ST: 3/11 vs Rangers

flavum

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
Eh, nothing hit hard at all.

Nothing for extra bases, but I don't know about "nothing hit hard." Couple well-hit flyouts in addition to the singles.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
Oh well, he was supposed to working on more changups, was that the case?

I didn't notice much about pitch mix. To my eyes, the breaker didn't have a ton of bite and he was leaving stuff up in the zone in general. Didn't look awful, just definitely not sharp.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 10:39 PM)
Nothing for extra bases, but I don't know about "nothing hit hard." Couple well-hit flyouts in addition to the singles.

I didn't notice much about pitch mix. To my eyes, the breaker didn't have a ton of bite and he was leaving stuff up in the zone in general. Didn't look awful, just definitely not sharp.

he is a promising rookie with a promising career. i really can't to see when he puts all together.

Rodon definitely wasn't sharp, and his fastball wasn't crisp.

They weren't all over him, but they weren't swinging and missing much at all on the fastballs, which he threw 85%. Hence, the idea that he was mostly out there to get to his pitch count (50?) and work on fastball command/control on the corners.

He wasn't exactly hit around in the first, balls found some holes....then again, he did get lucky when a runner was stealing and the batter hit the ball right at where Sanchez was running to cover the bag or it would have been another hit.

Gallo did a good job of going with the pitch and taking it to the opposite field, fwiw.

To me, the biggest problem was his control and the fact that he kept getting behind in the count and was forced to come over the heart of the plate with fastballs. He didn't seem TOO ruffled about things, and Brantly didn't help matters much at all, EITHER.

He probably threw less than a half dozen sliders, and they were more slurvish than the sharp breaking one that's his plus/plus pitch. Melton was remarking that Rodon threw 97 MPH at NC State when he broke onto the scene as a prospect, and seemed to believe he was at 95-97 MPH today, but just from the naked eye and the batter's reactions, I'd guess it was 91-93/94. No proof of that at all, just my idea.

The change-up, the 3rd pitch he's supposedly been working on...definitely a work in progress and way below average. It will get better if he improves his fastball command, can get ahead in counts and then the hitter gets into defense mode.

The one main plus is that he's not going to go through the spring with a 0.00 ERA and force a discussion with Boras and the media about it being a travesty if he's not on the OD roster.

As for height, I'd say 6'1 or 6'2", he's a BIG guy, the power in his trunk/torso/legs makes him appear shorter than reality because of his build.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 12, 2015 -> 03:42 AM)
Rodon definitely wasn't sharp, and his fastball wasn't crisp.

They weren't all over him, but they weren't swinging and missing much at all on the fastballs, which he threw 85%. Hence, the idea that he was mostly out there to get to his pitch count (50?) and work on fastball command/control on the corners.

He wasn't exactly hit around in the first, balls found some holes....then again, he did get lucky when a runner was stealing and the batter hit the ball right at where Sanchez was running to cover the bag or it would have been another hit.

Gallo did a good job of going with the pitch and taking it to the opposite field, fwiw.

To me, the biggest problem was his control and the fact that he kept getting behind in the count and was forced to come over the heart of the plate with fastballs. He didn't seem TOO ruffled about things, and Brantly didn't help matters much at all, EITHER.

He probably threw less than a half dozen sliders, and they were more slurvish than the sharp breaking one that's his plus/plus pitch. Melton was remarking that Rodon threw 97 MPH at NC State when he broke onto the scene as a prospect, and seemed to believe he was at 95-97 MPH today, but just from the naked eye and the batter's reactions, I'd guess it was 91-93/94. No proof of that at all, just my idea.

The change-up, the 3rd pitch he's supposedly been working on...definitely a work in progress and way below average. It will get better if he improves his fastball command, can get ahead in counts and then the hitter gets into defense mode.

The one main plus is that he's not going to go through the spring with a 0.00 ERA and force a discussion with Boras and the media about it being a travesty if he's not on the OD roster.

As for height, I'd say 6'1 or 6'2", he's a BIG guy, the power in his trunk/torso/legs makes him appear shorter than reality because of his build.

a really nice write-up.