mack (born 1862) as manager and now called a game with Addison Russell (born 1994) as a player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 3m3 minutes ago

Edison Volquez said he had chickenpox as a kid. Yordano Ventura didn't but said he isn't worried. When asked why, he flexed his biceps.

Boy he's just a peach, isn't he.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 3m3 minutes ago

Edison Volquez said he had chickenpox as a kid. Yordano Ventura didn't but said he isn't worried. When asked why, he flexed his biceps.

I was apparently born with a natural immunity to chicken pox. 90% of the kids in my second grade class got it but I never did. Then when I had kids of my own, the two older ones got it and I still never did.

So much for the Sox getting a sweep. Now I hope they get swept, because I'd rather see the Twins in over the Rangers. Starting to see some separation, and it may come down to the Twins and Rangers, and who can get to 86 wins.

AL Wildcard

NY 74-58 +4.0

Tex 70-62 --

Min 69-63 1.0

LAA 67-66 3.5

TB 66-67 4.5

AL East

Tor 76-57 --

NY 74-58 1.5

AL West

Hou 73-61 --

Tex 70-62 2.0

LAA 67-66 5.5

The National League is done. Absolutely nothing to watch the rest of the regular season.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
The National League is done. Absolutely nothing to watch the rest of the regular season.

Only undecided thing is Cubs/Pirates, and who will be home for WC game. Pirates just had a brutal series in Milwaukee, as their pitching has really struggled.

Did anybody see Brandon McCarthy's nonsense on Twitter tonight? He psted a link to an article stating the Royals were 30 games over .500 and commented, "bad math." He then stated that an 80-50 team is 15 games over .500, not 30, because they would be at .500 if you replaced 15 of their wins with losses. And a whole bunch of people agreed with him, and he was also really snarky and dickish towards anybody who disagreed.

What?!? I've never in my life seen the phrase "over .500" interpeted that way. He's crazy, right? Or else he's trolling. The Sox are 62-70, 8 games under .500. Somebody put my mind at ease here.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 09:57 PM)
Did anybody see Brandon McCarthy's nonsense on Twitter tonight? He psted a link to an article stating the Royals were 30 games over .500 and commented, "bad math." He then stated that an 80-50 team is 15 games over .500, not 30, because they would be at .500 if you replaced 15 of their wins with losses. And a whole bunch of people agreed with him, and he was also really snarky and dickish towards anybody who disagreed.

What?!? I've never in my life seen the phrase "over .500" interpeted that way. He's crazy, right? Or else he's trolling. The Sox are 62-70, 8 games under .500. Somebody put my mind at ease here.

I would say that both interpretations could be taken as correct and to me all that matters is that there's a consistent usage. Brandon's usage is correct because if the team had lost 15 instead of winning them they'd be .500, but the other interpretation is also correct because if they had 30 fewer wins they would be .500.

Historically I've always heard the latter and I can't see why either interpretation should be seen as obviously more accurate.

One argument in favor of Brandon being wrong? The Royals beat the White Sox and become 81-50. Are they 15 1/2 games over .500? Such that if you replaced 15 1/2 of their wins with losses they'd be .500? So their record would be 65 1/2 and 65 1/2? Given that you can't actually have a record of 1/2 a win the phrasing does become at least extra awkward in that usage.