2015 MLB Catch-All Thread

LittleHurt05

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 29m29 minutes ago

Bryce Harper is being kept out of lineup today for his role in Papelbon fight, #Nats manager Matt Williams announces

FOX Sports: MLB @MLBONFOX

#Nats suspend Jonathan Papelbon four games for fighting with Bryce Harper

--->http://foxs.pt/1h3TPr3

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“You’ve played 63 innings this year,” said former big leaguer Mark DeRosa this morning on MLB Central, referring to Papelbon. “You’re toe-stepping a guy who’s played in 1,262 innings, who’s hitting .336 with 41 homers, is gonna be the National League MVP, and you’re questioning whether or not he goes to the post every day. That’s tired, OK? No reliever should tell a position player anything about hustle.” It’s certainly possible that Bryce Harper needs to run a little bit harder on pop-ups and other presumed outs. But he needs to hear that message from his manager, not from a dyspeptic clubhouse cancer whose big mouth writes checks that his on-field performance can’t cash.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
Kershaw vs Bumgarner tonight with the division still technically up for grabs. Over under at 5.5, which is rare as can be.

1 hit, 13 K complete game shutout by Kershaw to win the NL West. Best in the business.

https://vine.co/v/eQOOBZW0uHI

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 01:02 AM)
The mainstream media is really counting Kershaw out of the Cy Young conversation?

Heard Chris Singleton say Arrieta does more in bigger games. I guess Kershaw doing it to clinch the division was an unimportant game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
Heard Chris Singleton say Arrieta does more in bigger games. I guess Kershaw doing it to clinch the division was an unimportant game.

Arrieta has 20 wins and despite everything we know about the win stat, I feel like that's still going to be the magic number for him.

I've heard a lot of talk about unbalanced schedules lately, but I see two issues that remain even if we were to "balance" them out like they were before the divisions.

1. Teams like Oakland and Seattle are going to get boned with all the extra mileage they would have to endure, which is already a big disadvantage they have to deal with.

2. Even if you face the same teams as everyone else, it's highly unlikely you're going to face the same set of pitchers as everyone else, some teams are going to luck out and miss more aces, while an unlucky team will face them more often. This is a problem unique to baseball.

Obviously there's nothing you can do about #2, but this means that even with 100% balanced schedules some teams are still going to get a raw deal compared to a balanced schedule system in other sports.