The OU Frat Boys

greg775

I dont get why anyone, in this day and age, do anything stupid like that with camera phones around. Once again, so happy that and social media didnt exist when I was in college.

Going to generalize quite a bit here without knowing all the details, but these are probably a group of kids who are mostly, white, rich, private-school educated, and feel incredibly entitled. They've gone through their HS years being able to do and say pretty much whatever they want because of their status.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 08:07 AM)
i havent heard if the cameraman/whistleblower who filmed it and texted it out was identified by the fraternity. I have to imagine he was

I bet it's a she. Judging from the video, it appeared to be a date function, I think it was somebody's date who had no idea that stuff was going on in that house.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
I bet it's a she. Judging from the video, it appeared to be a date function, I think it was somebody's date who had no idea that stuff was going on in that house.

Had to be a she, either way that group of guys (it could have been a pledge class worth) are dumb as s***. That s*** wouldnt have flown in our fraternity and you were liable to get your ass kicked if you said or did something that stupid at a date function.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
MSNBC host and a couple other op-ed writers including Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol blame "rap music" for the controversy.

Twitter bursts into action with hashtag "#RapAlbumsThatCausedSlavery"

Rap music is definitely to blame for white kids in a frat that has been historically racist singing racist songs. After all, rap music totally embellishes the n word said with a hard r.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 11:44 PM)
hope you'd get your ass kicked for saying something that awful regardless of the function you said it at.

Absolutely. We had a fairly diverse membership for how little diversity actually went to Miami. Those guys alone would beat the s*** out of you.

I was happy to see the punishment was swift. I do have some empathy for what Rock hinted at earlier. The innocent guys who were not involved that were thrown out of their house and are labeled as racist for belonging to that fraternity. Maybe it is deserved, but I never have supported a blanket condemnation of everyone and punishing innocent people. Expel all the people you catch singing, investigate and nail every one of the morons you can, but the innocent people shouldn't be punished. People should be judged by their actions.

I also wish we could eliminate n***** from our vocabularies. I especially dislike the current culture that n***er is bad but somehow n***a is ok for some people to say. Many of us older people still hear that as a ugly and violent word of hatred, no matter how you try and hide it.

We also have a culture where we cheerfully accept violence when we are watching tv and movies, singing songs, or playing video games. Singing about murdering people by hanging = bad. Cheering as you murder people by shooting in a game = acceptable. There are way more than a dozen people singing narco-corridos which depict the same kinds of acts, and they are tolerated and even celebrated. Gansta rap basically falls into the same line as narco corridos. Violence against people. But if there is big money to be earned or entertainment value for the masses it is accepted.

Instead we stop at rooting out a small group of people in Oklahoma and think we've actually done something important to stop this. The problem is bigger and needs to be addressed.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 08:04 AM)
I was happy to see the punishment was swift. I do have some empathy for what Rock hinted at earlier. The innocent guys who were not involved that were thrown out of their house and are labeled as racist for belonging to that fraternity. Maybe it is deserved, but I never have supported a blanket condemnation of everyone and punishing innocent people. Expel all the people you catch singing, investigate and nail every one of the morons you can, but the innocent people shouldn't be punished. People should be judged by their actions.

I also wish we could eliminate n***** from our vocabularies. I especially dislike the current culture that n***er is bad but somehow n***a is ok for some people to say. Many of us older people still hear that as a ugly and violent word of hatred, no matter how you try and hide it.

We also have a culture where we cheerfully accept violence when we are watching tv and movies, singing songs, or playing video games. Singing about murdering people by hanging = bad. Cheering as you murder people by shooting in a game = acceptable. There are way more than a dozen people singing narco-corridos which depict the same kinds of acts, and they are tolerated and even celebrated. Gansta rap basically falls into the same line as narco corridos. Violence against people. But if there is big money to be earned or entertainment value for the masses it is accepted.

Instead we stop at rooting out a small group of people in Oklahoma and think we've actually done something important to stop this. The problem is bigger and needs to be addressed.

Yup, we need to focus on the bigger problems like rap music and video games. Those are the things that are really bringing society down. Definitely not dumb, hate-filled people, it's Call of Duty & Jay-Z that should be blamed here.

as a disclaimer, i am a minority, i fought for peoples rights when i worked for the gov.

my problem is in the civil liberties part of the law. in today age, people are too swift to do what they think is the right thing, b/c they may be afraid of what the public reactions may be. this group, has rights, maybe the outlook is skewed, but i am talking about rights, that people fought for.

next there is due process and due diligence that needed to be followed.

hate groups are always going to be around, there has to be a way to nullified their msg, their goal without giving them an opportunity to have their time in court and all the publicity that come with it, and again within the scope of the law.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 08:23 AM)
Yup, we need to focus on the bigger problems like rap music and video games. Those are the things that are really bringing society down. Definitely not dumb, hate-filled people, it's Call of Duty & Jay-Z that should be blamed here.

I agree, dumb hate filled people are the problem. When they sing about dumb, hate filled things, or celebrate dumb, hate filled things, it's a problem.

