Job Thread

Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 10:11 PM)
Any technical folks looking for flexible but well paying jobs? My company needs services consultants real bad. We have so much work and nobody to do it.

What are the requirements and salary?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
How technical we talking here?

Pretty technical. Be able to install and implement software and integrate with other platforms. Knowledge of virtual machines, security, databases, LDAP, federation etc. We train a lot but you need some knowledge

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 09:59 PM)
That's awesome, Russ!

A good offer?

Very solid offer, small bump up financially but a great opportunity in a company that is rock solid financially and I absolutely loved the people I interviewed with. Planning on accepting Monday.

The team I'm on is about 4-5 times the size of my current team, it's pretty crazy. And I'll be the product manager for the technology, so hands off and focused on design, prioritization, user experience, etc. Very excited to hopefully make impactful changes.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 09:53 PM)
Very solid offer, small bump up financially but a great opportunity in a company that is rock solid financially and I absolutely loved the people I interviewed with. Planning on accepting Monday.

The team I'm on is about 4-5 times the size of my current team, it's pretty crazy. And I'll be the product manager for the technology, so hands off and focused on design, prioritization, user experience, etc. Very excited to hopefully make impactful changes.

Sounds amazing!

Couldn't be happier for you, buddy! Keep us posted!

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:53 PM)

Good stuff mate.

Where are you moving?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:53 PM)

:cheers

Thanks guys!! Gave my notice today and officially accepted the offer. My boss is out on PTO so went to my boss' boss to tell him, and man what an awkward, terrible conversation.

• He was shocked by it - I literally told HR that I was looking externally 2 weeks ago and I knew backchannels had been made to inform them that I had turned down an offer just 3-4 months ago.
  • He took a crap on the position I told him I would have - Not even a "good luck" or well wishes for my success. Just said he wouldn't hire anyone with my new title (which may be true, but only for people like him really).
  • Tried to sell me on staying with additional "leadership" opportunities - which was essentially just signing me up for more work without actually leading people or anything.

I didn't want to burn any bridges so kept my mouth shut and was just thankful for the opportunities they did give but I walked out of that meeting and completed the acceptance as soon as I could. I'm in disbelief with how badly that meeting went.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)
Good stuff mate.

Where are you moving?

Milwaukee, which I love so I am really excited about it.

Just dreading the moving/renting out my condo/missing friends stuff.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
Thanks guys!! Gave my notice today and officially accepted the offer. My boss is out on PTO so went to my boss' boss to tell him, and man what an awkward, terrible conversation.

• He was shocked by it - I literally told HR that I was looking externally 2 weeks ago and I knew backchannels had been made to inform them that I had turned down an offer just 3-4 months ago.
  • He took a crap on the position I told him I would have - Not even a "good luck" or well wishes for my success. Just said he wouldn't hire anyone with my new title (which may be true, but only for people like him really).
  • Tried to sell me on staying with additional "leadership" opportunities - which was essentially just signing me up for more work without actually leading people or anything.

I didn't want to burn any bridges so kept my mouth shut and was just thankful for the opportunities they did give but I walked out of that meeting and completed the acceptance as soon as I could. I'm in disbelief with how badly that meeting went.

Yikes. With that kind of leadership there, it sounds like you made the right decision.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)

None of what you said shocks me ;)

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
Milwaukee, which I love so I am really excited about it.

Just dreading the moving/renting out my condo/missing friends stuff.

Just know this...you will soon be at an age where your friends are all getting married and knocking up their wives and raising families...you will hardly ever see them anymore anyways...and you'll end up talking to strangers on sports forums more than your own childhood friends....oh wait...that's me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
Just know this...you will soon be at an age where your friends are all getting married and knocking up their wives and raising families...you will hardly ever see them anymore anyways...and you'll end up talking to strangers on sports forums more than your own childhood friends....oh wait...that's me.

I resemble this.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 08:45 PM)
I resemble this.

I'm 26 and I'm getting to this point in my life. All my friends in relationships are hardly around anymore. Had some weddings for some friends within 2-4 years older than me last year, which I refer to as "the first wave." My other friends about the same age as me are starting to get engaged so there will be a decent amount of weddings between the next year-4 years I think.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 07:09 AM)
I'm 26 and I'm getting to this point in my life. All my friends in relationships are hardly around anymore. Had some weddings for some friends within 2-4 years older than me last year, which I refer to as "the first wave." My other friends about the same age as me are starting to get engaged so there will be a decent amount of weddings between the next year-4 years I think.

Just wait til the kids start coming...

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)

Yep, this is right where I am with all my friends getting engaged/married/moving in with their significant others. Meanwhile I was breaking up with my girlfriend of 5 years.

I have a new girlfriend, and she's great, but now I'm on the step of finding a new job. I'm looking for something in the Account Executive or Sales role so if anyone knows of or recommends anywhere I'd love to check stuff out. I live right next to the train station in Lisle and am not opposed to finding something downtown. The new girlfriend lives in the Gold Coast so it might help out that as well.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
Yep, this is right where I am with all my friends getting engaged/married/moving in with their significant others. Meanwhile I was breaking up with my girlfriend of 5 years.

I have a new girlfriend, and she's great, but now I'm on the step of finding a new job. I'm looking for something in the Account Executive or Sales role so if anyone knows of or recommends anywhere I'd love to check stuff out. I live right next to the train station in Lisle and am not opposed to finding something downtown. The new girlfriend lives in the Gold Coast so it might help out that as well.

The thing for me too is my gf works a lot of weekends, like Fri-Sun sometimes. I work a normal Mon-Fri job. I'm not really feeling that anymore and feel like it's time for us to break up. It's aggravating wanting to do something and all of my friends either have work, lazy from the work week, or spending time with their gfs/wives.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
The thing for me too is my gf works a lot of weekends, like Fri-Sun sometimes. I work a normal Mon-Fri job. I'm not really feeling that anymore and feel like it's time for us to break up. It's aggravating wanting to do something and all of my friends either have work, lazy from the work week, or spending time with their gfs/wives.

This is just my advice, learn to live and be happy by yourself.

Between the ages of 22-25 I was working a consistent work schedule: Tue-Sat. So of course everyone wants to be with their family or significant other on a Sunday and everyone is back at work on Monday's.

But, I HAD some great times going out to the city on a Sunday evening, meeting new people, having a girl swing by every now and then and some time to just myself. I'm a dad now and I feel happy being with my gf and 6 month old. The whole friend thing I don't really miss cause I guess I never really had much of it. And no, I'm not a loner. I will occasionally have friends swing by and they understand since I don't have the liberty to just go out without having to take the baby with.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)

My girlfriend is a resident at Lurie downtown averaging 80 hrs a week, meanwhile i work 40 hrs a week in the burbs. The timing can be really tough but I completely understand. Luckily I'm pretty good being happy by myself. I'm taking a two week road trip to the west coast in July by myself. Last year did the same thing to the East coast.

Everything in my life feels great, outside of my current job situation.