ST: 3/10 at Royals

flavum

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
I can't think of the last time someone was annointed next big thing since like Ryan Sweeney was referred to as a baseball god.

For a lot of people, there was wonder on just why the org tended to view micah with so much preference. This is the first time people can see that.

Honestly, I think you can chill, you read 4 posts in a game thread and then go off the deepend. Heads up, every small action is a career indictment in game threads.

Eh I'm bored out of my mind at work and what the hell else is there to talk about on March 10th? Other than Rodon, Sale's injury and Micah's play pretty much zero storylines out of camp so far gotta talk about something.

As I've said, Micah could very well be the ORGs hand picked choice to "win" the second base job. Great. I hope he hits 280/330/430 with 40 sb in 55 tries and plays run neutral defense at 2B. With that 3 WAR from 2B it offsets regression elsewhere.

I just don't see that happening and would prefer to have him get much more meaningful experience in AAA before coming to Chicago based on a hot spring and 80 speed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
Yeah, visibly frustrated and had his hands folded across his chest....lets chalk it up to competitiveness and not immaturity or petulance.

For me it's immaturity and it needs to be dealt with. Call it whatever you want thou... I'm just Yoda, not God.

If Johnson is the starting second baseman, Sanchez has to be in AAA, getting playing time. He is still very young.

Beckham could also be used as a late inning defensive replacement at second. That might be his best fit on this squad, as he really doesn't offer better offense than

Gillaspie vs. LHP, bad as Connor has been against southpaws.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
For those that don't want Johnson starting at 2nd, what has Sanchez done to be considered a quality replacement?

For the record... I'm a huge Johnson proponent and think he can grow fine being thrown into the Fire right now. He gives this team a dynamic player for the biggest potential impact. Just pointing out my Yoda observations.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
If the Sox think he's earned it fine, but all this talk is just confirmation bias after 20 PA. I mean seriously, PUMP THE f***ING BREAKS.

Every single year it seems someone is anointed the next big thing in camp this year Rodon and Micah get to split the honors. I can only hope the Sox are a little more savvy then some of the fans and media.

We all know where you stand on Micah Johnson

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
With Johnson apparently running (lol) away with the 2B job, Beckham is really only considered for the UTIL INF job. And he'd be fine for that, hitting against LHP a lot. It's him or Carlos Sanchez in that role (theoretically could be both but not likely). I think they're both fine for that.

Are they giving Beckham any time at short?

Sanchez, at best, is described as complementary or competent. That's upside, he "won't kill you" or something like that.

Johnson can change a game offensively AND defensively (at least, he showcased that side of his skills today).

Royals' guys saying Micah Johnson had an absolutely SUPERB performance today. 4/4, two great defensive plays and almost made the defensive play of the pre-season if he could have held onto the ball.

Edited by caulfield12

I have posted several times that I think Johson needs a year in AAA since the White Sox need to improve their defense. But he may prove to be too good offensively to do that. If so, nice problem to have

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
Sanchez, at best, is described as complementary or competent. That's upside, he "won't kill you" or something like that.

Johnson can change a game offensively AND defensively (at least, he showcased that side of his skills today).

Royals' guys saying Micah Johnson had an absolutely SUPERB performance today. 4/4, two great defensive plays and almost made the defensive play of the pre-season if he could have held onto the ball.

I have no doubt both will be successful, but Sanchez's future has to be coming off the bench. Just my personal opinion, but nothing really screams to me that Sanchez is a MLB caliber starter. Micah at least has that potential with his speed and hitting.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
Using testimonial evidence of how to cope with the emotions of being a baseball player from Logan Morrison isn't that far from using testimonial evidence from Rob Ford on how to be a mayor of a major city.

Other than his disappointing career, all I know about Morrison is that he thinks women shouldn't breastfeed in public, he has choice words about homosexuals and he wishes he was Native American so he wouldn't have to pay taxes. The dude's a clown. A 24 year-old Micah Johnson with 0 service days in the MLB has more maturity than a 27 year-old LoMo with five years in big league ball.

You're really grasping at any possible straws to make your Micah argument.