That was my point. These guys were singing a dumb hate filled song. There are other dumb hate filled songs out there. Listen to a few narco-corridos for example.

Which is worse? Singing about murdering people or playing a game and murdering people? The people in the song are representations of real people, so to are the images on the screen.

But if you don't believe that song lyrics are a problem, why worry about their song? No matter how they sang their song, put a rap beat behind it or a metal sound, it is bad. Now are those really the only song lyrics that are wrong in our society? People are disrespected all the time in our culture. We celebrate disrespecting people in our music, our movies, and our literature.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
I agree, dumb hate filled people are the problem. When they sing about dumb, hate filled things, or celebrate dumb, hate filled things, it's a problem.

That was my point. These guys were singing a dumb hate filled song. There are other dumb hate filled songs out there. Listen to a few narco-corridos for example.

Which is worse? Singing about murdering people or playing a game and murdering people? The people in the song are representations of real people, so to are the images on the screen.

But if you don't believe that song lyrics are a problem, why worry about their song? No matter how they sang their song, put a rap beat behind it or a metal sound, it is bad. Now are those really the only song lyrics that are wrong in our society? People are disrespected all the time in our culture. We celebrate disrespecting people in our music, our movies, and our literature.

Sorry, but we don't celebrate disrespecting people for the color of their skin in our music, movies, & literature. And please name me one rap song that has a line about killing someone simply for being a different race. That s*** wouldn't fly in this day and age.

And I believe it would be that way if they invented a video game that people played. If video games really don't matter than a game where the people drove around earning points by lynching people would be cool. We can't blame anything on songs, games, or movies. So a lynching game is totally cool with you guys? I really doubt it.

Now if we decide that people who played that game would be wrong, then why is it right to murder anyone in a video game? Are we at the point where we differentiate which murders are bad and which are good? Guns and fantasy weapons OK, ropes bad? Killing them with cars = awesome Hanging = evil? Or are the victims what makes the difference? Are some lives just worth more than others? Do we differentiate in video games like we seem to do in real life?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
Sorry, but we don't celebrate disrespecting people for the color of their skin in our music, movies, & literature. And please name me one rap song that has a line about killing someone simply for being a different race. That s*** wouldn't fly in this day and age.

If reasons are important is having no reason to kill someone really better?

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 07:42 AM)
And I believe it would be that way if they invented a video game that people played. If video games really don't matter than a game where the people drove around earning points by lynching people would be cool. We can't blame anything on songs, games, or movies. So a lynching game is totally cool with you guys? I really doubt it.

Now if we decide that people who played that game would be wrong, then why is it right to murder anyone in a video game? Are we at the point where we differentiate which murders are bad and which are good? Guns and fantasy weapons OK, ropes bad? Killing them with cars = awesome Hanging = evil? Or are the victims what makes the difference? Are some lives just worth more than others? Do we differentiate in video games like we seem to do in real life?

I have no idea what this is supposed to be responding to.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 07:43 AM)
If reasons are important is having no reason to kill someone really better?

Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds / I took a shot of cocaine and shot my woman down / I went right home and I went to bed / I stuck that lovin' forty-four beneath my head

The idea that we shouldn't be concerned about anything in video games. Singing a song that these boys probably didn't write was enough to get them expelled. We all agree that was appropriate. Now if instead they produced a video game where the object is to kill as many people as possible by lynching, would that be ok? Or better still, would it be ok to play the game because after all it isn't "real" and we shouldn't blame any violence or acts in our society on video games.

I don't agree that expulsion from a public university was appropriate. It seems like a pretty clear violation of their first amendment rights.

I have no idea why you're talking about video games, but if they made a game that was explicitly racist as the song they sang and was essentially a pro-KKK game set in 1920's Mississippi or something, it would be even worse than the song just based on the effort of that versus singing a song.

It seems like you're still thinking the biggest problems with the song are that they used "n*****" or that it was somehow speaking approvingly of generic, non-racist lynching or something. At least that's the only way I can get to you video game comparison. The problem with the song isn't some sort of generalized approval of violence, it's specifically the racially targeted, white supremacist violence.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
I don't agree that expulsion from a public university was appropriate. It seems like a pretty clear violation of their first amendment rights.

I have no idea why you're talking about video games, but if they made a game that was explicitly racist as the song they sang and was essentially a pro-KKK game set in 1920's Mississippi or something, it would be even worse than the song just based on the effort of that versus singing a song.

It seems like you're still thinking the biggest problems with the song are that they used "n*****" or that it was somehow speaking approvingly of generic, non-racist lynching or something. At least that's the only way I can get to you video game comparison. The problem with the song isn't some sort of generalized approval of violence, it's specifically the racially targeted, white supremacist violence.

no matter how sterile people / administrators / government tries to make it, people will have ugly thoughts based on anything. my immediate problem, is how the school over reacted and now will give more news coverage to this stupidity. b/c of all the lawsuits that will come from the students and their parents. why, b/c their civil liberties, their rights, were violated.