Rodon believes he's ready now

caulfield12

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
i will go even further and say, he is going to say otherwise, or so he can start his time so he can become a free agent sooner.

Who cares? It's not his choice.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 06:42 PM)
Can someone explain the benefits for the sox to wait? I know a lot of teams do wait for financial reasons but what are the benefits?

i believe for waiting for some months, the sox can control him for 1 full extra yr before he becomes a FA.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
Can someone explain the benefits for the sox to wait? I know a lot of teams do wait for financial reasons but what are the benefits?

If he breaks camp with the Sox and remains on the roster for 6 years, giving him 6.0 years of service time, he's a FA at that time. Keep him in the minors for as little as two weeks, his clock would be slightly less than 6.0 years, meaning the Sox control him for one more season. A lot can happen between now and then, but currently the Sox have options at the back of the rotation, that's why he'll make a few starts in the minors.

Truly doesn't matter what you think, Carlos, sorry. You're about to learn the minor, but real, flipside of your choice of agents.

No biggie. They only really need to wait 2-3 weeks.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
Truly doesn't matter what you think, Carlos, sorry. You're about to learn the minor, but real, flipside of your choice of agents.

No biggie. They only really need to wait 2-3 weeks.

His agent is probably the one who told him to say he's ready now. Mo' money sooner for Rodon means more for Borass .Put pressure on the Sox to take him north and if he pitches well the whole spring makes it obvious the ony reason they won't bring him north is for that extra year.

Trouble is the Sox would probably keep him down longer so it doesnt appear obvious what their intentions were. In a year you expect to compete Rodon's arm could be the difference between winning and losing the division.

Either way though he should have an innings limit and if they want him fresher for the end of the year then they could limit his innings severely the first couple months of the season. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

As far as stuff goes, he probably is ready but he's not ready as far as endurance is concerned, at least not as a starter on a potential playoff contender. Carlos still needs to build up to 33 starts.

Let Carlos have his innings as a starter in Charlotte and if he's needed, he's just a phone call away. Maybe the Sox could use him in the pen for the stretch run.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
As far as stuff goes, he probably is ready but he's not ready as far as endurance is concerned, at least not as a starter on a potential playoff contender. Carlos still needs to build up to 33 starts.

Let Carlos have his innings as a starter in Charlotte and if he's needed, he's just a phone call away. Maybe the Sox could use him in the pen for the stretch run.

23-27 would be a pretty decent guess....depending on accumulated innings (140-160) and pitch counts, obviously.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
Tony Clark, the players association president, said he will be keeping an eye on guys like Rodon and Kris Bryant and team manipulating their service time, but there is nothing he can do unless there is something in the next contract.

The White Sox have five starting pitchers under contract on the major league roster and two viable major league lefities in the bullpen. Tony Clark can look all he wants.

Me personally, I'd rather spend April and May in Charlotte as opposed to Chicago. Charlotte is super duper this time of year.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 01:27 AM)
The White Sox have five starting pitchers under contract on the major league roster and two viable major league lefities in the bullpen. Tony Clark can look all he wants.

Me personally, I'd rather spend April and May in Charlotte as opposed to Chicago. Charlotte is super duper this time of year.

i would assume that Rodon would rather suffer the cold in order to be a FA 1 yr earlier.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
23-27 would be a pretty decent guess....depending on accumulated innings (140-160) and pitch counts, obviously.

I think 23-27 is a good guess Caulfield and IMO, 140-160 would be the target for 2015.

I hope Sox are either in first place or within 3-4 games when Rodon joins the rotation. On paper, if he's as good as advertised, Sale, Rodon, Q will be a great starting three to go with Shark and Danks. Lotta lefties, though. Lefthanded hitters on opposing teams are not going to enjoy four-game series vs. the Sox. Lefty hitters in the Central division are not gonna enjoy all those games against the Sox lefties. Righties will love the chance tho.

Edited by greg775

If he gives the team a better chance of winning now he better be on the roster. I don't care about Super 2 or whatever little tricks we can use. We have two of the 10 best players in the league right now in their prime. Worrying about 4 years from now (esp about something so petty) is missing the point.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 09:48 PM)
I hope Sox are either in first place or within 3-4 games when Rodon joins the rotation. On paper, if he's as good as advertised, Sale, Rodon, Q will be a great starting three to go with Shark and Danks. Lotta lefties, though. Lefthanded hitters on opposing teams are not going to enjoy four-game series vs. the Sox. Lefty hitters in the Central division are not gonna enjoy all those games against the Sox lefties. Righties will love the chance tho.

No righty will love facing Sale.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 07:27 PM)

Say you're getting paid to do this, and you make 7x what you do in Chicago versus Charlotte. Then say spending time in Chicago increases your own ability to make 100-200x the amount you'd make in Charlotte.

You really prefer the weather that much?

Carlos Rodon does not give the team the best chance to win if he has to be shut down for 1 start every 3-4 weeks the whole year to keep his arm from being exhausted and if he's pitching on fumes down the stretch in August and September like Sale and Quintana were in 2012.

I still don't care about the super-2 deadline or whether its good business or not. If you're trying to rely on his arm in August after he's thrown 140 innings he's either going to hurt himself or he's going to be flat out bad. The end result of that will be him skipping starts and then more innings hung on Sale and Quintana down the stretch, or on the bullpen, and wearing out Sale even more also sounds like a losing strategy to me.

He shouldn't start at Charlotte for money reasons although those are nice. He should start at Charlotte because he's never pitched more than 130 innings in a season and he did that against college-level competition. Whether he's ready or not we need to go easy on him because exhaustion will equal losses.

While I love his competitive nature I really don't think he's ready yet and I don't think money or any of that is on his mind just yet. He wants to compete with the best because he believes he's one of the best. Nothing wrong with that. The Sox will know more by the end of spring training and then we'll see how it'll work out.