Your feisty meter is on high I see. Just because you don't see eye to eye with Morrison's views does not make it impossibe for him to provide insight on something else that he is actually not ignorant on. Take off the Judge's robe and take a seat with the regular folks.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 07:41 PM)
I don't know, I am definitely not a part of the political correctness police, but I wouldn't disseminate my views that could be be perceived as ignorant/offensive to sects of people including and not limited to women, homosexuals and Native Americans. If LoMo was making all of these comments on a forum and was a regular Joe like one of us I wouldn't raise an eyebrow but he's representing an organization and himself as a professional. His reputation is tainted by his immaturity and silly comments and now we are supposed to use his words as the basis of whether Johnson should start in AAA or in the MLB? Maybe if Morrison shut up for once he wouldn't have had so many growing pains. I don't know how much you know about Morrison but here's some insight on him: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...urn=mlb-wp15874

Regardless, in most cases, using one piece of testimonial evidence for the justification of a broader point just isn't sound rhetoric in my opinion.

FFS it was simply to further add to the discussion about maturity and playing in MLB when you are young. Judging from what a few posters here mentioned with Micah it seems he might have a maturity issue (raise your hand if you didn't in your early 20s) and the best place to get on the job training might not be Chicago, but experiencing 200-300 PA down in Charlotte.

Morrison came across quite self aware in his interview and also was speaking frankly about how maturity isn't something you just wake up with one day it comes slowly with time and experience.

I feel like a lot of people on this board are simply ignoring Micah's flaws or papering them away. If you take a step back and ignore meaningless platitudes like "his speed changes games" -- what are you left with on Micah? A guy that hasn't even spent half a season above high A ball. A guy that from all reports doesn't know how to use his speed both in the field and on the bases to his full advantage.

Sanchez is no great shakes. At best, he's likely to be adaquate. A 1 WAR starter with a s*** bat and a solid glove. That said, Micah is no great shakes either. Yes he has a higher upside, he also has a lower floor.

As I've said time and time again -- this isn't the year to be rolling the dice unless you forced to gamble. If the Sox are 10 back in July and Sanchez is a negative WAR player then by all means, f***ing roll the dice on Micah. But there's not a single compelling reason to rush him up to MLB and ask him to be a 2-3 WAR player right away.

Fans always get excited over guys that can run. I get it, I do, but come on, even Billy Hamilton compiled almost all of his value from defense last year, not something Micah is likely to duplicate, not by a long shot -- and Hamilton has a pedigree far exceeding Micah's offensively. He put up huge numbers in tougher leagues than Micah.

In conclusion, this is a very tough decision for the club to make and treating it as "Micah's job to lose" doesn't do anyone any favors. It's way more nuanced than that.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 06:04 PM)
Easy decision, and a decision that's already been made. Micah Johnson is the 2B, and he will be all year, batting 9th.

Get used to it.

+1 ( I hope )

Why does Micah Johnson need to be a 2 to 3 WAR player to warrant the 2B job when you think Sanchez is a 1 WAR player?

If their performances are going to be even remotely similar, then you're better off giving the everyday at-bats to the guy who has a chance of being a long-term solution at the position. I think the vast majority of front office types & scouts would agree that guy is Micah.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
FFS it was simply to further add to the discussion about maturity and playing in MLB when you are young. Judging from what a few posters here mentioned with Micah it seems he might have a maturity issue (raise your hand if you didn't in your early 20s) and the best place to get on the job training might not be Chicago, but experiencing 200-300 PA down in Charlotte.

Morrison came across quite self aware in his interview and also was speaking frankly about how maturity isn't something you just wake up with one day it comes slowly with time and experience.

I feel like a lot of people on this board are simply ignoring Micah's flaws or papering them away. If you take a step back and ignore meaningless platitudes like "his speed changes games" -- what are you left with on Micah? A guy that hasn't even spent half a season above high A ball. A guy that from all reports doesn't know how to use his speed both in the field and on the bases to his full advantage.

Sanchez is no great shakes. At best, he's likely to be adaquate. A 1 WAR starter with a s*** bat and a solid glove. That said, Micah is no great shakes either. Yes he has a higher upside, he also has a lower floor.

As I've said time and time again -- this isn't the year to be rolling the dice unless you forced to gamble. If the Sox are 10 back in July and Sanchez is a negative WAR player then by all means, f***ing roll the dice on Micah. But there's not a single compelling reason to rush him up to MLB and ask him to be a 2-3 WAR player right away.

Fans always get excited over guys that can run. I get it, I do, but come on, even Billy Hamilton compiled almost all of his value from defense last year, not something Micah is likely to duplicate, not by a long shot -- and Hamilton has a pedigree far exceeding Micah's offensively. He put up huge numbers in tougher leagues than Micah.

In conclusion, this is a very tough decision for the club to make and treating it as "Micah's job to lose" doesn't do anyone any favors. It's way more nuanced than that.

Wait we are taking one small incident and turning it a maturity problem?

Come on man.