Job Thread

Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
You don't have to teach the rest of your life. Maybe sub and coach until you find your next step. Try not to be picky.

I'm not trying to be picky. I know I can't be picky because the student loans will be coming in shortly after and other bills.

Can someone still be a sub without a degree in education? I never put much thought into it. I just figured I wouldn't be able to sub because of what my college degree is in.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
I'm not trying to be picky. I know I can't be picky because the student loans will be coming in shortly after and other bills.

Can someone still be a sub without a degree in education? I never put much thought into it. I just figured I wouldn't be able to sub because of what my college degree is in.

Depends on the particular school system, but typically having a degree is enough.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
Depends on the particular school system, but typically having a degree is enough.

In some districts a HS diploma and some college is enough. I know of a few local college students that are subbing while attending college. There are shortages of subs everywhere. Last Friday, while I was at a conference and my sub was in the classroom, there were 10 classrooms short of subs. Basically at my school if you wake up unable to go to school the chances of getting a sub are about 50-50. I am out of my classroom 40-50 days with golf tournaments. Having a reliable, qualified sub was my first priority. She can teach the class almost as well as I can at this point.

In some districts a HS diploma and some college is enough. I know of a few local college students that are subbing while attending college. There are shortages of subs everywhere. Last Friday, while I was at a conference and my sub was in the classroom, there were 10 classrooms short of subs. Basically at my school if you wake up unable to go to school the chances of getting a sub are about 50-50. I am out of my classroom 40-50 days with golf tournaments. Having a reliable, qualified sub was my first priority. She can teach the class almost as well as I can at this point.

As a parent I'm not sure I'd want my kid to have a teacher that misses 40+ days per year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)
As a parent I'm not sure I'd want my kid to have a teacher that misses 40+ days per year.

I share that concern which is why having a quality, fully certified, and capable substitute teacher is necessary. Basically it is the only way to have a golf program. I have over thirty players ranging from boys and girls varsity to novice. Each is allowed by state rules to miss seven days for tournaments. Then we have district and regional competitions which are two days each. That is also why most of the golf coaches in this district have master's and teach upper division AP and honors courses. Unlike every other sport golf has to go out into the public marketplace for facilities. Courses will not shut down for

Coaching is a great way to better your teaching skills. Coaching is basically a series of formative assignments leading to a summative exam. Teaching is the same.

I share that concern which is why having a quality, fully certified, and capable substitute teacher is necessary. Basically it is the only way to have a golf program. I have over thirty players ranging from boys and girls varsity to novice. Each is allowed by state rules to miss seven days for tournaments. Then we have district and regional competitions which are two days each. That is also why most of the golf coaches in this district have master's and teach upper division AP and honors courses. Unlike every other sport golf has to go out into the public marketplace for facilities. Courses will not shut down for

Coaching is a great way to better your teaching skills. Coaching is basically a series of formative assignments leading to a summative exam. Teaching is the same.

In Indiana kids do not miss school for athletic events in any sport. At most, they would get out 1-2 hours early to travel to a distant event.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
In Indiana kids do not miss school for athletic events in any sport. At most, they would get out 1-2 hours early to travel to a distant event.

It happens, just not very often. The regular season is pretty well scheduled to avoid that, but with some of the bigger conferences (the NCC for example, or teams playing in out of state tournaments, sometimes it happens. It also happens because of time differences.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 06:31 AM)
Got a response about a job in Arizona. An email saying someone will contact me about an interview. Hoping this week but the past few months have taught me to not keep my hopes up.

I searched for the Human Resources Director on linkedin and sent her an e-mail to follow up. Feels like I'm stalking women on Facebook or something.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
Got my first job last week. Crew member at Culver's. Pretty groundbreaking stuff

Heath Concretes on Abreu!!

Everyone should be required to work customer service for one year of their life. I believe everyone would treat everyone better in the world.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
Considering starting a consulting firm with some colleagues...anyone here have their own firm? Work for one?

Is this something to do with the business you are in now? If so be careful of any NDA's and anything that could be considered proprietary information belonging to your current employer. They will have a team of lawyers on retainer, who could easily bankrupt you before you get going.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Is this something to do with the business you are in now? If so be careful of any NDA's and anything that could be considered proprietary information belonging to your current employer. They will have a team of lawyers on retainer, who could easily bankrupt you before you get going.

Yes, this would be an energy consulting firm. Good point...especially considering the number of people from the mothership that would be a part of the founding team.

The nice thing is, one of them is a lawyer.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
Yes, this would be an energy consulting firm. Good point...especially considering the number of people from the mothership that would be a part of the founding team.

The nice thing is, one of them is a lawyer.

If it is something that your current employer could see as pulling dollars from their pockets, be prepared to be sued, even if there is only marginal merit to it. The simple act of dragging you guys into court early and often could achieve the goal of killing any potential competition as they bleed you guys dry. The bigger hit this would cause to their bottom line, the more likely they would be to come after you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
If it is something that your current employer could see as pulling dollars from their pockets, be prepared to be sued, even if there is only marginal merit to it. The simple act of dragging you guys into court early and often could achieve the goal of killing any potential competition as they bleed you guys dry. The bigger hit this would cause to their bottom line, the more likely they would be to come after you.

I don't think they would mind the business we'd be in...more so just leaving with some of their employees.

The consulting business doesn't compete with their business.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 06:22 PM)
I don't think they would mind the business we'd be in...more so just leaving with some of their employees.

The consulting business doesn't compete with their business.

If you think you have a clear path, more power to you, and best of luck. Those are the big things I have seen in the trading industry that can pull down a new firm.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
If you think you have a clear path, more power to you, and best of luck. Those are the big things I have seen in the trading industry that can pull down a new firm.

No, I appreciate the words of caution.

My larger concern is them blackballing us a bit more so than them sueing.